Wines That Transport You

For me some do; and most don’t.

I can open a bottle of Bordeaux or Burgundy and not feel I have been transported to the Gironde or Beaune.

But with some wines the nose and the first sip lift me up and fly me straight there. These three do it for me:

- whites from the southern Rhone
- reds from the Languedoc and Roussillon
- Italian Vermentino

Anyone else suffer from this happy affliction?

Not really what you meant but whenever I happen to sniff the stereotype of NZ SB I get transported to Middle-earth. :D It's a weird psychological thing but my first experience of that pungent style was when viewing the 1st LOTR movie at university at 19yo and the two are now forever interlinked in my mind. I can't watch any scene of that movie without me hallucinating-smelling SB and I can't smell any SB without being reminded of the movie. :D

Not really what you meant but whenever I happen to sniff the stereotype of NZ SB I get transported to Middle-earth. :D It's a weird psychological thing but my first experience of that pungent style was when viewing the 1st LOTR movie at university at 19yo and the two are now forever interlinked in my mind. I can't watch any scene of that movie without me hallucinating-smelling SB and I can't smell any SB without being reminded of the movie. :D
Which part of Middle Earth? Can’t be the shire, must be Elrond?

Tonight's 98 Prum WS Auslese 98 and Cos Frappato 2021 both have a sense of place and dance. That's what I look for.

I like others' reference to Manzanilla, me too.

And Burgundy reds in their sous bois stage.

Last edited:
This just transported me back to visiting David's winery in Morey St Denis - we must have visited in 2011 and 2012 I think? Even by the standards of this forum, he stood out as fabulously nerdy - he had a bottling machine that he made himself, which filled the bottles from the bottom, in order to avoid undue disturbance to the wine.

BEDEF037-AE45-4C2F-9849-DA0964AFC5AA.jpeg

This is just pure and clean and singing tonight. I remember him letting us taste various bottles - one was a 2004 which none of us spotted as an 04. I may be misremembering the story but he mentioned that he had tried this with various storied visitors, and it was only Bill Nanson (I *think*) who'd correctly identified the vintage.

Another amazing thing about his wines is that, for the full extent of his production (I *think* from 2004 to 2012) every single wine had the same alcohol content, at 13%. This was fortunate, as he used the same back labels for the full period of production, which all happened to have 13% printed on them...