What's been in your cellar the longest?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Paul Benny, Jul 27, 2020.

1. What bottle(s) have lain in your cellar for longest?

Edit - and how long has it been there?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. That's a good question. I think it's probably a couple of bottles of Warre 1985 surviving from a case which I bought in the early nineties. Until very recently it would have been Chapoutier's Hermitage Monier de la Sizeranne 1989.

3. Graham’s ‘85 (probably - original record keeping pre-CT).

4. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Beychevelle '85 for me. Now only one bottle.

5. Chateau Tahbilk Cabernet Sauvignon 1986; must drink it one day.

6. One bottle of 1981 Gruaud Larose. From the first 12 bottle case of wine I ever bought. It was from from JE Hogg in Edinburgh. £7.22/bottle if I remember correctly.

7. Dow 83 bought EP from TWS.

Nicos Neocleous likes this.
  8. I opened, double decanted six hours before consumption and drank a bottle of this 2 days ago. It's ready to go but no rush.

9. That was a great shop :)

10. Almost certainly a bottle of 1996 Penfolds Grange I bought at Tesco in 2005 for about £73.

Graham Harvey likes this.
  11. I miss Jimmy Hogg's shop. I worked at the bottom of Dundas Street (Fettes Row) so it was less than 5 minutes walk for me. Then there was another good wine merchant at the other end of Cumberland Street, again less than 5 minutes walk from the office.

12. I still have a few older wines that I bought in the late 80's or 90's. A few that spring to mind are Fontannafreda Barolo La Delizia 1982, Drappier Carte d'Or 1983 Champagne, Cos d'Estournel 1985, Gevrey Chambertin 1988, Jean Raphet.

13. 1982 Gruaud Larose; bought 12 bottles in Jersey in 1988 @ £10.83 each. One remaining.

George Marshall and Chiu Lin like this.
  14. One bottle of 85 Le Gay from Strakers bought nearly twenty years ago for about £15 a bottle l. The first case of wine I ever bought. It’s well past it now but it serves as a nice reminder of the journeys beginning.

Geordie Torr and Richard Zambuni like this.
  15. A 1997 D(i)e Krans Vintage Reserve "Port", from Calitzdorp in South Africa. One bottle remains of a case bought in late 1998 from the winery. A bottle was enjoyed at last summer's Cape WIMPS.

To get around EU rules, they scratched out the printed "P" on the label on the exported bottles, so they read "ort". :)

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  16. Some Madeira - it’s described as “East India Madeira bottled 1956” and was bought from my college cellar at £1.65 per bottle. I bought a number of bottles over the course of a year or so, with the first bottle bought on 1/12/1973 - I think it’s highly unlikely that that first bottle is among the ones I still have!

17. I have some of the wine produced by Yarra Yering which was originally labelled as Portsorts - obviously in more recent years they’ve decided that’s still too similar so more recent ones have been labelled “Potsorts”

18. I remember that - at one time a friend had a flat in London Street and Hoggs were a regular port of call any time I was visiting.

Paul Anderson and Jim Fulcher like this.
  19. ‘82 Pichon Lalande in Magnum.

20. I still have some bottles of Chinon Clos de la Dioterie Joguet 1989, from the first case of red wine I bought. Aging nicely still.

Not a bad start on limited funds, but the cheaper Clos du Chene Vert 1989 turned out to be an even better wine, so I have a small regret in not opting for that.

However, my second red wine purchase was even more successful: Gentaz Cote-Rotie 1989, but I could only afford 6 bottles of that because it was very expensive at £14 a bottle. All those 6 are gone, the last bottle drunk with great pleasure 5 years ago. I’m glad to have a few more bottles left bought later from another source.

21. Lafitte 86 bought around 1994 when the kids were finally out of preschool and all student loans were finally paid up......

22. A single bottle of 1988 Rousseau Clos de la Roche. Don't know whether to drink or sell now....

Alex Hills and Leon Marks like this.
  23. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

My brother's wife and Jimmy Hogg's wife are sisters, and he is alive and well and enjoying rural life near Tomintoul where the sisters were all brought up.

24. I feel like a young pup here! According to CellarTracker it’s 05 Jean Chauvenet Nuits St Georges and Morey Coffinet Chassagne Chaumes rouge - both bought EP from Uncorked in February 2007. Got them both delivered just this year - as others have said, one often looks back wishing one had bought less but better - however I’ve also been enjoying more modest drinking, particularly burgundy and Bordeaux, during the current apocalypse.

25. Did you buy them from Helsinki Airport Odd? I bought several bottles of Lafite 1986 from Helsinki Airport around then for 450 Finnish Markka a bottle, the equivalent of about £55 at the time. I still have one left but other stuff has been there longer like the bottle of Le Pin 1990 for which I paid £98 at BBR in 1993 (the other two consumed a long time ago), the same price they were selling Cheval Blanc 1982 for at the time. If only we could wind the clock back.

Leon Marks likes this.