TN: Rothbury Estate Brokenback Vineyard Hunter Valley semillon, 1987

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by David Pope, May 29, 2020.

1. I bought a case of this at Straker Chadwick some years ago. Most bottles were past it and I forgot about the last few. I opened one this evening after noticing that it was lighter in colour than the others. Still, I didn't expect much from it but I was pleasantly surprised.
    This was still quite alive. The colour was gold. At first it didn't show much but with aeration and some warming it opened nicely. On the nose it showed aromas of lanolin, lemon, butter and nuts. The palate was soft and rounded with good length. The flavours were of dry stone fruits and juicy lemony acidity. Quite delightful and it went well with my spaghetti with broccoli.
    Hunter Valley semiilons don't usually last this long, although the best may do if properly cellared. This may not have the complexity of the top semillons such as Lovedale and Tyrrell's no. 1 but it was still a delightful surprise. This might be my 'Golden Oldie' of the year.

2. I drank the 1986 say 10 years after the vintage (TN not to hand). It sticks in the memory as I had no hopes as there was significant ullage - to mid shoulder. The wine was pristine.

3. Thank you for the note David. I like it when an unexpected wine performs above and beyond the call of duty.

4. Thanks for the note David. Reminds me of being at Rothbury in 1990 when a large bus party arrived causing one of the staff to say unprintable things and told us to follow him to the museum section. An epic tasting followed. Despite the wonderful old Chardonnays and Shirazes the stars were the old unoaked Semillons. I have no memory of how we got back to the Potters Inn and anything else that day.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Mahmoud Ali and Charles Muttar like this.