NWR What films have you been watching?

You do realise it’s a movie not a documentary?
The dialogue is largely made up but are any of the main data points false? He engineered a war against Iraq, his oil industry buddies were awarded no-bid contracts there, thousands of American troops died, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians died, wasting vast amounts of taxpayers' money which could have been spent more productively inside the US, American authority was probably permanently weakened and the case for democracy too.

My postscript might hazard that the disaster of the Iraq war, as well as enabling the rise of Isis, inhibited intervention in Syria to stop a civil war which as a result saw five million refugees flee abroad including at least 34000 to the UK by 2022.

Last edited:
Finally got round to watching the The Dig. What a thoroughly excellent and delightful film, Fiennes is truly remarkable as the “excavist”. Indeed, I can’t recall a more remarkable performance with the exception of some of Daniel Day Lewis’ masterpieces.

Also happened upon Triple Frontier. Had never heard of this film before which is odd given the cast included Pedro Pascal, Ben Affleck and Jason Isaacs. went in with low expectations nd was pleasantly surprised. Had a Treasures of the Sierra Madre vibe to it.

I found an old Ken Branagh film - Conspiracy - on Sky Atlantic - with an A list British cast - all about the Wannsee Conference of 1942. Branagh is quietly yet utterly terrifying as Heydrich, neatly supported by Stanley Tucci (ok, honorary Brit), Colin Firth, Ian McNeice, and a ton of others. Only about 90 mins long but worth a watch
Agreed, I think one of the best things he's done on screen. His ex, Emma Thompson's, best work is, I think, Wit. A really intelligent and thoughtful piece of work, it must be out on the interweb somewhere.

The Creator. Actually surprisingly good. A tad black versus white (morally, not ethnically, although arguably a bit of that, too) at times, but the world-building is well done and quite convincing and the future-tech is very impressive. And it has a fair bit of emotional depth, which is unusual for this sort of thing.

Oh, Russell. You even liked Saltburn as well. I really WANTED to like the new True Detective. The reviews were good and it was likened to Twin Peaks, but - even as a huge horror and Sci Fi fan - I just don’t find it believable. But hey ! I’m glad you are enjoying it.

Barbie, terrible (I didn’t get “the premise” at all, but then I’m probably not the target audience).
I continue to be amazed at how many men struggle to get their head around Barbie as a film and a concept, and then by extension why it has been successful and ultimately important.

But then that is exactly why it exists in the first place, which the film is quite clear about. A truly sad self-feeding reality.