Food Vinegar Chicken

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Martin Zwick, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:37 AM.

1. Here comes the very popular recipe VINEGAR CHICKEN WITH CRUSHED OLIVE DRESSING by Alison Roman/NYTimes. A typical Alison Roman dish, not fancy, but you will have a smile on your face at the end. Not the worst outcome, I would say. haha

I came across this recipe in January, as my favorite german newspaper DIE ZEIT made a portrait about her and visited her in her NY apartment while cooking this recipe.

Ingredients

4 chicken legs&thighs

1 tsp ground turmeric

6 tbsp olive oil

1/2 cup white wine vinegar

1 1/2 cups green Castelvetrano olives, crushed&pitted

2 garlic cloves, chopped&grated

1 cup parsley, chopped

2 tbsp water

Preparation

1. Put chicken pieces in a oven-proven form and add salt&pepper

[​IMG]

2. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and turmeric

[​IMG]

3. Then add vinegar. Put in the pre-heated oven for 25-30min by 220 C/450F and let it bake without flipping.

[​IMG]

4. Meanwhile combine crushed&pitted olives together with chopped parsley, garlic and 4 tbsp olive oil. Also add 2 tbsp water. Optional you can also add additional salt&pepper.

[​IMG]

5. Remove chicken from the oven and add olive dressing. ENJOY

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 8:48 AM
  2. I love poulet au vinaigre, a very surprisingly wine friendly dish; my preferred version is rather simpler, containing only expensive chicken, butter, red wine vinegar, shallots and seasoning. It is not at all a waste of a Bresse chicken.
    Poulet vinaigre Paul Bocuse

Mark Collings and Martin Zwick like this.
  3. I also have a another vinegar chicken recipe in my portfolio which I really like, based on tarragon vinegar, cream, white wine and fresh tarragon. Also very wine-friendly.

Nick Amis likes this.
  4. I think I'll make one this weekend, preceded by a Tablier de Sapeur, and pretend I am in Lyon.

Martin Zwick likes this.
  5. Any particular wine matches recommended?

6. A 2019 AIX Rosé was a great combo on a sunny evening on the countryside.

And with cream, tarragon I recommend Riesling, Chablis or North- Rhône white wine.

Nick Amis likes this.
  7. I have never had chicken in vinegar - what's the difference between using white and red wine vinegars?

8. The quality rather than the colour is what is important. It's a matter of appearance, but good white wine vinegar is rather rarer than good red. I find it an ideal use for home made.

9. Well, scratch that then. I wouldn't know what a quality wine vinegar is. I've spent my life learning about wine, I've no desire now to go to vinegar tastings. :)

Sarsens brewed malt vinegar on Fish'n'chips; Waitrose red wine vinegar in mint sauce, and the vinegar left in bottles of Garner's pickled onions is great for removing limescale and marks on saucepans. That's the extent of my vinegar knowledge.

10. I used White Aceto Balsamico which is smoother than other White vinegar.

Uups, I remembering Thom hates Aceto Balsamico.

C318222F-E1F7-4A84-8862-E61E3CDA69AA.jpeg

11. Her my classic vinegar recipe with tarragon vinegar:

Ingredients

2 chicken breast or guineafowl suprémes
    250ml cream (30%)
    50ml tarragon vinegar
    1 glass white wine
    350ml chicken stock
    4-5 twigs tarragon
    1 shallot + knob butter

Preparation

1. Heat butter and shallot softly
    [​IMG]

2. Add white wine, chicken stock
    [​IMG]

3. Also add vinegar and 100ml cream

[​IMG]

4. Add fresh tarragon and reduce on medium heat for 45min.

[​IMG]

5. Reduce more than a half

[​IMG]

6. Sieve it

[​IMG]

7. Sautée the chicken breast in another pan

[​IMG]

8. Bring the sieved sauce back to the sauteuse

[​IMG]

9. Add rest of the cream+a little bit more vinegar, white wine, salt

[​IMG]

10. Cook it for 10-15min.

[​IMG]

11. Shortly before serving add some fresh tarragon leaves to the sauce

[​IMG]

12. Add the chicken breast to a plate and add the sauce. ENJOY

[​IMG]

12. I don't, but I don't think it's a substitute for vinegar!

13. Does the colour of the vinegar make any difference to the colour of the wine you would serve with it?

14. I would choose a red, most probably Beaujolais, but a white could do equally well no matter what colour the vinegar.

15. Made the Paul Bocuse recipe linked by Thom above. I’d have loved to have tried the tripe but while I would have loved it I think I’d have been eating toute seule. While shopping in Sainsbury’s though I saw some packets of kipper fillets reduced and was reminded of Simon Hopkinson’s excellent kipper pâté recipe which made an excellent starter accompanied by the remains of a bottle of Tio Pepe en Rama 2020.
    I made some sautéed potatoes and salad with a mustardy dressing to go alongside the chicken and drank a bottle of Thivin’s Côte de Brouilly Les Sept Vignes 2018, chilled to 12 degrees. I don’t think I could imagine a better pairing but would be delighted to hear of one if it exists

Nick Amis and Thom Blach like this.
  16. I didn't manage the chicken in the end but enjoyed a delightful fireman's apron yesterday. A little bit of bother but well worth it.