TN Vouvray Le Mont moelleux Huet 2005

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Richard Zambuni, May 21, 2019.

1. Sweet chenin seems to have gone out of fashion if the dearth of tasting notes or even mentions here on the Forum is anything to go by. And I think I've been guilty of dialing back on this type of wine since my original infatuation with sweet chenin in the late eighties and nineties, when old vintages could be bought for a song (think various vintages of Moulin Touchais and the Poniatowski wines from la Vigneronne). Anyway, I thought this wine was worth a note. Now a slightly coppery gold in the glass with a beautifully pungent nose showing old wax candle, confit lemon, spiced pear, lanolin, quince and some sort of savoury herbal note on the nose. Those words don't do it justice - it's just superb. Long, open and beautifully weighted on the palate this has a lot of power for the straight moelleux. The power is not from alcohol as this is just a middling 12.5%. It finishes with candied citrus fruit, quince and just a hint of clove. This is a joyous wine which I am enjoying with Ottolenghi's green/herb pie (or whatever it's called). Clear ****.

2. Lovely note Richard. Been a while since I've opened a sweet Huet but I get through a few Baumard QdCs a year. Taking the 89 to Trompette tomorrow.

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  3. I have the Bourg 05 so thank you for the encouraging note, Richard.

Richard Zambuni likes this.