Weekend drinking thread 17 July 2020

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Raymond Tilney, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Not all to be consumed over the weekend, but a selection of “Better Whites” has arrived in time.
    What is everyone else up to?

96FBED64-1C06-48A0-8F81-DA9B606809C1.jpeg E83C2E39-7C8C-4A92-B6BB-47351AF4FF1C.jpeg

2. Burlotto arrived yesterday, so I am cooking spag bol this evening & will impetuously choose between the Verduno & Dolcetto.

Alex Jagger and Raymond Tilney like this.
  3. Great selection Ray!

Raymond Tilney likes this.
  4. They all look a little, well, flat, Ray! How will you both cope?

5. Sodastream (TM) on standby!

Jim Agar likes this.
  6. Slightly off piste varietal - especially so in
    Australia. Incredible colour (no filter!) and somewhat cloudy - but bouncy, fruity, strong red cherry notes with a nice acid kick that is unfortunately too uncommon in Australian wine. Fun with pizza and various salumi

719470D8-CC3B-466D-83FA-DC241AA06AF0.jpeg

Leon Marks and Mark Carrington like this.
  7. Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle tonight to reflect the passing of a much loved family member. Tomorrow I fancy something different. Perhaps Ricardo Benito Il Divo 2002.

Leon Marks and Steven Pritchard like this.
  8. A couple lined up for this weekend (I'm sure at least another will follow as the weekend progresses) - Chablis 1er Cru Forêt 1999, Raveneau and an Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru 2015, Michel Prunier et sa Fille.

Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru 2015 Prunier and Chablis 1er Cru Foret 1999 Raveneau Web.jpg

Must admit I'm a bit nervous about the Chablis as I have had a few pox'd bottles of Raveneau's wines from this era, so I'll look out a reserve. However, while it is a green bottle the contents do look reasonably clear, and not discoloured, so I also have a slight degree of confidence (maybe 10%/15% :oops:) it might be in good nick, but I've got to open it sometime.

9. Starting on newly arrived Kellers. 6F710977-0A4E-4A46-A5F3-4575A9853E38.jpeg

Left to right so might not get to the RR today. Also some cheap Clairet with Pizza.

Weißer Burgunder / Chard is clean and fresh, light melon fruit. Not fancy, slight and pure.

VdF 2019 is super lively, so energetic. A deep citrus peel and concentrated extract. Dried apricot and cherry. Very dense finish, firm and very pure. Exciting and serious.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  10. 49C1F599-86D5-4338-89BD-A3C9442229B1.jpeg

It’s a Charles heidsieck sort of evening, though not my glassware it’s delicious - 08 base

11. Starting with this. Nicely mature, Chablis typicity, but age and vineyard have given it a sense of weight and rounding on the mid palate before the saline finish kicks back in.

0C930337-396E-4158-BF0F-67ACCDB98418.jpeg

12. Far the most underrated source of Chablis, it has always seemed to me.

13. Went for a walk in the woods and came home to a bottle of Rainer Christ Wiener Gemischter Satz (from Bisamberg). Almost spritzy, zesty, perfect thirst quencher which went well with noodles fired up with some superb padron peppers (in today’s Riverford box).

7F97AFB5-75EB-4B5A-8720-5F1419901A83.jpeg

14. Pio Cesare Barolo 2015 - bought in the Waitrose offer for some reason I don't quite remember. Perfectly decent and paired well with the egg fried rice and leftover confit duck, but I am not sure why I opened it so early. Riverby Estate Chardonnay 2018 from the recent forum offer. Really lovely - approachable but not flabby - a thoroughly decent wine at a fair price. Enjoyed on its own while watching the sprinkler passing to and fro over our just planted garden...

15. I bought a few Domaine Mordoree Tavel a year or two ago. Last bottle has been sitting there a while so tonight seemed ideal. I think time in bottle may have actually helped. A lovely rich and vibrant coloured rose. Wife gave same opinion as of a year ago.. she hates it.
    Must get some more.

Russ Sainty and Alistair Scott like this.
  16. Meinklang Pet Nat
    Lovely pink fizz (Méthode Ancestral), low in alcohol, slight RS, so much fun. Beautifully balanced but so moreish and fun that I can't concentrate long enough to write a proper note. The only bad thing about this is that it isn't a magnum.

Ian Sinnott, Ken Oliver and Nick Amis like this.
  17. This was very interesting tonight. Far darker and more serious than the 17 Gevrey, and indeed it’s showing very much as the 16 Gevrey did last month. Will revisit a 17 Gevrey later this weekend to confirm it’s still redder fruited cf the en Echezeaux.

55599A45-68E2-4EBF-AA84-734AA655B2A1.jpeg

18. We couldn’t make up our minds what we fancied this evening, a Billecart-Salmon brut rose, was pleasant but don’t really get us inspired, a 1995 Morey-Blanc Meursault Genevrieres was in that annoying place where it was just musty enough to distract you and not quite clean enough to enjoy, they both were stoppered and back in the fridge to try tomorrow, finally we tried a glass of 2014 Sato L’insolite Pinot Noir from central otago which is ok but not really saying much, it could well be us at the end of a long week, maybe a dry night would have been a better choice, lots of leftovers for the weekend though

Paul J a i n e s and Leon Marks like this.
  19. D003096D-E8D1-483D-8BFB-EBCE479A93C4.jpeg

David Clark BR 2010. Lovely purity, fairly lightweight but supremely enjoyable.

20. We drove to the French Alps today. At lunchtime we stumbled upon a lovely Michelin-listed restaurant in a beautiful old walled town: EUR 38 for gougeres, foie gras, magret de canard and dauphinoise, chocolate dessert and mignardises, served under an umbrella in a wisteria-strewn timber-framed back street. Perfection. I drank:
    • 2017 Domaine Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (7/17/2020)
      At Les Millesimes in Noyers sur Serein. Very bright but ample cranberry and rhubarb fruit and a little bit of a rustic edge on the finish. Really refreshing and food-friendly. (89 pts.)
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200717142020520_COVER.jpg

Upon arrival at the chalet we opened (and were slightly disappointed by):
    • 2017 Benjamin Leroux Vougeot Clos du Village - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vougeot (7/17/2020)
      Very pale colour. This takes the fresh aspect of the 2017s too far, and the acidity is much too prominent. I don't get joyous fruit, just tang and attack. Reasonable length and obvious purity, but not that enjoyable. 2016 of this wine showing much better currently. (88 pts.)

21. 04849829-BC8A-4242-9EB7-529C7D79E937.jpeg A barbecue with some close friends was very lovely and made even lovelier with a few modest wines from Piedmont. Lamb heart and kidney kebabs stole the food show whilst the Roero was the star of the three wines.

22. The only bad thing about most bottles from Meinklang is that they are not Magnums, such a brilliant producer.

Leon Marks likes this.
  23. No complaints about my Chablis (see above).

Chablis 1er Cru Foret 1999 Raveneau Web.jpg Chablis 1er Cru Foret 1999 Raveneau Cork Web.jpg

Good looking cork, with only a small edge falling off when pulling it out. Damp to half way then dry. Anxiety about prem-ox (it is 21 years old but you know what I mean) lifted quite a bit and my suspicions of it being in fine fettle were confirmed when I poured it.
    Just the right shade of gold for its age and first sniff didn't even reveal any hints of natural oxidisation. just lovely mineral, stony, orange pith rising from the glass. A lovely richness on the palate intermingled with fresh lemon zest, stone, green apple and nectarine. It followed up with a wash of salinity. Beautiful mature Chablis as it should be. Half the bottle left for tonight, so it will be interesting to see how it develops overnight.
    Next up was the Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru 2015 from Michel Prunier et Fille (again photo further up). Very dark red, quite brooding. Lovely rustic Pinot aromas you get from these slightly outlying vineyards. Black cherry and concentrated strawberry jam with hints of polished leather. Still young in the mouth with more strawberry jam and cherry flavours and a lovely spiciness. Good finish with quite a bit of tannin. Its not a highly polished 100-pointer but it is what you want from such a village - honest and typical, delivering lots of pleasure.
    Both wines have put me in a real mood for a Burgundian weekend. :)

24. Last night Riverby Estate Chardonnay 2018 and Clos des Papes 03, with some (well, with a very large amount of) aged fillet from OTP.

The Riverby Estate was terrific; reminded me of a more light-footed, briskly elegant relation of Kumeu Mate's. I look forward to revisiting tonight. The Clos des Papes provided pleasure with the fillet, but to be honest I'd probably have derived more pleasure from reading Phil Wilkins giving an account of drinking it.

25. ‘98 Angerville Taillepieds - Mostly dark soils on the nose with just a touch of floral notes, not very forthcoming. Drying tannins on mid-palate. Dark fruits and good acidity but not showing much complexity today. Nowhere near previous bottle a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]