Food Moor Hall

Lunch today at Moor Hall, possibly the most talked up/hyped UK restaurant of the last couple of years, racing to 2 Michelin stars within 3 or 4 years of opening as well as being voted Number 1 restaurant in the UK in last year's national restaurant awards.

Chef Mark Birchall trained at L'Enclume, and the Roganic influence is heavy - lots of home grown produce from the gardens, all dishes featuring seasonal herbs, flowers etc. The building is grand, old world on the outside and money-no-object plush and modern on the inside.

Lunch is a no choice, 4 course menu (which is really 6 courses after canapes in the bar and a pre dessert) priced at £70. Dinner is 8 courses at £155 though there is currently no option to take the longer menu at lunch.

Canapes were really superb - I can't immediately think of anywhere I've had a better selection - a board of homemade charcuterie, soft centred black pudding croquettes with gooseberry puree and pea tartlets. All fab, especially the tarts.

20200808_121606.jpg

First course was carrots from the garden about 6 different ways with ramson pesto and cheese snow. Really interesting textures and a good way to showcase a humble ingredient but 'nice' rather than special.

20200808_124130.jpg

Crab and turnips contained 3 big, juicy pieces of king crab, turnips 4 or 5 ways and a turnip consomme. Technically excellent but again 'nice' overall.

20200808_130454.jpg

Main course was guinea fowl breast with beetroot, blackberry and girolles. The meal went up a notch with this course - everything on the plate was delicious enough, however the standouts were the 2 separate accompaniments of a piece of confit leg topped with mushroom flower and (best of all) a steamed bun filled with the guinea fowl offal which was absolutely delicious - I could have eaten a whole course just of those! Superb.

20200808_132214.jpg

20200808_132220.jpg

At this point we opted to take the optional extra cheese course, a choice of 6 cheeses (from 10) for 2 to share at £12 per person. All were in tip top condition, accompanying breads and biscuits were superb and the serving was quite generous (which doesn't really come across on this photo).

20200808_135621.jpg

Pre dessert was utterly outstanding, yet ridiculously simple - a ball of stem ginger ice cream on chunks of stem ginger in pine syrup topped with the lightest ginger tuile twigs. Beauty in simplicity, just absolutely sublime, and perfect with our dessert wine.

20200808_142823.jpg

The proper dessert of cherries with cherry sorbet, meadowsweet cream and muscovado tuile was even better than the ginger. Again the balance and contrasts of temperatures, textures, flavours was executed perfectly. Whoever the pastry chef is, they really know what they are doing!

20200808_144725.jpg

Wine list is not particularly huge for a 2* restaurant, and mark ups vary between fairly reasonable to fairly punchy. However they do offer corkage at a very fair £30 per bottle (£50 for Champagne), so we pushed the boat out and took these, which were all excellent - the Chablis very lean, mineral and citrus, the Monte Bello almost Margaux-like with a bouquet of crushed stones and violets, the Yquem just absolutely world beating in the way only Yquem can be. It is a great pleasure to be able to drink wines of this quality in this type of restaurant, and they did really enhance the whole experience.

20200808_083349.jpg

Service was really excellent throughout - I mean really top drawer. Perhaps the best compliment I can say on this is it could have been a NPM restaurant - it was just so relaxed, laid back and friendly, yet utterly efficient without missing a single beat. The setting is also stunning - not just the building or dining room but the gardens too, where we were able to sit after our meal and finish our drinks in the sunshine.

Overall I would say the quality here varies through the meal - I would perhaps summarise it as good 1* food with some 2* bits and pieces and a 3* pastry section. 3* service too. Lower to middle of 2* is probably about right overall - it certainly doesn't consistently reach the heights of, say, Sat Bains or L'Enclume, but it is definitely half a notch up from even the best 1* places.

Last edited:
A lovely write up, you do seem to be on a roll.....there must be humor in that somehow but boy it ain't arf hot here so can't pull it together.
Thanks for sharing, I wasn't hungry until just a moment ago:)

a steamed bun filled with the guinea fowl offal which was absolutely delicious - I could have eaten a whole course just of those!
Thanks for the usual excellent writeup, Richard.
I do wish ambitious restaurants would serve one thing at a time. I always enjoy a turnip cooked in one perfect way than in 6, even if they too are perfect. In cooking as with so many other things less really is more, though I understand the imperatives of ambition and commerce which dictate the complex contemporary lingua franca.

Crab and turnips contained 3 big, juicy pieces of king crab, turnips 4 or 5 ways and a turnip consomme. Technically excellent but again 'nice' overall.

Sounds as though Baldrick would have enjoyed this, Richard. Were any of the turnips shaped like a thingy?

If I get chance I’ll post something about our outstanding lunch at Raby Hunt today, which Mrs B is just sleeping off before we head into Barnard Castle for an eye test.

Sounds as though Baldrick would have enjoyed this, Richard. Were any of the turnips shaped like a thingy?

If I get chance I’ll post something about our outstanding lunch at Raby Hunt today, which Mrs B is just sleeping off before we head into Barnard Castle for an eye test.

Lol I was minded of Baldrick too just before I read your response.

Great write up Richard, thankyou.

Thanks for the report, Richard. I've not been since early March, when lunch was a much bigger affair.

I'm surprised you preferred the main to the preceding courses, as I always find that the meal takes a dip with the main course, though it's usually red meat (venison or duck most commonly). I find the starters much more interesting, and am particularly fond of the carrot, turnip and (of course) the steak tartare that Marina O'Loughlin so hated at L'Enclume (IIRC). Though it's the turnip one that I find so fascinating, in that (in my view) he manages to conjure such a delicious dish out of such a godawful vegetable. It's been interesting watching the carrot and turnip dishes develop over the years. Here's an early example from 2010 at L'Enclume.
DSCN2891.JPG

This was the pre-covid version at Moor Hall:

Definitely agree on the ginger ice cream pre-dessert.

Mark didn't train at L'Enclume, by the way, he merely won it its second Michelin star, and I don't think there is a particular Rogan influence on the food at Moor Hall: it's a two-way influence, and these are his dishes that he brought with him. I always found it possible at L'Enclume to tell which were Simon's dishes, and which Mark's. He actually trained at Runshaw College, and then worked for Franco Taruschio at the Walnut and for Nigel Haworth at Northcote, before going to Cartmel. He also did a 3-month stage at Celler de Can Roca after winning the Roux Scholarship. I don't know whether it's a causal relationship, or just development, but after Mark Birchall started at L'Enclume, the place and some of Simon Rogan's silliness calmed down.

I prefer no turnips at all...best fed to the sheep but it looks very good otherwise! Thanks for sharing
Mark Birchall's turnip dish might change your mind (assuming you've not had it, of course).

I'm surprised you preferred the main to the preceding courses, as I always find that the meal takes a dip with the main course, though it's usually red meat (venison or duck most commonly). I find the starters much more interesting, and am particularly fond of the carrot, turnip and (of course) the steak tartare that Marina O'Loughlin so hated at L'Enclume (IIRC). Though it's the turnip one that I find so fascinating, in that (in my view) he manages to conjure such a delicious dish out of such a godawful vegetable. It's been interesting watching the carrot and turnip dishes develop over the years.

We both felt the 2 vegetable dishes were technically impressive but nothing special to actually eat. I also felt the turnip detracted from the king crab rather than complimenting it - particularly the consomme and the raw turnip.

Whereas the guinea fowl and its accompanying bits and pieces may not have been hugely technical, but were just really delicious.

I didn't know Mark Birchall had worked at the Walnut Tree under Taruschio. It's one of my greatest food-related regrets that I never ate there when Taruschio ran it. We came ever so close - we walked past it once when on holiday in the area, but we had the children with us and they were still quite young so we decided to leave it for another time. And then Franco T retired...

We finally went a couple of years ago and enjoyed Shaun Hill's cooking.

I wasn’t aware of the walnut tree connection either, I first met Mark when he won the Roux Scholarship, a friend & previous winner ( Matt Tomkinson) invited me, a very swish ‘do’ at the hyde park hotel with every uk michelin starred chef invited & many present. Great night!