NWR Comforting TV and web distractions from you know what

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Jeremy Caan, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. I saw this last night

The full National Theatre production of the farce
    One Man, Two Guvnors
    starring James Corden

is available free of charge until 7 pm Thursday 9 April at

If you have an internet enabled TV you should be able to watch it on your big screen by going to the YouTube channel, and if it doesn't already show on the home page (it did last night) use the search.

Fired from his skiffle band, Francis Henshall (Corden) becomes minder to Roscoe Crabbe, a small time East End hood, now in Brighton to collect £6,000 from his fiancée’s dad. But Roscoe is really his sister Rachel posing as her own dead brother, who’s been killed by her boyfriend Stanley Stubbers.
    Holed up at The Cricketers’ Arms, the permanently ravenous Francis spots the chance of an extra meal ticket and takes a second job with one Stanley Stubbers, who is hiding from the police and waiting to be re-united with Rachel. To prevent discovery, Francis must keep his two guvnors apart. Simple.

3. We saw this at the Lowry in Salford when it went on tour after its initial run at the National. It was absolutely hilarious, although whether that would come across without being in a live audience I don’t know.

4. I started watching Big Night on Netflix the other night. Mid 90’s film that I was unaware of, but it is very enjoyable. Great characters and lovely foody references

Jeremy Caan and Chris Davies like this.
  5. We watched 'Uncorked' on Netflix the other night and found it to be thoroughly entertaining.

Jeremy Caan likes this.
  6. A wonderful, gentle film with top-class performances.

Jeremy Caan and Robbie Ward like this.
  7. Saw this when it came out and thought it very good. Another restaurant themed film you might enjoy is 'Dinner Rush'.

Robbie Ward likes this.
  8. There's a good dose of Keith Floyd on iPlayer which is quite wonderful.

9. There are some wonderful Opera productions being streamed over the next few weeks. ROH and Operavision on YouTube, and of course the plays from the National Theatre. One Man, Two Guvners was as hilarious as when we saw it live.

Plenty of movies and other interesting diversions on Open Culture as well.

Jeremy Caan likes this.
  10. The latest westworld series is again looking like it’s in a different league to any other tv series.

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  11. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

You know I really try hard to moderate with the most gentle hand, but just to say that if anyone recommends Gordon, Gino and Fred do America (or whatever it is called) they will be banned immediately - or at least as soon as I've stopped retching. And I've only seen the trailer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  12. I've been trying to watch films to take my mind off the incessant bad "news", partly on Netflix, but also from our DVD stash. Really enjoyed "Goodbye Lenin" on Saturday. As for TV, Sunday night combines Simon Reeve travelling down the America's (a different perspective) with Race Around The World (in this series from Mexico City to the tip of Argentina). I'm not sure why we watch this. I wouldn't argue that it's great TV, in fact it can be very annoying, but for someone with wanderlust (like me) it is compelling.

I'm constantly being exhorted to watch web broadcasts on wine. Some stuff is pretty good, others dull and self-indulgent. I've tasted with Steve Matthiasson and with Jack Roberts in Napa Valley and listened to three winemakers discussing Furmint (one of them a Loire producer). I've also watched a "Sommelier of the Year" (2018) winner talking about Moravian wine (and tomorrow I shall do the same, watching my friend Ania Smelskaya of Silo Restaurant, via the Basket Press Wines Instagram feed). But I think that the voracious appetite to keep getting stuff out there from wine importers does mean that there's really a little too much to keep on top of. Mostly I'd just like to spend half of each day reading (and I've been doing that until 9.00am in bed rather than getting up at 6.45am as usual). I am, thank god, actually getting dressed, although I've not shaved for two weeks.

At least the clampdown has enabled me to listen to lots of music, though why I'm listening to Toyah's "Ieya" on 12" right now some of you might wonder (though it was preceded by Grandmaster Flash, Pink Military, The Pop Group, Cabaret Voltaire, James Brown and Manu Dibango, with Television and Eek A Mouse to follow).

Jonathan Collier likes this.
  13. Love Cabaret Voltaire. The 12" mix of Sensoria is one of my all-time favourite tracks. The clip was super cool, too.

David Crossley likes this.
  14. A couple of ‘feel good’ movies we’ve watched recently and enjoyed:

The Way - with Martin Sheen walking the pilgrim trail to Santiago de Compostela

Fishermans Friends - Set in Port Isaac in Cornwall and loosely based on a true story of how a local group singing sea shanties in the pub made it big.

Or you could always watch Will Smith in I Am Legend to see what will happen to us when the Coronavirus mutates!

15. A 'friend' recommended this to me last week. I watched one episode. It is appalling tosh.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  16. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

That some pathetic, idea-vacuum of a production company thought "Let's do a Top Gear with food" is so obvious, and the result so low-brow and so, frankly, mind-numbingly condescending, that I really cannot bear it.

Nayan Gowda likes this.
  17. Toyahs finest moment by far. Great song.

Pink Military only made the 1 album and it was not a big thing even at the time. Tried to love it as a teenager, but it was a bit dour for me. Just flicked through the track listing and ‘After Hiroshima’ is the only 1 I can remember, although something tells me that the last track in the album was the best. I’m sure I remember Jane Casey playing a great set on the Tube a few years later as part of a duo. Might have been Pink Industry. Nice that you can bring back such memories.

18. Based on this evenings choice, 12 Monkeys on iPlayer does not qualify as comforting

Jeremy Caan likes this.
  19. Yes, there were several PM incarnations. PM Stand Alone was another.

Didn’t mean to dismiss Ieya. It is indeed her finest hour and I’ve actually played it twice now during lockdown. Just meant that the music police might have appeared...Mrs Fripp is not everyone’s cup of coolness.

20. Got through Spain on Sunday watching it on youtube. I just found France on the iplayer last month.

21. Thanks for posting this! We watched it last night; it was excellent, and very much a much-needed distraction.

22. I agree - that was excellent, and very funny. Amazing when you think it was written in the 1750s (??). Last time I saw it I was a teenager on a German language exchange in Austria. For some reason, it wasn't quite as funny in German.

My Chromecast is getting a workout at the moment as I avoid all the news programmes on in the gaps between University Challenge, Masterchef and Great British Menu by casting to my TV model railway videos on youtubes and, having taken out a subscription now I'm home all day to receive deliveries, I'm starting to explore all the stuff on Amazon Prime. Going to watch Picard. Anyone else got must-watch recommendations for Amazon Prime?

23. Completely depends on the type of thing you like, but for american comedy Loudermilk, forever, life in peices (a kind of modern family lite), Goliath as Billy bob Thornton is always watchable. The jewish enquirer was pretty good as well.

24. Amazon Prime recommendations. Depends what you are looking for but I've enjoyed these:

Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett book about the end of the world. If you like Terry Pratchett you should love this.
    Filmed in Supermarionation - The story of Gerry Anderson and his TV programmes.
    Gomorrah, - Italian crime drama (sub titles), not seen this but it has been recommended to me.
    Classic Albums - lots of programmes about the making of classic albums.
    Star Trek Picard, season 1.
    The Fall - BBC crime drama, multiple series.
    American Gods - Another Neil Gaiman. A bit gory, but very good tale of the old gods fighting the new gods (based on the book of the same name.
    There is also a King Lear with Anthony Hopkins, which I still have to watch.

Andrew Stevenson likes this.
  25. If you like VERY gritty French policier, then Spiral might work for you...interesting insight into a different judicial system too but also Midnight Express moments.
    Sweetbitter is a marmite drama series about the restaurant trade in NY, has its fans, sort of country mouse becomes town mouse.
    Not sure where to find it, Deutschland 83 excellent cold war series from an East German perspective.
    And Succession on prime.