NWR Euro 2016

A touch early, perhaps, but looking forward to the Euros now with less than a week until the England squad is announced. With apologies to Scottish fans, it'll be great to have a bit more local interest with a few teams there, and if Hodgson actually takes a risk there are some very promising signs of a young side that could overachieve with the handbrake off (injuries permitting). Hoping for a good tournament on and off the pitch. Could France do it at home? Pretty impressive squad, but then we've seen that before..

I know what you mean about Belgium, but they disappointed in 2014 - seem to be a bit less than the sum of the parts. Wonder if they'll be perennial Dark Horses like Portugal and the Netherlands. Could be close this time; not sure Spain are what they were. Germany?

I am also more optimistic for England than I've been for a long time. But I'm being careful not to have high expectations. It must surely be the time to give experience to the players who will be in the next World Cup but I guess that means Vardy is less likely to be a first choice striker. We shall see.

I really hope Hodgson picks on form and energy, rather than just on experience - half the Spurs team, plus Sturridge, Vardy, Rooney suggests a decent attacking threat for once (albeit a bit shaky in central defence); expectations aren't too high amongst most right-thinkers, so why not just go for it! England will never beat the top teams on technical ability and possession, so a bit of Leicester enthusiasm and team effort is what's needed.

What do we think about the 24 team format? Too many, I think. Could be a while before the tournament gathers momentum.

I know what you mean, I did like the simplicity of the old format - every game mattered, there tended to be less mismatches - but could also be a bit cagey in the groups as a result. Hoping the smaller teams will cause an upset or two (as in the WC) to get things going. The problem these days is that top European players know eachother pretty well, and playing styles are similar (unlike the WC), but the latter stages can be better games as a result. I do remember 2012 taking a while to get going (though Spain were great), but 2008 had some great games from (fading..) memory.

England to win at a canter. Front three of Rooney, Kane and Vardy will score so many goals between them it won't matter if my mum plays central defence.
:):D

Think England might go as far as the semis but utterly convinced they won't win it. Will be interesting to see how the Belgian "golden generation" perform - on paper they're good enough to win it. And who knows which France will turn up! Still suspect it'll be Spain or Germany though.

So Roy has spoken! Can't think Rashford will make the final cut, and he's always liked Townsend and Wilshere. Is there something to stop you including Rooney as a midfielder, say, and adding another forward?

Picking Delph, Wilshere and Henderson seems to be taking quite a substantial risk, given that none of these has really proven their fitness after a long lay-off and also that two of them (Wilshere and Henderson) appear to be made of balsa wood. I gather Wilshere was avoiding 50/50 challenges yesterday. Not something he'll be able to do in a tournament.

24 is way too many. Big, if depressingly predictable, mistake - 16 was just right for Europe. Too many games a lot of people (including me) won't bother with in the group stage, which detracts a lot from the sense of engagement.

England should make QFs and might just manage the semis.

24 is way too many. Big, if depressingly predictable, mistake - 16 was just right for Europe. Too many games a lot of people (including me) won't bother with in the group stage, which detracts a lot from the sense of engagement.

England should make QFs and might just manage the semis.

Just hope for the sake of us of all that England don't play on June 23....

looking at the squad I think I'm more pessimistic. Dier listed as a midfielder, but must surely be expecred to give cover for central defence. Some players listed who are not in great form or returning from one or more injuries. I doubt I could select better, rather there isn't a huge wealth of talent.

Why more pessimistic, Ian? There's the bones of a good side there. Rose and Walker were half of the best defence in the league, a defence that was admirably protected by Dier, whose role allowed both full backs to bomb forward. There's plenty of invention to make up a midfield anchored by Dier and two strikers who have been red-hot this season. The real weakness is at centre back but few teams are without some weakness.

Why more pessimistic, Ian? There's the bones of a good side there. Rose and Walker were half of the best defence in the league, a defence that was admirably protected by Dier, whose role allowed both full backs to bomb forward. There's plenty of invention to make up a midfield anchored by Dier and two strikers who have beecen red-hot this season. The real weakness is at centre back but few teams are without some weakness.

Er, with one game to go, Man U have the best defence in the league.

John, proof that statistics lie. Anyone who really thinks that Man Utd have the best defence in the league is call Louis van Gaal. The weird anomaly of Sunday's result at SJP shouldn't be allowed to cloud the reality of the previous 37 games.

Just heard England could vote itself out of contention for Euro 2016 on June 23rd .Talking of joining the North American champions league and NorthAm Championship where they will stand more chances of benefitting from special relationship.