Weekend 28 May - 1st June

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Russell Faulkner, May 29, 2020.

1. We are halfway through moving so I had to venture to the supermarket today. These from the organic shelves.

The white is perfectly acceptable. And perfectly forgettable.

F34FB28F-9205-48DD-8660-7666CE388077.jpeg

Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  2. I can feel a cocktail coming on soon, maybe something whiskey based for a change - a mint julep or maybe a Manhattan or Old Fashioned.

Later, the little Thai around the corner from our house has just reopened, so in the interests of supporting them and not having to be arsed to make anything, we are having a takeaway from them tonight accompanied by this:

1590769513347388364140278320748.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  3. No 1 child has decided she is cooking a couple of things from her new French cookbook (michel roux Junior) so we are in for Tarte aux Legumes and then Magret de canard au sauce Bordelaise. So in the absence of any decent dry white Bordeaux in the house it's a Vasse Felix Sem/Sauv 2013 then

F8334897-D0AA-40DB-A0AF-49B84F1B5394.jpeg

4. For a reason that I cannot explain or understand I’ve decided I quite fancy opening an old Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc tonight. It’s strange how the mind works. Maybe I am subconsciously craving a compound that exists only in old New World Sauvignon.

Intrigued now to find out if it’s an inspired desire or complete folly.

A martini first though.....

Alex Jagger and Chris Davies like this.
  5. Mint Julep:

15907741921353479580451411438355.jpg

6. One of these lined up for tonight. Hopefully very restrained for a Napa Chardonnay (don’t see too many at 13%...)

9B90ABE7-4C59-44F6-B8B2-D5F7D053EE29.jpeg

7. Popped out to get dinner from Waitrose and so got a bottle of Georges Duboeuf Fleurie 2018 for me tonight. Tastes like raspberries.

8. We were meant to be away for our anniversary so didn’t need to make any effort but covid meant I had to do a little something.
    First takeaway for a long while.

special occasion so..
    Bollinger LGA Rose 2004 - another great bottle
    Beaucastel 2013 VV with an idea to pair with the lobster. Not the best vintage but in a good enough place. I did prefer the 12 as the 13 is a touch soft,
    1999 Weingut Werner & Sohn Trittenheimer Apotheke Riesling Auslese Auction. Reminds me of a Donnhoff, light in colour and quite lemon driven

All great though will save a good amount of VV for tomorrow. Never had a Werner & Sohn but pretty good for money even as an auction wine. Cheese and Lemon tart worked well with it,

1608FCF7-C4DB-4FD8-BC46-4B9B998B6EDD.jpeg

9. Michel Lafarge Volnay 2017 - seem to have caught this well - lovely deep dark and red cherry fruit with a tangy finish. Haven’t really caught a village Lafarge on its fruit like this before and it is very good. I have to say, the 2017 reds I have tried so far (not many) have been excellent.

Follows a really fun and informative tasting by 67PM with Richard Bampfield and Alberic Bichot, a blind tasting of 6 of the Bichot wines. Very nice wines all of them, mostly village level. Blind tasting definitely brought me back down to earth on my ability to discern subtle differences between villages, but Richard’s tutored walk through was excellent.

10. E0768B00-9D29-43A5-8AA0-25849152BF2D.jpeg Mediocre but still alive - and I never would have guessed it was 18yrs old. Gotta try these things...

11. Posh takeaway Mike! Looks great... from a local Richmond restaurant?

12. Needed something a little less pedestrian....the genius of Michel Bregeon. This needs another decade to show at its best but it’s still utterly thrilling.

C9C39338-9B08-4393-9046-5945E26990F0.jpeg

13. Yes St Margarets. They are trying to keep things ticking over and it was pretty good though trying to do Duck Confit, Lobster etc in take away form always takes away from what is solid good food. Lemon Tart fared very well, Frites felt normal take away fare.Lobster, starters pretty good.
    Was nice not to cook though makes me miss real restaurants and especially the Glasshouse and La Trompette.

14. Happy anniversary!

Mike Humphreys likes this.
  15. CD554983-8F32-4DBE-85D0-B2A488752531.jpeg

Notes of orange, quite cloying and sweet, could be drinking Lucozade and saving a load of cash.

16. A juicy and very drinkable Gevrey La Croix des Champs 13 from Mark Haisma which was starting to mature with plenty of cherry fruit still, evaporated on opening

17. I joined the same Zoom tasting as Matthew. Some tasty wines, no showstoppers, but I did learn something (mostly about paying attention to the tannins).

TASTING THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN KEY BURGUNDY RED WINE VILLAGES WITH ALBÉRIC BICHOT & RICHARD BAMPFIELD MW - Zoom! (5/29/2020)

Wines served single blind.
    • 2016 Maison Albert Bichot Beaune Epenottes Domaine du Pavillon - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune
      Dark colour reflects the concentration of the vintage. Gorgeous deep, perfumed blackcurranty nose. A touch of sweet oak (around 20% new). Quite bright and acid on palate, and long and somewhat spicy too. One does notice the tannins and although they're relatively fine this is the giveaway it's CDB rather than CDN. A real sense of ease to the wine though, all in all, and good value. My #2 wine tonight. (91 pts.)
    • 2016 Maison Albert Bichot Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
      More restrained cranberry/raspberry nose. Floral and refined. Brighter and tarter on the palate - the fruit outguns the tannins. Good length, with menthol adding lift on the finish. (91 pts.)
    • 2016 Maison Albert Bichot Gevrey-Chambertin Les Evocelles - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
      Deeper and gamier on the nose. A touch of oak and really ripe fruit. Broader on the palate - red fruit, more game. Really fine tannins, but enough to give structure. Group's #2, my WOTN (92 pts.)
    • 2016 Maison Albert Bichot Pommard Clos des Ursulines Domaine du Pavillon - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard
      Darker fruit, and the most tannin of tonight's wines. Black cherry and blackcurrant. Very expressive and aromatic. Quite structured and mouth puckering even the tannins are full of fruit flavour. Needs more time, but (having looked at the professional reviews of this wine) the critics mostly called this wrong. (90 pts.)
    • 2016 Maison Albert Bichot Nuits St. Georges Domaine du Clos Frantin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges
      The palest colour of tonight's wines. Ethereal nose. Really crystalline on the palate - crunchy red fruit, and sweet tobacco. Lovely balance - very even on the palate. A lighter style of NSG. (89 pts.)
    • 2016 Maison Albert Bichot Vosne-Romanée Domaine du Clos Frantin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
      From Damaudes (above Malconsorts, bringing finesse) and Maizieres (below Suchots, contributing power). Flowers and rich fruit on the nose. Strawberry, some tannin, some bitterness. Big flavour - jewel-like and juicy. Velour tannins. Group WOTN, but didn't completely grab me. (90 pts.)
    Definite differences between the wines despite a consistent house style and the same winemaking employed throughout. I managed to call Chambolle and Gevrey, which were true to stereotype, but thought the spice of the Beaune meant it was the Vosne and the depth of the Pommard meant it was the NSG (in fact the NSG was, surprisingly, the lightest wine tonight and I thought it was the Beaune).

Bichot house style - perfumed, relatively juicy, middle of the road winemaking - seems to suit my palate, without the wines really exciting.

Then a bottle of this delicious liquid. A shame the cork and bottle are so over-engineered though.
    • 2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Santenay 1er Cru Passetemps Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Santenay 1er Cru (5/29/2020)
      Killer wine. Broad but electric, mouth-filling but precise, the perfect amount of creamy oak and a delicious, moreish citrus salinity. Not complex, but completely delicious. My only bottle unfortunately - this was ready, and far from tight, but has tons of life left. (92 pts.)

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  18. Pernand Vergelesses 1er cru Sous Fretille (Remi Rollin). A bit deeper in colour than the last one, but still fresh, no sign of pox; a bit of oak, citrus, apple, nice length of finish. Went nicely with some pork fillet with cider and mustard.

19. Infanticide with a 2016 Chateau Pontac Lynch, Cru Bourgeois, Margaux. I have been drinking lesser 2016s out of curiosity which I have mostly picked up from Costco. I have had one or two hits (Chateau du Glana, St. Julien - best so far) and some misses too. In the spirit of discovery I cracked open the Margaux and immediately found it quite a dark brooding, plenty of power and tannins, and some yet to be fully integrated new oak. Underneath there was good acidity and freshness and after some time in the glass the aromas opened up for a few moments before closing again. I would say that this wine needs a decade from now, and at least a half decade to become convincingly drinkable. I do not regret at all these educational examinations and I may pick up one or two more to age properly. If I had to give it a score it would be an 87+ today with potential for being an 89. Would be reasonably good value if bought now and cellared at home.

20200530_010757.jpg

20. Hi Nick, thanks for the notes. Bichot is one of my favourite producers to try at EP tastings as I like the style too across the range. I look forward to watching the Zoom in question once it is listed on their website. I just wondered why you mentioned that the PYCM cork and bottle are so over-engineered? Many thanks Graham

21. Although not a cheap wine, it isn't grand either, but the bottle was thick and heavy withe deepest punt I've ever come across. The cork was so long that my corkscrew (one of those ones with two levers) went completely in and still barely managed to remove it. I don't mind the wax cap as the corkscrew just ploughs through that.

22. Is wax proven to be anything other than decorative? It's certainly a pain in the arse

23. Wax capsules belong in Room 101.

24. Thanks @Nick Amis. I assume the bottles and corks are the same across the PYCM range? Cheers

25. I’ve come around to quite liking them but only the ones your either pull cork straight through or the ones that come off in an easy piece or two, the more supple ones.
    Yes the dry hard, comes off in 167 pieces I can leave :)