Weekend 28 May - 1st June

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Russell Faulkner, May 29, 2020.

1. 90B0E885-E739-45B9-98A8-9D009443022B.jpeg
    Sweet fruit with added sous-bois complexity. Absolutely lovely with a hefty veal chop covered with these:
    3760DA98-2185-43A8-81F6-3F1B4649B129.jpeg

I trust you’re on commission, Alex :)

Edited to add:
    • 2001 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis (30/05/2020)
      A lovely combination of sweet deep red fruit and sous bois maturity. Vibrant and joyful, occasionally switching to something darker and more serious before flitting back to its more exuberant joie de vivre side. Super with a rib of veal and morels. **** (91 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  2. 9D0E7F6E-8E5B-47C7-9803-37A8B18F0794.jpeg 5CF84B9C-2162-46BA-B2E9-FAFB22C84948.jpeg

Lamarche Echezeaux GC 1996.. two bottles bought a few weeks ago completely oxidised and cloudy. Will contact the retailer to see if they will refund.:(

Need to look for a plan B for this evening... maybe another bottle of the Rauzan Gassies as that won’t require any time in the decanter.

The Foundry GB 2018 earlier was lovely with king crab for lunch.

3. I "liked" your post Jason in agreement that you should contact the merchant, not to like the fact that your Echezeaux is f-ed.

4. Hi Simon, I’m relatively new to red burgundy wines - do village Morey wines normally last 19 years? I’ve just bought a case of the 2016 village Morey by Coquard Loison Fleurot from the J&B sale and would be happy to leave it for at least 15 years if it will last that long.

5. F5435921-253B-4228-B2D6-FD5143392025.jpeg

Plan B. Decanted to remove the sediment but this Rauzan Gassies 1967 is absolutely fine!

... waiting for Mark’s comment about the last wine and creosote :)

6. image.jpg

Worked well with both big red prawns and sea bass. Impressive concentration and lovely minerality and a citrus pith twist. Proper wine.

Mahmoud Ali and Graham Harvey like this.
  7. C6912297-D9CB-4393-B226-C3099DC6BBEB.jpeg

Much better than its Rosé counterpart that I opened yesterday. Very youthful, pale straw, tight but lots of potential development.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  8. Not Simon but I would say yes, on the whole, though in a vintage like 2001 only the finest producers, like Dujac, made village wines that have stood the test of time. Conversely village wines from for example 1999 and 1996 are often only just ready for full enjoyment.
    The wines of today are made rather differently in many ways, it has to be said, and are generally enjoyable younger. If a wine is really enjoyable now there is no particular reason to keep it just for the sake of keeping it, but there's only one way of finding out-I'd certainly be interested to know how that wine is drinking.

Nick Templeton and Avant Kapoor like this.
  9. Thanks Thom, I’ve had a couple of 2005 1erCru burgundies and I thought they were shut down. I’m still trying to get my head round drinking windows for burgundy.

Paul Anderson likes this.
  10. Read Bill Nanson's book Avant, it has good advice on Burgundy drinking windows and Brurgundy in general.

Nick Templeton and Avant Kapoor like this.
  11. I’ll echo what Tom said. However, what you won’t get drinking them young is the more evolved, sous-bois, autumnal, mushroomy, caramel-tinged development. The Dujac had that element without managing to lose the joyous sweet red fruit that reminded me of last weekend’s 2017 Fourrier village Gevrey.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  12. Me too.

13. 2007 Mount Pleasant Lovedale. The perfect refresher that didn't cost a fortune... 11.5% of deliciousness.

Lovedale 650px 6.jpg

14. And everybody else....

Alex Jagger likes this.
  15. Much development Phil? The 05 is still a baby.

16. upload_2020-5-30_21-27-49.jpeg

This is very drinkable. Sangiovese from Emilia-Romagna from a young producer getting a fair bit of press from Galloni and others just now.

Dark cherry, leather and peppery spice. Great freshness and energy on the finish, withy herby menthol flavours into the long finish. Glug glug glug.

Served with some lamb cutlets from the butchery and some baby spuds fried in the fat and some token spinach, yum!

upload_2020-5-30_21-30-2.jpeg

17. Alain Graillot Crozes 1999 with a venison shoulder cooked in the pressure cooker with shallots and juniper.

The wine is mainly composed of iron ore, with hints of pepper and still some decent structure. Upright, slightly strict and very ‘proper’. Not a loose or slutty note in sight. The shape of the wine reminds me a little of Grivot. It really is rather excellent. Only Thalabert 90 springs to mind as a better Crozes experience that I’ve had.

18. V nice Simon. I picked this up too so can't wait as will be delivered not before long (also picked up a lot of sparkling and whites from UV too). Also have Condello's Lucciole (name?) in bond. Worth watching the Eric Guido Vinous Zoom / youtube interview with her. Lovely cuisine too.

Simon Reilly likes this.
  19. Thanks Chris, I’ll look out for the book.

I had this delicious Macon Verze tonight. Lemon, hint of honey and oak. I would love to try one of his Puligny Montrachet’s

Attached Files:

Mahmoud Ali and Chris Davies like this.
  20. It’s lovely, drinking really well. Presumably the riserva will need a bit more time but this is good to go and I can see me drinking this case pretty quickly!

Graham Harvey likes this.
  21. ah, brings back memories. Lucky you! One of our fave places, also by bike. Still amazed that even at moderately ritzy places, no one ever showed any sniffiness at us turning up in cycling gear.

Like you, am quite partial to Pöckl Admiral and other Cab-Zweigelt blends.

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  22. Our fun local cafe/restaurant reopened for take away, O frabjous day, so their chicken and leek pie a must. A Kumeu Coddington 2011 went nicely. Notes said this was a tricky vintage and while solidly pleasing this didn't quite shine. A bit of grapefruit and nutty, medium length. 20200530_191432.jpg Good acid to cope with tarragon gravy!

23. Today, an Australian Chardonnay - Crittenden Estate Kangerong Chardonnay 2016 from Mornington Peninsula. Quite light in colour; pleasant and fresh, grapefruit, just a touch of oak. Attractive, easy to drink but ultimately just a bit simple compared with the Pernand-Vergelesses Sous Fretille I had a few days ago - though admittedly somewhat cheaper...

24. That pie looks so tempting...

25. This evening we cooked a lovely turbot from Henderson’s whole on the bbq with peas, broad beans and asparagus from the garden, and drank yet another bottle of PYCM St Aubin en Remilly 2013, we’re getting through the case quickly as it’s drinking so well right now and it was a lovely match for the fish