Weekend Drinking 9th Nov

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Mike Humphreys, Nov 9, 2018.

1. I’m also a fan of Gosset GR, with some age. TWS currently have a good price, per six, should anyone feel the need.

2. Have a super time! You are wine royalty AFAIAC, not a commoner at all!

3. Plenty Soalheiro Alvarinho 2016 at Outlaw’s Kitchen in Port Isaac at lunch today. Perfect foil for delicious sharing plates of very fine seafood.

4. Crittenden Savignan Sous Voile 2013

Lots of good things going on but I can’t get past the nose which has too many notes that remind me of an oxidised northern Rhône white. But I guess that’s the point.

Robbie Ward likes this.
  5. Escarpment Kiwa Vineyard Pinot Noir 2013, more linear than most NZ Pinot with crisp red fruit, some residual oatmeal like oak and an earthy spiced finish. It’s delicious.

6. Have just placed an order. 32 quid a bottle delivered is an excellent price I think

This weekend's drinking has so far comprised of a:
    2002 Billecart Salmon Cuvee Nicholas Francois Billecart which seemed Pinot dominated an the entry and Chardonnay dominated on the finish, but angular, a little austere and lacking the finesse I'd expected and hoped for.
    2005 Clos Cazals Just finished this, more waht I was looking for last night but didn't find. More finesse, more fruit, more integrated and simply lovely.

2006 Clarendon Hills Romas Grenache : Big, but not as massive as bygone years from the 90s. Well balanced, meaty, savoury, but with lots of fruit to balance the more suavage elements. Would fool me into thinking Chateauneuf. Very long. Excellent stuff.

Simon Grant likes this.
  7. It was a pity. Roy Hersh missed his flight for some unknown reason. Told security was slow.

8. Mumm Cordon Rouge NV at a reception. Amazingly good, I thought.

9. I thought it was in a good place. It would certainly have gone a few years more and might have even gone up a notch, but I'm loth to keep these Etna wines much beyond 7 or 8 years as I have found that the fruit doesn't keep up with the tannins and acidity. This one was a nice bargain though at under £20, as most good Etna wines are out of my league now, and I don't find the entry-level ones worthwhile (better value Nerello in the hills above Messina, and (in Italy) in Calabria).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  10. Certainly better than it used to be... I had a lovely magnum earlier in the year: lightly floral, citrus zip with the Mumm trademark caramel tones!

11. Just decanted a DM of Flaccianello 2004 for this afternoon’s beef at friends’ house in Cornwall. Tight ruby with some tawny on rim. Rich and initially roasted nose giving way to secondary tobacco leaf with gorgeous lifted floral notes. Palate more primary acidity/tannin grip dominates but great length of fruit so hoping it’ll taste better in 6 hours with the rib rather than post kipper now! F8E3632D-4E5E-49C8-A67F-84BD5AAB79DD.jpeg

12. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Two very impressive wines this weekend, the Bride Valley (Steven Spurrier) Rose 2014 fizz that I thought was genuinely lovely: 80% Pinot Noir and deeply coloured, ripe and creamy but with a lovely gravelly character and smokiness that seemed very terroir-driven to me. Also the Blank Canvas Marlborough Pinot, from winemaker Matt Thomson, wild yeast, whole bunch ferment, 10 months in French oak (30% new) and a really fragrant, not too ripe style with terrific cherry-tang to the fruit and acidity.

13. Double magnum of Flaccianello, love it!

For us it's Ch La Chenade, Lalande de Pomerol 2005. Just decanted and will report back later. Leg of lamb with it...

Will Taylor, Jim Agar and Alex Jagger like this.
  14. Gigondas Raspail-Ay 2014. Really hit the spot last night after a desperately sweet Costieres des Nimes and a desperately austere Faugeres. The dialectic approach to drinking the south of France!

Jim Agar likes this.
  15. Les Gravilices, St Nicolas de Bourgueil, Xavier Amirault, 2011.

16. Amazingly youthful 2005 Dom. Leflaive P-M. From a case which has been remarkably disease free. Intense and tight, lightly toasted hazelnuts and almost painful acidity with a pleasing touch of bitterness. Long and lovely.

17. From last night, we had:

40A9A8D0-A59F-4E56-8566-D6DE7C336CD9.jpeg

The PYCM was excellent, the other wine was an Orin Swift Machete 2015

18. Clocktower pinot noir 2016 from NZ, a kind gift. It's really very nice indeed, shapely, spruce and very drinkable. Much better than expected

19. Birthday lunch at Trompette, lovely tasting menu and a Fevre 2007 Bougros which carried us nicely through most of the meal, crunchy apple and chalk. A 2008 Blaufränkisch, Rosenberg Pittnauer to wash down the short ribs was very relaxed and serviceable - a bit of age suited it well.

20. Local consensus is that ‘14 is a very good vintage, hereabouts.
    It’s the first vintage where rosés have delivered, IM0.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  21. Had a few of these, though not 2005, and seemed excellent value. (The 2014s are £10 a bottle in bond), though I prefer his Le Cruzelles which seems to have a bit more about it and also good value.
    Do have some 2010 Chenade as well.

22. Your birthday or another diner?. Happy Birthday if yours.

23. Birthday dinner on Friday at Elystan Street. Lovely Billecart Salmon NV fizz to start followed by Chateau Palmer 1989. More Cabernet tasting than expected with plenty of blackberries, cedar and coal dust. Gorgeous velvety texture but no heaviness whatsoever. Only 12% alcohol. Not quite the complexity of the very best but I'm certainly not complaining.

24. Tonight, courtesy of my sister, an old favourite - Pierre Guillemot Savigny-les-Beaune blanc Dessus Les Gollardes 2016. I always find this wine chalky and soil-toned and unusual in flavour because of its 70% pinot blanc content. A Reserve del Conte 2012 from Manincor in the Sudtirol followed - an excellent lithe and fresh-tasting wine with fine tannins and lifting acidity. It's a blend of cabernet sauvignon, merlot, and lagrein, organic too - drinking well now, but no hurry.

25. From Marlborough of course Thom. Probably NZ's best kept secret, Marlborough Pinot Noir.

Thom Blach likes this.