Food Tzatziki

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Martin Zwick, May 22, 2019.

1. Here comes the sauce for the Gyros Rollbraten, very refreshing. I would serve it also to lamb in summer times.

Ingredients

400-500g greek yoghurt (10%)

1/2 cucumber

3-6 garlic cloves

2 tbsp olive oil

salt&pepper

dash lemon/lime juice

mint leaves, roughly chopped (optional dill)

Preparation

1. Grate half cucumber and add salt. Let it rest for 15-30min. Then throw away the water

[​IMG]

2. Put yoghurt in a bowl, add crushed garlic and cucumber. Also add olive oil and salt&pepper. Add clingfilm and put in the fridge for around 3h

[​IMG]

3. Remove from the fridge and add a dash lime juice and mint leaves. Ready to serve

[​IMG]

ENJOY
    Martin

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. This makes a very thick version,Martin, which tastes good. I have been surprised when eating it in the Ottoman diaspora that this is a distinctly liquid relish.

3. Quite surprising, Thom. Maybe there are some differences between Greece and Turkey. As my aunt married a Greek, I know the version from Thessaloniki. And the greek sheep yoghurt is always thick with 10%. By contrast the yoghurt from Turkey is often thin with 3-4% in my turkish shop.

Anyway this simple cold refreshing sauce (thick or thin) with cucumber&mint surprised me yesterday night on the balcony in Berlin, as we had still 23-24 C at around 20:00. Really worth to make it for other dishes in summer time.

4. No dill, Martin? I've always though that dill is an essential flavour for tzatziki. I agree that it should be thick and creamy.

5. Oh yes Richard, dill is possible too. First I thought to write it in the recipe as an option, then I thought maybe dill is an german&scandinavian modification. But mint is such good and also such Mediterranean.

Antti Jokinen and Richard Ward like this.
  6. Thickness obviously varies according to local tradition, and the dish under various names does have a very wide geographical distribution. Water is even sometimes added if the yoghurt is very thick, and Greeks quite often add a little vinegar, which is surprisingly good.I think vinegar, except for balsamic (which isn't really vinegar in many ways) is a very neglected condiment these days.

7. Neglected? Not by my mother in law......

8. Thanks Martin. Heavy on the garlic (not necessarily a bad thing), EVOO is good, a dash of vinegar (and I completely agree with Tom's comments in this regard) or lemon juice (lime juice seems odd though), mint and/or dill... but the distinct lack of cucumber is what seems most wrong to me (sorry Martin)!

9. Lack of cucumber??? There is a half of cucumber in this recipe.

Simon Wheeler and Thom Blach like this.
  10. Yes, there's half a kilo of yoghurt but only half a cucumber. I'd be using more like double that if using a large Telegraph cucumber, or even more than double if using the smaller Lebanese/English cucumber (which are far better IMO). But perhaps I just like more cucumber in my tzatziki than many forumites.

11. More Cucumber In My Tzatziki.

If Half Man Half Biscuit ever run out of themes to explore......

12. However much (or little) cucumber you add, I do think it is essential to salt, rinse and press (with kitchen paper) as much water out of the grated cucumber as possible. Otherwise the water seeps out and makes the yoghurt watery.

13. Maybe our german cucumbers are bigger than the rest of the world. haha

The most important thing is that Tzatziki gives freshness to the Gyros or in general to a dish. But whether you add 1/2 cucumber or 1 cucumber is not such important for this dipp/sauce I would say, as even a half of cucumber gives good freshness. The rest is personal taste.

Also whether you add lemon or lime juice is personal taste. I find lime more sublime than lemon.

And yes, like Thom said, vinegar is a very underestimated and helpful tool in cooking. Sometimes during cooking a dish I think something is missing, then I add a dash of lemon/lime and everything fits together.

Antti Jokinen likes this.