Wines Of The Weekend?

Tonight my sister is around for dinner. Some Pinot Grigio: 2013 Weingut Thörle Grauer Burgunder trocken, 2010 Domaine Arretxea Irouléguy Hegoxuri, 2012 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Langhe Freisa or 2011 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py & maybe the first of (the supposed 'declassified d'Yquem') Haut Charmes 2010 & Otima 10YO to finish.

Last edited:
First colts cricket session outdoors tonight, so a cold beer at 7.45 precisely, to be followed by a vacheron 2014 sancerre blanc which is in a super spot right now. Poggio al Oro Brunello 2007 will be tomorrow's effort to see how it is getting along.

Tonight:

I am making Mexican, which I always think is better with Lager/IPA than wine, so that is what we will drink.

Tomorrow:

Taittinger NV
G de Guiraud 2013
Bonny Doon Le Cigare Blanc 2012
Domaine des Bernardins Muscat Beaumes de Venise 2014

Sunday:

BBQ (at a weatherman's house, which hopefully guarantees us decent weather), so probably some more beers and I might take a fairly basic rose if I can be bothered to call in at Majestic.

I will drink the second half of a Heida from Sion tonight, K being ill so not drinking. Very much a floral "Traminer" style, not very unusual, it has a precision which brings to mind, wholly without real foundation, the nearby glaciers.

The Henri Billiot 2004 in the fridge will only get opened tomorrow if K feels better - seems mean to drink Champagne if your partner is feeling bad.

For Sunday a toss between a Heidi Schröck Blaufränkisch or (outside chance) a Claus Preisinger Zweigelt.

Tonight my sister is around for dinner. Some Pinot Grigio: 2013 Weingut Thörle Grauer Burgunder trocken, 2010 Domaine Arretxea Irouléguy Hegoxuri, 2012 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Langhe Freisa or 2011 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py & maybe the first of (the supposed 'declassified d'Yquem') Haut Charmes 2010 & Otima 10YO to finish.
Nice selection, Mark. If you like that Thörle you could go crazy and try one of their Spätburgunders. I've had several this year and last and they are not in the slightest bit weedy.

I'm hoping to get some Pinot Grigio soon...some Foradori from our friends on the coast.

Last night an excellent and a surprisingly youthful 1982 Mas de Daumas Gassac to help celebrate the passing of another year. Tomorrow a maiden visit to 67PM as a lunch guest of a very good friend - so hopefully something interesting of the list.

Nice selection, Mark. If you like that Thörle you could go crazy and try one of their Spätburgunders. I've had several this year and last and they are not in the slightest bit weedy.

I'm hoping to get some Pinot Grigio soon...some Foradori from our friends on the coast.
I've tried their Spätbugunder. It wasn't bad. In fact, Mrs C was rather took to it. Fortunately, she preferred the Grauburgunder more. We're off to the merchant's half yearly tasting next week. I shall try & distract her with the local fizz stand.

After last weekends extended Wimps-Bank Holiday marathon, we have agreed to limit our consumption this weekend to just one bottle per day so it has to be a banker.
Tonight's selection is a Moét 1988.
If this one is nearly as enjoyable as the previous 3 from the 6 pack then it should not be too much of a hardship to stick to the temporary rule.

Tonight's a 1996 claret tasting - Chx La Tour St Bonnet, St Pierre, Lagrange (Pomerol), La Lagune, Talbot, Trotanoy, Grand-Puy-Lacoste, Leoville-Barton, Mouton Rothschild. Probably nothing much for the rest of the weekend apart from finishing off the bottles from tonight...

A 2014 Momento from Marelise van Niemann, Bot River, South Africa. 85% Chenin and 15% Verdelho. This has double the Verdelho of the 2013 and it gives it greater freshness.

2006 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Côte-Rôtie: left-overs from last weekend from a screw-top in the cellar. Lovely. Can't imagine this developing into anything better, but it probably will ...

Pol Roger Chardonay 1995.

Really toasty but lovely zip and a sort of funny weightlessness combined with intense concentration. A combination that I don't think I've noticed in a Champagne before. Probably my ignorance or lack of attention.

I think of wines like this when friends, who haven't been struck down by wine geekiness, say that they don't like Champagne. They're missing out as a function of exposure to the wrong things.

Pol Roger Chardonay 1995.

Really toasty but lovely zip and a sort of funny weightlessness combined with intense concentration. A combination that I don't think I've noticed in a Champagne before. Probably my ignorance or lack of attention.

I think of wines like this when friends, who haven't been struck down by wine geekiness, say that they don't like Champagne. They're missing out as a function of exposure to the wrong things.
Jonathan,
This was one of the greatest Pols of the 90's
And will I am sure have been labelled Blanc de Chardonnay
Most of them turned to sherry a few years ago but it seems you have experienced the genuine article.
I remember consorting with messrs Pritchard and Hambleton to secure a few of these and I think we were all smitten