Travel Travel to Tuscany

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alex Lake, May 24, 2019.

1. We'll be going to Tuscany in October and were trying to think of ways to travel that don't involve flying. To drive all the way there and back seems like quite an effort, so I was wondering if one might drive some of the way there, get a train to Florence (maybe an overnight) and then pick up a rental car.

I can't seem to easily see the main train routes in Europe to work out what's possible.

Any suggestions?

2. A cycle ride would sharpen your appetite for the fine cuisine at the other end.

Alex Lake likes this.
  3. And any recommendations for nice but inexpensive hotels somewhere between Nancy & Basel - ideally with EV charging

4. For the three years to 2017 we travelled overnight from Harwich, put the car on the train from Dusseldorf and debarked in either Verona or Livorno. Nice way to travel, with dinner as you track the Rhine. I think last summer it was run by Urlaubs-Express to Verona only and not sure if it’s back up this year. We intend to drive both ways this year, have done it once before and so long as you treat the journey as part of the fun, with good stopovers it is no great hardship. Can’t help with your specific request for hotels in that area but I'm sure others will be along shortly.

Alex Lake likes this.
  5. Neil Sellen likes this.
  6. Eurostar to Lyon, then switch to a direct train to Milan, from there Bologna or Firenza are easily accessible. Banh.de is very useful for these sorts of things.

7. Actually scrap that if you put it into google you can do it in 11hours. London - Paris. Paris - Torino. Torino - Firenza. Easy :)

Alex Lake likes this.
  8. For many years, we put the car on the train at Boulogne, and took it off in Milan, driving down to Tuscany. One year we found a direct car train from Boulogne to Livorno. No idea whether these trains still run, but if so, they took quite large vehicles, so your 1.5cm might not be an impediment.

Always used to drive back from Italy all the way to a Channel port, but taking a week over it. The only rule was a minimum one Michelin star at which to dine every night en route:cool:.

9. Last edited: May 25, 2019
  10. Though worth noting that it's a change of train station in Paris. Maybe the Lyon option is just a change of platform, if so, a more attractive proposition IMO

Alex Lake likes this.
  11. Mark, that's a great idea. I wonder if there are any recommendations for lovely restaurants (maybe with hotel) vaguely in the Nancy/Mulhouse area where we could stop over?

BTW, that train is long dead. Indeed France is likely to cease ALL motorail services as from next year.

12. Just drive the whole thing with a few stopovers.

I'd suggest something like this:

Drive to Folkestone, Eurotunnel over to Calais (approx 30 minutes) and then 6 hours or so down to Beaujolais and stay somewhere like Fleurie, Julienas or Morgon the night (Day 1)

Next day head towards Chambrey, through the Frejus tunnel, Susa, bypass Turin and stay in one of the Barolo villages for the night and gorge on White Truffles, Ceps and copious amounts of Nebbiolo (Day 2)

Onwards to Genoa the next day and just follow the coast south towards Pisa and Livorno before pitching up in Chianti Classico for the night and Sangiovese O'Clock (Day 3)

13. My mouth is watering!!!

14. We’ve driven to Tuscany a few times, but taking three days each way.

Way down stopping with friends conveniently just out of Geneva for night one, a long drive but we leave at 5am), then second night in Piemonte (closer to Alessandria so not far off motorway), and on to Southern Tuscany via the Genoa route.

Way back stopping night one near Aosta (via the route close to Bologna for variety), then to Arbois (turning right at Lausanne and left south of Neuchâtel via Pontarlier). From Arbois it’s a straight run home.

But for me the journey is part of the holiday. I will say that this is an easier option if your Tuscan stay is a week, as this is obviously not good if you’ve booked two weeks in a villa and two off work.

15. Take a ferry Alex not the eurostar. You will scatch all of your wheels on the train

16. Apparently one can elect to go in the roomier section, normally reserved for "large vehicles". Sadly my alloys are already a bit rashy....

17. They sent me to the large car section without any choice (Tesla S). The Destination Charger map on the Tesla site shows many places and we used it successfully last year when going to Giverny in conjunction with the red Michelin.

18. I've done the Chunnel in an S a couple of times. They've had so many complaints from Tesla owners they now put you in the wider carriage by default. Otherwise it's a bit of a squeeze (but perfectly do-able). Basically there were a bunch of people who said "no, I'll scratch my alloys" and they made them go in the usual bit, then, of course, they scratched their alloys and got compensation. Just remember that at Folkstone you can only charge on the way out, and not back in. Calais can be either.

Alex Lake likes this.