Weekend 28 May - 1st June

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Russell Faulkner, May 29, 2020.

1. Day 2 of 2016 Chateau Pontac Lynch, Cru Bourgeois, Margaux - the bottle has really benefited from being opened 24 hours ago as my opinion on the wine has completely changed for the better. Seductive and alluring Margaux nose and really lovely mouthfeel - all of the elbows, knees and rough edges have fallen away. It can now be drunk with pleasure although obviously a baby. Lovely stuff and with the 2016 give it 24 hours or a decade in the cellar.

I had a look in Jane Anson's Inside Bordeaux and found out that this Cru Bourgeois was founded 1720 and has been converting to organic since 2017 and is due to complete this year. The chateaux is literally in the heart of Margaux, it is surrounded by Ch. Margaux to the north, D'Issan to the south west, and Palmer to the east. Fantastic terroir no doubt. Planted 45% Merlot 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc and 5% Petit Verdot. Good to see on Google Maps.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. I met PYCM a few years ago at a tasting and asked about the cork/ wax/ bottle regimen. It’s all an effort to minimise premox. The corks are longer and wider than is the case at most Domaines hence they fit more snugly. However the bigger corks are more difficult to insert at bottling and quite a few of the bottles used to shatter on the bottling line. Hence he commissioned stronger (heavier) bottles. The wax helps reduce oxygen ingress so is another line of defence against pox.

....or he could just start using DIAM corks !

3. Interesting Stephen. I recognised that the corks we serious bits of kit chosen to be the best they possibly could be, but hadn’t realised they necessitated sturdier bottles. Makes sense when you think about it. I remember discussing corks with Jesus Madrazo, formerly of Contino, and the amount of time and expense he put in to selecting and testing prospective corks was notable. PY will be no different.

Stefan Bogdanski likes this.
  4. Some nice bottles this weekend:

Arteis and Co BdB 2004 - rich, nutty bdb with good precision. Disappeared very quickly.
    9E7A316B-2570-45F6-9F68-34B723C5F997.jpeg

Daumas Gassac Cuvee Emile Peynaud 2007 - 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from a small plot planted directly outside the winery. Great perfume. Real Margaux lookalike. Still youthful, but everything together and drinking very well indeed.
    1F9DDDEF-880B-4251-AA99-B869EFF1D947.jpeg

Domaine de Castelnau Entendoir de Fees pays' d'Oc 2016 - 100% Syrah from an area not far from Pezenas. Picked this up from Vincognito and it’s a stunner. Spicy, high octane Syrah with loads of peppery goodness. Great weight and structure. Not big or overtly rich, but plenty of power. Really good.
    B25C1ED2-DA10-4832-BE0E-03BFD55854FE.jpeg

Division Wine Making Co Gamine Aligote 2018 - this was suitcases back from a trip to New York last year. Recommended by the brilliant team at Chambers St Wines. It’s from a new AVA in Oregon called Elkton which is part of the Umpqua AVA (typically warmer than Willamette) but is only 20 miles from the Pacific and is actually cooler than Willamette. Really precise and refreshing Aligote. Not without substance though. A bit of phenolic grip in there, lovely texture. Unlikely to ever drink this again, but glad to have tried it!
    63554E64-1ECD-4499-BACC-0BDEE29440FC.jpeg

5. Thanks, Chris. Just what I have been looking for, purchase made.

Chris Davies likes this.
  6. Thanks for the explanation. Really not a fan of using all that glass, but maybe unavoidable...

Richard_Brooks likes this.
  7. It will be very interesting to see how the vintage develops. I liked it a great deal at the EPs, much more than 14 and 15 (though I accept that 15 is supposed to be more "serious") and was intrigued to see how even the merchants were not that positive about the 17.

8. The bottles are, frankly, ridiculous (I've posted a few rants on here about them), there really is no excuse. Harder to complain about the corks: yes possibly a pain, but rather that than pox! And they are the only corks that I am genuinely sorry to be throwing out - quite stylish I always think :cool:

As for wax: I used to think it's a pain, but the sort of wax people use these days is no problem, just put the corkscrew in through the wax and pull the cork out. Makes a very small mess and you get style-points for the "classy" looking bottle :p

Chris Davies and Nick Amis like this.
  9. 84B0F816-0C68-4394-9252-06BB4FBE0CB6.jpeg
    Peter Lauer 2014 Kupp Kabinett Fass #5 (Auktion). I would put this, Prüm’s WS, Schaefer’s Domprobst and the Egon Müller Scharz at the very top of the Kabinett tree. Thank god this stuff is still not widely fancied. Three of the best value truly great fine wines in the world today.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  10. Wintricher Ohligsberg Spaetlese 2005, Reinhold Haart (11 06, 8%), A really gorgeous gold-green, all tingly like some old polished gold nugget. A little subdued on the nose, but in the mouth, excellent balance between honey and fruit, quite viscous with a hint of spice/white pepper, only beginning to show some secondary development. Long. The aftertaste is firm, if a little discrete, showing the site well. You just want to keep drinking it - In a great place.

Ken Oliver and Richard_Brooks like this.
  11. Stefan — read Stephen’s explanation re the bottles. You may not like it, but there’s obviously a need for more robust bottles to go with PY’s choice of cork.

Stefan Bogdanski likes this.
  12. I'm prepared to bet that I will be living on the moon before you (or I) do that. :p

Avant Kapoor likes this.
  13. Off to make some sugar syrup for an afternoon of French 75s in the garden. The Ooni pizzas planned for early evening may end up (even) wonkier than usual.

Richard Zambuni and Alex Jagger like this.
  14. I posted my comments on PYCM before Stephen's explanation.. I see where they are coming from, but just wish there was another way.. Still any efforts to avoid pox are a priority.

Simon Wheeler and Simon Grant like this.
  15. This was good at the EPs, Avant, so it will be nice to get your take on it when you decide to open a bottle. I'm not sure I'd wait quite as long as 19 years:(, but 7 could be a good guess to try. Then again, it could be a terrible time to try :rolleyes:

Avant Kapoor likes this.
  16. Another Alto Piedmont bottle yesterday and much more on form than Friday’s Fara. 2011 Gattinara from Mauro Franchino. This is a really elegant wine, persistent but not weighty, nicely resolved but in no way old. Lovely wild strawberry fruit and ultrafine silky tannins. Rather moreish although I did save half for sometime next week (although I cannot claim restraint, I also opened some Guido Rivella Langhe Nebbiolo 2016).

Purchased from uncorked earlier in the year for about £25, a lot of wine for the money.

Edit - also weighs in at only 13.5%, nothing overdone here.

79383543-3106-4F93-9BFA-07812A88E3F5.jpeg

17. In pre-plague times, we had a cracking couple of these on New Year’s eve in Ferrara. They sneak up on you though, don’t they.

Ian Sinnott and Bryan Collins like this.
  18. I envy the constitution that can survive an afternoon of French 75s.

Bryan Collins likes this.
  19. They do! I'm not generally a cocktail person I must admit. I shall endeavour to take it relatively easy...

Reserve your envy until survival is proven.

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  20. I’ve been buying this from Stannary. Lovely wine. Not had the 2011, but the 2014 was marvellous. Got some 16’s to come too

21. 0168FA1C-F12F-4387-96DF-B805A2789996.jpeg
    Not seen Keith posting much on the forum and hope he is ok. This was a house I came across during his famous Old World v New World Chardonnay tasting with Paul Day. Lovely wine. Still on its way up - best on night 3 - this was lean to begin with and put on weight. Lovely cashew on the nose. Not as heavy as some MR Chardonnay and maybe better for it.
    Having been here for a couple of years now, it’s interesting that Keith chose 3 Beachworth Chardonnay’s and 1 Margret River for the tasting. I agree that Beachworth is the best QPR Chardonnay region, but not so sure it’s better than the Yarra Valley.

22. good thoughts, Cameron. for Aussie chardonnay I've enjoyed many bottles from Margaret River (Cullen Leeuwin, Pierro, Voyager, Vasse Felix etc). love the Yarra pinots but not that familiar with the whites. what would you recommend?

23. Consuming the meal we bought at the Italian restaurant yesterday so needed an Italian wine, of which I own very few.
    was initially a touch nervous as to the vegetal (is that stewed) nose and quite acidic finish but 20 mins in it got there into a decent place. Must have been quite hard work in its youth and very grippy. Mrs H preferred it to the Sena of last night. It is 30 years old and a different type of wine so hard to compare but she glazed over at that point and said she liked this one.

3CCB5E1F-3064-42B2-854E-F6F4EEF73325.jpeg

24. James

it all depends on the style you are after. Beach worth wines seem quite large in stature, while the Yarra has some leaner versions. I prefer the modern to the classical, so names like Bobar, Luke Lambert and Dappled fit my bill, but traditionalist would go for Mount Mary, Oakridge, Giant Steps , Coldstream Hills, Hoddles Creek, Yates Yerring etc.

I don’t suppose I try enough of the reds to really confirm this, but I would find it hard to believe that Chardonnay really isn’t the best made wine style in Aus. Yes, there is a lot of expensive old vine Shiraz, but that’s not a grape that is as widely planted as Chardonnay and we don’t all want to spend a fortune on our wines.

25. 108A05E8-CC46-4B2F-825C-F0C3EEEC3F46.jpeg First drink of a late lunch in the garden, a superb Haag Spätlese. Limes, stones, salt and tingly acidity, in a perfect, primary phase.