Food Leeds Recs Please

Looking for somewhere to eat on a Monday and (early - pre concert) on a Tuesday.

Seems like this might be a challenge, any thoughts?

Great wine or food, ideally, but not necessarily both.

Oriental City was really brilliant a couple of years ago, though one never quite knows what one's going to get on the night with these supersized Chinese establishments.

We had an offline at Home Restaurant a couple of years ago and I was very impressed. Modern British. Classic flavour combinations and interesting presention - "just" very well done rather than hugely innovative or trendy.

There are really 2 outstanding restaurants in Leeds:

The Man Behind The Curtain - Leeds only Michelin star, absolutely superb tasting menu only restaurant. Very modern and creative.

Home - snapping at TMBTC heels, also a tasting menu only, largely clever reworkings of traditional dishes. Chef Mark Owens has been head chef at Michelin star restaurant (The Box Tree) before setting this place up, so he knows what he is doing. Michelin star quality and prices. Wine list lets it down a bit though and they refuse to entertain the idea of corkage.

Beyond those 2, it starts getting tricky for great food - there are still a lot of chain restaurants etc and most independents are very much at the quick/casual end of the spectrum, or are old, tired and stodgy. And corkage is virtually impossible in the city centre. But you could look at:

Zaap Thai - no bookings, walk in only, a bit hipster-ish but the food is really excellent and VERY authentic (i.e. not just red/green curry, pad Thai...). My go-to in the city.

Thai A Roy Dee - fairly standard Thai, it is just about the only place in the city that offers corkage (no charge either) if that appeals. Food is decent enough, as long as you are happy with red/green curry, pad Thai...

Bundobust - vegetarian Indian street food to go with craft beers. Tasty and good fun but tiny so gets packed - although you should have no problems on a Mon/Tue.

The Owl - newly opened pub in Kirkgate market run by the people behind Home. I haven't been yet but it has already some rave reviews.

Sous Le Nez - old style French bistro, unapologetically straight out of the 90's and unchanged by time/fashion, quality is fairly good. The type of place my parents think is "right posh". I know others on the forum rate it, but it's not really for me if I'm honest - I find it a bit dated and tired.

Comptoir Libanais - yes it's a chain, but the food is alright and they do have some interesting Lebanese wines on the list. Inside the Trinity shopping centre.

Iberica - upmarket tapas, a bit of a bland "chain" feel and not cheap, but food is good and the wine list offers some gems (Dos & Tres Palmas Sherry by the glass, for example).

El Gato Negro - newly opened branch of the Manchester tapas restaurant, I haven't been yet but reputation is good.

Trinity Kitchen - tragically hipster food court in shopping centre, but there are things like Pho and various ever-changing van type options, the quality is generally pretty good and there are bars, good if you want casual and quick, or all want different things.

I hope that helps and if you want any other specific advice, or if you want to know about places out of the city, drop me a PM.

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, useful info for me too as I might pop to Leeds over Easter and I haven't been in a long while.

Think I will try the Zaap Thai as I will be with a Thai friend!

There was an article in The Guardian about how cool Leeds was becoming so I'm a bit surprised it seems early days/not much depth from your list.

There are loads of cool places for drinking Alex - we have more craft ale bars and brew pubs than you can shake a stick at, most of which do some form of food/nibbles. And "street food" has taken over the city. But actual restaurants are still variable at best.

How about coffee, any top choices?

I'm a big fan of North Star and my Xmas goody bag had a really excellent Ethiopian bag this time. Really delicious.

I'm feeling all nostalgic now and listening to some Peel sessions - I think it's definitely a different place from the, ahem, gritty city of my youth :)

I assume from conversations we've had previously that you are of vaguely similar age to me (I'm 41), and indeed Leeds has changed radically from my youth. The whole area south of Boar Lane, behind the corn exchange and towards the river was a virtual no-go area back then - drug dealers, hookers etc. Over the last 15 years it has been completely regenerated with lots of bars, city apartments etc. In general, there is a much more vibrant feel, and the relatively new (up here!) concept of city living played a big role in this I think. As I said before, Leeds has fully embraced the "hipster" movement of street food, craft ales, brew pubs, coffee bars etc and most are of a decent standard.

Depends what you want:
Style - Crafthouse - food is OK nice surroundings some good wines too - typical D&D fare
The Swine that dines - not far from the theatre - very good food - BYO too
OX Club - can be really good depending on the menu - rustic surroundings
The Owl - but only at the weekends - good breakfast though - simple surroundings good food
Sous-le-nez - best wine list in Yorkshire food is from a by gone era but tasty enough

Close to the station, Laynes Espresso is consistently good for coffee. Next door to Friends of Ham which not surprisingly seems to do charcuterie. Not sure what their currently wine list is like.

Friends of Ham is a funny one, it's a great bar with a fab selection of beers and a few decent wines, but the food (largely cheese and charcuterie boards) isn't anything special. It's very lively too, so better for groups.

I assume from conversations we've had previously that you are of vaguely similar age to me (I'm 41), and indeed Leeds has changed radically from my youth. The whole area south of Boar Lane, behind the corn exchange and towards the river was a virtual no-go area back then - drug dealers, hookers etc. Over the last 15 years it has been completely regenerated with lots of bars, city apartments etc. In general, there is a much more vibrant feel, and the relatively new (up here!) concept of city living played a big role in this I think. As I said before, Leeds has fully embraced the "hipster" movement of street food, craft ales, brew pubs, coffee bars etc and most are of a decent standard.

I think the change began circa 95 onwards. I spent a lot of time in Central London at that time and every time I came back to Leeds the similarities were there especially in terms of the retail and leisure sectors. The opening of Harvey Nics was case in point.

Sounds great Richard. I actually went a lot after I went to London to study (I'm 47) as two of my friends went to Leeds and it was student style living and the bands at the Duchess etc. Great fun.

I actually worked in the Grand a lot over the years but tended to drive straight back to my folks and what with being in Bangkok haven't been for 7/8 yrs I guess.

I always read your reports (and fellow northern crew) with great interest. Looking forward to popping over now for coffee, thai food and a (non Chang) beer :)

Friends of Ham is a funny one, it's a great bar with a fab selection of beers and a few decent wines, but the food (largely cheese and charcuterie boards) isn't anything special. It's very lively too, so better for groups.

This would be my view as well. The food is there as an accompaniment to the beer (which is great). If you are in a group, it is a fun night out but if you go there for the food alone, I think that you would be disappointed.

Don't really know Leeds these days. I miss Antony's, which was worth the trek.

Been a couple of times to Man Behind the Curtain, but got a bit bored, and not keen on Michael O'Hare's attitude.

A chef I know went to The Owl in Kirkgate market yesterday, and thought it was great.

Home sounds great too. Might have to give that a go when all these damned storms have subsided. (July?)

Probably about 25 years since I went to Sous le Nez. I remember it as competent and a bit old-fashioned (even then). Though the main memory is of a lovely bottle of Béarn, which a couple of months later I found in a Bibendum sale and bought a case.

The Owl is great Liz has a good feel for what Leeds wants. Going to MBTC next week - it is very costly now - wine flight £150 per head!! Sous le Nez hasn't changed in 30 years - you know what you are going to get but it has a fantastic wine list which is reasonably priced and you can get many mature wines.

We’re going to Home tomorrow night for the first time and I’ll report back.

Well, we duly went and we rather enjoyed it. We had the 11-course version of the tasting menu (they offer tasting menus only - no ALC available) and the food was pretty good. There is some usage of tricksy techniques but less so than in many such places, and in no case was this approach redundant, as all of this stuff contributed positively to the respective dishes in which they were comprised. A couple of dishes were a little over-salted, even for my taste as one who has a high tolerance for salty food. I'd say the food was close to one-star Michelin standard, if not actually there. I know that Richard commented unfavourably on the wine list but it may have improved since his visit because it was at least acceptable on this occasion.

The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and the service was generally good. Moreover, despite the rigidity of the menus (the following statement appears on their website: Please note that we are unable to cater for dislikes/preferences and can only cater for a limited number of allergies) they willingly accommodated requests by the other couple in our party to change dishes containing elements which might have caused them illness (oysters and wild mushrooms respectively), by simply substituting the corresponding dishes from the vegetarian menu.

This is however one of those restaurants that has an annoying, slightly bossy website, laying down various rules and instructions, which makes it sound as though the restaurant is doing you a favour by allowing you to go there.

Another annoying point (to say the least) was that the bill stated that it contained a compulsory "cover charge" (not service charge) of 12.5% "as agreed", which implied that it must have been in the T&Cs at the time of booking, and thus a contractual term. I then noticed that the small paper menu provided to each diner (a nice touch - although rendered a little meaningless by the modish usage of three-word descriptions of dishes, simply listing their main ingredients) also contained reference to this. I've not come across a restaurant imposing a "cover charge" in the UK for many years and, of course, I'd not checked the full T&Cs when I booked (does anyone ever do so?). So we paid the bill (without adding any tip) and the next day I looked at the T&C's as published on the website. They contain the following:-

All bills are subject to a 12.5% service charge, itemised separately on the receipt. This is to ensure transparency rather than absorbing the cost into our prices, and we feel it encourages the recognition of service as an equal part of the dining experience as food or wine. Our service charge is not a tip.

OK, so it was really a service charge and not a cover charge, and it was compulsory. But to say that this is imposed "to ensure transparency" is disingenuous. The wording used in the T&Cs implies that 12.5% covers all the service-related costs of the restaurant, which can't be right as the waiting staff alone will cost more than that. If it's a compulsory charge, reflecting the restaurant's costs, it really ought to be built into "[their] prices". As it is, I can't see customers being prepared to add a tip on top of the complusory service charge, so the staff presumably miss out (unless they get some or all of the compulsory charge).

So, a decent enough restaurant was let down by some of the commercial aspects of their operation.

Would I go back? Probably not.