Weekend 28 May - 1st June

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Russell Faulkner, May 29, 2020.

1. Very much enjoyed a 2017 Azores Wine Company “Arinto dos Acores” 12.5% last night whilst on a zoom call with some fellow reprobates from this parish. This is really vibrant, lean, racy type of wine and will appeal to those acid fiends amongst us! Unripe grapefruit and tart lemon flavours spring to mind. Touch of viscosity in the mid palate which does temper the acidity somewhat. Very long citrusy/mineral like finish. I think this will open out with further cellaring; would love to try an example with say 8 to 10 years on it.

034C13E8-FBA8-4E64-8D72-F4167DE928DF.jpeg

2. The first bottle we opened was GPL 1970, which had been standing up for a long time ... but was on its (metaphorical) death bed. So rather than put ourselves through that ordeal, we opened the Faiveley...and put ourselves through another one...because it was brutally tannic. But after some rough treatment in the decanter and coaxing it began to open a bit with dark fruited and cherry notes, and went well with a picnic by the river ... but it really needs a decade or more. Previous to that the Caroline Morey was also pretty brutal, laser sharp and uncompromising. The BA was relaxed, a joy, later on.

80D9D27D-2CFB-4835-89FA-1C6BD8B523B4.jpeg

3. As ever the toughest of Faiveley's wines, thanks for the warning. NSGs and Gevreys are quite approachable now, I don't know about the other GCs.

Nick Templeton likes this.
  4. I am all set to open a 2008 Cahors from Chateau Les Croisille. As many know here, it is always a gamble deciding how long to cellar these Cahors Malbecs. I suspect some new world influences here but who knows eh. Stay tuned forumites.

Thom Blach likes this.
  5. upload_2020-5-31_20-42-18.jpeg

After an almost alcohol free week... a very fine "Blonde du Seigneur" 2014... by Vernay... very Burgundian fragrant, red fruits round soft tannins really delicious young wine that says why wait. only 12.5 c alcohol according to label.

6. Various wines over the weekend, including -

Neno de Vino Somoza Godello Web.jpg

Very fresh lemon and lime zest, developing a nutty flavour as the bottle wore on.

Also one picked up at a very decent price at auction. A favourite Burgundy producer of mine but haven't been to the domaine for quite a few years.

Bourgogne Rouge 2014 Tollot-Beaut web.jpg

Drinking well now with good strawberry and cherry aromas and flavours. Some farmyard aromas beginning to develop. Very decent for its appellation.

This one has been on the go all weekend, having a glass with some cheese each night.

Lafaurie=Peyraguey 1999 web.jpg

On top form. Great botrytis aromas and caught this before it develops barley sugar flavours which I'm not so keen on. Very honeyed with tangerine flavours and great richness mopped up by fine acidity.

7. 2016 Domaine Bruno Lupin Roussette de Savoie Frangy - light yellow, medium body, citrus, lots of fresh acidity. Long mineral/lemon finish. Went well with a simple meal of chicken breast with saute potatoes and leeks au gratin...

8. Visited the domaine last year - great experience; have bought a few since then...

Paul Anderson likes this.
  9. 04338F2D-BB6C-4644-82EF-FC8BEC02F853.jpeg
    2008 Fattorie Romeo del Castello Etna Rosso “Vigo” DOC 14%
    Expressive notes of antique furniture, leather and tobacco leaf overlay red fruit. Opened late last night but drinking much better today. Fresh, lively acidity with very dry, bitter tannins. It is marginally corked (picked up on the palate rather than the nose) and this does suppress the wine somewhat. You do notice the high alcohol. A good rather than spectacular bottle.

Jim Agar and Mahmoud Ali like this.
  10. Nathalie is very welcoming and we usually tasted down in the cellar amongst the barrels where she'd pull out a few old vintages for me to taste. I still get their newsletter and price list every year. I should really arrange a return visit some time, but judging by their prices nowadays I won't be able to buy as much as I used to. Even their GCs were below £35 12 years ago!!!

11. This was big, burly and no better than good.
    F05F65A6-F610-479A-A4C4-6DC7C0973E44.jpeg
    With an Ikea bag of cherries that were on the tree this morning.
    EE9B7C16-CE06-4BE7-9E1B-E9E6C0EC3783.jpeg

Though the golden raspberries were even better!

4EEA9CE2-7360-425F-A042-066CBC657A20.jpeg

12. 20200531_174847.jpg
    So impressed with this

13. IMG_20200531_215927.jpg

This was surprisingly good tonight, I thought it would be too young, it's light but complex with secondary development. I have no idea if it would get better. This sits in the category of wines I should buy more of but don't due to buying other things.

14. Le Grappin St Aubin 2016 En l'Ebaupin. Lucky accident as herself raided the wine fridge while I was recovering from trip to Brum to empty daughter's uni digs.
    Immediate impression is chalky/sherbet note, lots of dry apple and pear, persistent in the mouth, lots of acid tang, I suspect on the basis of little knowledge that this could last a long time, but not sure if I have any more. Really well made and pleasing.

15. 1980 Croft Porto Vintage Quinta da Roêda - light colour, pink with a touch of tawny. Slightly spicy, figs, raisins, alcohol a bit too forward. Finish a bit hot, not great complexity. The end of a case which has been very enjoyable, if not hitting the real heights, and this seems to be on the way down - I wouldn't advise holding on to this for much longer.

16. 803E4470-0B2B-4520-A839-78ADC9F8A578.jpeg

Luce 2010. Dark, brooding, the nose is fresh, black cherries, a little smokey. More black cherry on the front of the palate, some black currants too, mocha and blood orange on the finish. A bit of heat on the finish takes away from what otherwise could be considered an excellent wine. I quite like this despite James Suckling’s enthusiasm, the Petrus of Montalcino, 200 points, blah blah bollocks etc.

17. Picked these up in a BBR sale a year or 2 ago. The first one was overly reductive, which I blamed on the screw cap, but this is drinking beautifully now. Tropical fruit and grapefruit acidity. Lovely.

upload_2020-5-31_23-26-7.jpeg

18. image.jpeg image.jpeg We had yesterday a half Ruinart Rose, quite ok, but not really my wine. The colour, the nose and the acidity are not our kind of thing, ok, but too expensive as well.
    A bottle Château Clinet 1992 war punching above it's expected weight. Medium ruby, nearly no brown tones,
    Fresh nose, good red berry aromae coming out of the glass, melted tannins, ripe and mature and holding, quite impressive for such a small year.
    But the highlight was sandwiched between those: a half bottle of Jadots Montrachet 1990. A wine from a seemingly undergone world: light mouldy Cork :), medium golden colour, healthy nose, even fresh for todays standards, creamy, butter, nuts, hay, full bodied, mature but in a good way, holding. A treat from the old Riedel Burgundy Glas. Highlight of the meal. I don't know why Burgundy winemakers have lost the ability or willingness to make such wines again.
    Cheers
    Rainer

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  19. We had two really lovely wines last night to accompany some tapas-style dishes and BBQ rib-eye beef with a host of vegetables. First up was the Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado 2009 - quite open and ready to go on opening and far less austere than the 2000. Detailed fruit flavours with hints of strawberry and something a bit more exotic and dry like barberry. Plenty of substance and stuffing mid-palate without any heaviness. A triumph of a wine, and up there with the very best rose wines of the world. I've no doubt that this will age well, but this was singing so why delay? **** We followed with a Jadot Corton Greves grand cru 2001. This has evolved quite significantly over the last two years and is now drinking very well - the mid-palate tightness that was there until recently has now disappeared and the flavours are now more integrated and obviously secondary. This has grand cru weight and substance to it and some of the earthy ferrous tones that you get from red Corton. **** A joy to drink. Jadot did really well with the 2001s - the ones I bought have all been lovely wines.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  20. Pleased to hear about the Jadot Corton Greves. I have the 12 and 14 and not tried yet...

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  21. Jadot + Corton = a long wait for things to resolve fully :(. I have a case of the Pougets 2010, that will need another ten years, but I expect greatness.

Graham Harvey likes this.
  22. Has underlying fruit but it’s all hidden by a steely quality and a pleasing ‘bite’ - more Puligny than Meursault one could say ;)
    BF997FD0-B991-4067-9302-9428CC197FB6.jpeg

23. Since Waitrose own brand 2008 vintage is on sale (£20), I bought one and opened yesterday. It has 2008 acidity, not dumb, quite a bit of apple nose but not too green. Pleasant, a tiny bit dosage feeling in the back palate but not really a problem for me. For the price I found it not bad.

24. Rodda rocks!
    Did you source (sic) this in UK, Max?! Or Oz?

25. That is, forgive me, a vile colour for a wine!