Food Lockdown Loaves

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Bryan Collins, Mar 20, 2020.

1. I was thinking more about fridge temperature and the crust setting before the inside is hot. As the inside heats up and expands it will force through the crust.

Mark Palmer likes this.
  2. G. W o l f f likes this.
  3. I have just given Debbi a copy of this book as a lockdown present.
    She set about reading it straight away.
    Her first question, as I had told her that my reference being the Ooni and this Lockdown loaves thread was.....
    Well, do they mill their own flour?:eek:
    Edit to add that I was referring to the book Ian and Mark had been discussing. 3262E3CC-CCC4-4FFA-A701-C8FAC9A7F5BB.jpeg

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  4. Why of course we do Ray. Mostly after we’ve sprouted it first.....

I’m sure it’s a lovely thing to do, but I’m leaving that as a project for the next lockdown....

5. Plenty of different white strong flours in stock at Marriages, as well as some plain and self raising should anyone have any need. Dark rye too but no light rye

Mark Roper likes this.
  6. Prompted by this I just checked Mr Stoate.

Everything except strong white bread flour available. Only in 8kg sacks, so only for the truly committed (or those who need to be).

7. 91F298DD-0C74-4FBA-B66E-CC47CAC64EC3.jpeg 5CDE6A2A-DD4F-44C0-AC92-CBC9111AFAC9.jpeg Bannetons are in the post from Bakery Bits(huzzah!) but improving loaves nonetheless. Approx 95% Wessex Mill Strong white plus 5% rye starter with a reduced 70% hydration (thanks Tom). Noughts and crosses slashing gave a great ear with crumb and flavour the best yet. I have to admit to myself that I prefer a largely white loaf which is very disappointing.

8. Same here, for sourdough at least. I end up with 1/8 rye, 7/8 white (all the rye coming from the 50:50 rye/white starter.) Having that small amount of rye is definitely beneficial, and not just for keeping the starter hyperactive. I don't like much more though, and much as I like wholemeal sandwich loaves etc, I just can't bring myself to like wholemeal sourdough.

Jim Agar likes this.
  9. It looks great, though shows evidence of an impatience to get on with cutting into it!

10. I'm enjoying 80% white with 10% each of dark rye and coarse wholemeal at the moment. Unless the bread's all going to be eaten in the 24 hours or so after baking I would include some brown flour if for no other reason than increasing the keeping quality.

11. It was ever so slightly warm after about 90 minutes out of the oven. Out of interest, how could you tell?

12. Rather provocative posts from the resident forum heathens.

Jim Agar likes this.
  13. Ah, does a small amount of wholemeal make a reasonable difference to shelf life? A loaf generally lasts us 3-4 days and anything past day 2 is noticeably inferior.

14. With four heathens in our household, a loaf barely lasts till it’s fully cold!

Bryan Collins likes this.
  15. It tastes better, it lasts better and it’s better for you.

Or

TASTES BETTER
    LASTS BETTER
    BETTER FOR YOU

if it’s slogans you need, I prefer.....

86974917-650C-4929-95B8-DD4E6A22247B.jpeg

Mark Gough and Bryan Collins like this.
  16. Well, I disagree with the first and the other two are utterly irrelevant, for a number of reasons!
    Yours
    A. Heathen Esq.

Mark Palmer likes this.
  17. The crumb hasn't completely set, which is quite easily visible.

I think the larger the brown flour component( I suspect rye is the better extender giving its moisture retaining properties) the longer the life-by the time one gets to 100% dark rye it actually improves over a week, and I find the joys of an all white loaf considerably reduced after even 12 hours; so it sounds as if Jim is being entirely sensible given his household's rate of consumption.

18. Oops!! A Blachian Pancake this morning.....

Over-proofed/fermented.

2D7A6F44-FC38-4100-8415-2342F17147B1.jpeg 51EED79A-4BEB-4365-B6B2-CC1EA9A64627.jpeg

19. Rather disheartening, is it not? I wonder if there is a way to pull back an overproved dough.
    I did an overnight rise last night having used only 30g of starter, the weather being quite warm. I hadn't done that before but it seemed a very successful way of dealing with clement weather.

20. To add insult to injury it turns out that I forgot to add the salt......

21. I too would like to formally submit my application to join The Discus Club.

I misjudged the rate of consumption of the previous loaf such that the next one was ready to bake earlier than would be ideal. Rather than baking it anyway I held it in the fridge for an extra 24 hours before baking, to preserve freshness. My usual practice of baking it anyway would probably have been better (it seems that staleness is held somewhat at bay prior to the loaf being first cut into.)

F43CD775-E296-483C-8557-7AC09984B1E1.jpeg

Mark Palmer likes this.
  22. Think of all those delicious Tuscan specialities you can now recreate!

23. Bizarrely it was still relatively uncooked in the middle. Utterly inedible to The Dustbin’s chagrin.

All of the clues were there I just didn’t process them. The dough was sticky and wet. I normally give it a few slap and folds. Bits kept flying off as I was folding. After fermentation it wouldn’t come out of the bowl as it was stuck to it. It wouldn’t hold a shape as I tried to pre-shape. It felt all wrong every time I handled it. No elasticity.

Shakes head in embarrassment.

24. Tuscan bread is more or less inedible but it makes nice panzanella and pappa al pomodoro.

25. But oh, how sweet to read to the host of the rest of us, who have been reading this thread during days in which their supermarket white sliced has tasted paler and more disappointing than ever before.