NWR Michel Roux RIP

Great shame. Had the pleasure of meeting him and Albert a while back when I served them both their first frozen omelette. Both were amazed and horrified in equal measure.

I think it's hard to overestimate the impact that Albert and Michel Roux Snr have had on cuisine in Britain.
The first UK restaurant to earn a Michelin star. The first UK restaurant to earn three Michelin stars. Whatever you think of Michelin, that meant that somebody didn't think food in the UK was a joke.
They have trained legions of chefs, as well as creating their own culinary dynasty. The Roux Scholarship is probably one of the most highly regarded culinary contests in the world, with doors being flung open around the world for its winners. He really has left a remarkable legacy.
Their television series in the 80s made what we now know as Modern British cooking accessible.
I can't claim to have known him, but whenever I met him, he oozed charm, making ladies swoon, and was very quick-witted (and witty), and ever willing to share his experience and knowledge.

But like Thom, I need to know more about this frozen omelette, Jonathan.

Last edited:
I think you need to expand on that a little, Jonathan!

I was running a restaurant at T2 Heathrow late 80's early 90's and my company had asked the Roux's to review the menu and possibly do some work with us to improve the quality of our offer. They came for lunch and whilst perusing the menu, commented in a positive way that we were serving cheese & ham omelettes but felt quick win would be to offer a choice of fillings.At this point I had to explain that we bought them in frozen. Whilst this is common place now at the time it was very new. They immediately said we have to try one. They were quite impressed at how light it was, but horrified it existed.

I'm currently enjoying "The Roux Legacy" being shown right now on the food network as a tribute. I've never seen these in full before, but it is great to see the brothers doing proper home style French cooking.