TN PN VZ 15

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Matthew Hemming, Jul 20, 2020.

1. There was a brief discussion of this new Bollinger cuvee on another thread. I tasted it today so thought a note might be of interest to some.

Has a broad spectrum of rich aromas - honey, toast, Golden Graham crackers and bright berry fruit. Becomes more floral, with notes of blossom, as it sits in the glass. The attack is linear and very focused for a BdN, with a tight core of nervy acid. Mineral and snappy, with a chalky structural framework, and a dry, vinous profile. The fruit fans out a bit on the mid-palate, with the suggestion of fleshier white stone fruit, but all within the context of driving energy. The taut and elegant style of Verzenay keeps this compact, like a tightly-coiled spring, despite the richness at its core that reflects the breadth of Pinot Noir suggested on the nose. This is a seriously impressive balancing act and comes across as a wine of considerable authority and stature. Finishes with more dark-toned fruit and more than a twist of mineral crunch.
    94/100

(100/100 for having a cryptic name)

Po-yu Sung and Nigel Palesford like this.
  2. Sounds very good and perhaps it will do very well with some Bottle age ? Any idea as to release date and price.
    Terrible name.

3. Edencroft are offering it at 85 per bottle.

4. Yes just had my first email for pre-arrival so not sure on exact release but £350 IB so £58 a bottle (about £73 all in)

5. A daft name. Does not exactly roll off the tongue! However I can see that if the target market is those who appreciate grower champagnes that they (we?) may relish the geeky code.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  6. FWIW I bought, including mags. Will tuck them away for a while.

7. Where did you find the mags. Only saw offers on normal size. And yes I bought some also.

8. Bindex had some.

9. I also got some...

Matthew, would you say these are ready to enjoy or is it worth letting them sleep a year or two before opening the first?

10. The following is written by Anne Krebiehl quoting the Bollinger General Manager (the reference can be easily found on the web):

"It is not a limited edition, there is at least as much volume as our Grande Année. It is going to be available. The price will be in between Special Cuvée and La Grande Année."

11. I'd give it a few years in the cellar as it's very tightly packed at present (although a treat to taste).

I believe this is absolutely the case. An important goal of the project was to make a BdN that was accessible (and scaleable (horrid word for wine))in terms of both price and availability.

12. Just a thought re ageing.
    Whilst I am sure that this will be good for a few years particularly en magnum.
    The VVF with which they are establishing a linked heritage has proven a shocking failure in terms of life expectancy.
    Personally I have never experienced a VVF that has delivered more than it did during the year or two post release.
    Now this may not be relevant to this new release, which I have yet to taste.
    But my gut instinct will be to enjoy this without looking towards a too distant horizon also factor in 2015 as a year.

James Gardner likes this.
  13. Ray, is 2002 VVF likely to be shot?

14. Edward, I had three bottles. First was very fine, and clear winner in a tasting dinner consisting of recent vintages of VVF and Salon. A couple of months later on the back of this I took a bottle to dinner expecting good things and it was tired and in a bad way. (This was a few years ago!) The last bottle was shared with some forumites at Noize who may want to comment and the general consensus it was better than we expected but not great. It was certainly drinkable so in between the previous two experiences. Frankly my feeling is that Bollinger Rose is a better wine in each of 1999, 2002, and 2004, with the single exceptional showing of 2002 VVF. All bottles of 2002 VVF were bought upon release by a very dependable merchant and well-stored thereafter, so provenance was not an issue.

Edward Bolland and Po-yu Sung like this.
  15. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Matthew's quote that Bollinger's goal was making "a BdN that was accessible (and scaleable)" is an interesting one, simply because it chimes quite closely with the philosophy behind the recent launch of Gosset 12 Year Old: both have fairly non-traditional names, both are at the premium end of the market circa £80 - £90, and both are I think trying to make very expensive Champagne more appealing to a broader range of people; certainly Gosset admitted "12 Year Old" sent out a signal to people who don't normally spend £90 on Champagne, because it rung a premium drinks bell via malt whisky. I don't suppose "VZ15" does anything like that in terms of the brand, but perhaps the wines occupy something like the same space nevertheless.

16. I was very luck to be there. It was served blind (as you might guess from Paul!) and we were guessing all over the place from a very well-stored 1990 to a good condition 1995.... I think Gareth finally got it right that it's a Bolly but we couldn't have thought it's a 2002 VVF.
    The nose was baked apple dominant, the palate was not old but also not like some fresher 2002. The main body of palate was clean but not super interesting. The general impression was that the grape must have been very, very ripen.

17. Bollinger releases until around 2018 = bottle variation, VVF was no different.

Ed,

Not necessarily shot, but it stands a good chance.

Thanks,

Steve

Edward Bolland likes this.
  18. Any view on the 06 VVF?

19. Paul, many thanks for your detailed reply.

20. Steve, thanks for that. Interestingly I have drunk a lot of 2002 GA and Rosé and all have been in fine fettle. I must have had some luck!

21. Indeed, sensitivity to oxidation can depend upon the particular disgorgement, so if you don't protect the wine correctly at disgorgement, then you will expose the wine further. It is the ultimate "crap shoot" (pun intended).

22. I’ve had a few LGA02 and they were fine but certainly on the “on the downslope” the 04s I love but wouldn’t buy any more Bolly 02. Drank my last one on Sunday.

A few of the notes and reviews make me think this wants a bit of time in bottle but depends how you like them I guess. The resident experts here will provide more insight once tasted. I’ll still give it a few years after taking one home for a sighter.

23. Mike,

When you have bottle variation it is impossible to predict the evolution of any bottle (until you open it). The Bollinger issues are a Champagne equivalent of Burgundy “premox”, and many of their Champagnes from the period I have simply given “NS” (not scored).

Cheers,

Steve

24. Hope not Ed.
    But as Paul has outlined it seems that a Clint Eastwood, “Do you feel lucky” might be the right stance.

25. Steve. Do you think there is any difference between the rose LGA and LGA on variation. Nearly every Rose I’ve had (from 3 or 4 sources) have been brilliant though one or two bottles weren’t quite as good out of the ones I’ve had so I’ve noticed some very mild variation.
    The two 2002s were in decent enough shape but had the same heavier oxidisation and ripe, bruised bitter elements and felt it was just getting past prime.
    My sample is relatively limited from 2002 - 2006 and mostly all 2004 rose and some 2005 rose. One bottle of the 08 LGA as a tester.

Are you also thinking they have improved or sorted their issues out and was it this early 2000 period that suffered the most ?

edit - just seen you have said up until 2018 releases so that’s the 07 onwards or 08 ?