NWR Comforting TV and web distractions from you know what

Ghosts on iPlayer is fun and gently weird. There's an entertainingly obscure Piedmontese wine reference in Episode 5, too.

For more serious and ambitious television, I thought the TV version of Fargo (which sort of follow the universe of the film) were magnificent. On Netflix. Also with unsettling and remarkable use of classical music in the 2nd and 3rd series...

On a different vein, Radiohead are posting a classic show of theirs every Thursday on Youtube, last week was at Lollapalooza Berlin 2016 and was really excellent

Can I comment as someone even older than nigel ?!! I can sort of see why some might think it’s not worth watching beyond the first the first ten minutes or so of episode 1 because they see it as somehow prurient. But there’s so much more to Fleabag than the first ten minutes, whether those minutes are a bit shocking/surprising, hilarious, uncomfortable, or whatever.
I too thought it fantastic tv. I’d strongly urge those who hated the deliberately shocking opening episode to persevere. But apologise if I cause further offence by suggesting so.
Fair point, and I am willing to give it another go. Perhaps the first part of the episode was intentionally written to have shock value.

Unfortunately, I have no way of watching it now as I saw that part on an Air Canada flight. I think it's only on Amazon Prime here.

(On the flight, I stopped watching that and watched The Revenant instead, which was certainly also shocking, but in a different way)

It's worth remembering that it is adapted from a stage monologue that began on the Edinburgh fringe, something far removed from the mainsteam television status it now enjoys. It is not aimed at my age group, and for myself I prefer more innocent comedy shows like 'Are You Being Served?' or 'Robin's Nest'. While I am faintly surprised that it is accepted without much public demur I am glad that it is, and as you did we can always switch it off!

Admission: I bought a DVD set of "Man About the House" last year.

Another: I bought Morecambe and Wise's Christmas Specials DVD set a few weeks ago

I have the redux cut on dvd. It was interesting but not sure the extra scenes were required over the original cinema release. The final cut is 20 minutes shorter than the redux.

We did try to watch Frankenstein from the National Theatre with Benedict Cumberbatch as the monster on YouTube, but the first 15 minutes of him writhing and flapping about the stage having just been 'born' was so embarassing and, basically awful, that we just had to switch it off.

I watched the other version with Cumberbatch as Dr Frankenstein.

The first 15-20 minutes were very odd, I agree. I had nothing better to do, so stuck with it. It got better, but I wouldn't class it as the National Theatre's finest hour.

I'll be watching Anthony & Cleopatra tonight.

I have to say that I am very grateful for the opportunity to see all these. It's almost like being a student again and rolling up to the National Theatre box office with 5 minutes before curtain up, and seeing if they'd let me in for a fiver.

Someone recommended Chernobyl on either this or another thread. Turned it on at 9pm on Friday and had to force myself to go to bed at 1, rather than finishing the series. Gripping from beginning to end and one of the very best series I have ever watched.

Even better though was last Sunday, when I connected a dvd drive to the tv and we started watching Coupling again, it’s the best UK comedy for me since Faulty Towers and we watch the complete series every 5 years or so. If you have not watched it before, just try and construct a comedy plot around the lines ‘I have too many legs’. Thats in Season 2 and I can’t wait to watching again. .

I’ve been enjoying a couple of BBC Three comedy series aimed at the yoof: This Country and Young Offenders. Both slightly offensive and all the funnier for it, and both wonderfully acted.

I’ve also finally watched Detectorists which was also very enjoyable in a gentle way.

Although not a particular fan of Formula 1 racing I found the two seasons of 'Formula 1:drive to survive' on Netflix completely addictive and hoovered them up over the last fortnight. It is a documentary series and takes the viewer inside the drive, politics, finance and personal relationships of the teams in Formula 1, both on the track and behind the scenes.