NWR The "What are we listening to?" Thread

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Rod Smith, Jan 6, 2016.

1. I’ve had such fun playing the old singles. The one that surprised me most was Gudbuy t’Jane (Slade). I’d probably not played it since the 70s and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. I think it was an early effort.

2. David,
    I think I miss remembered my single cost me 4/6d or 5/3d
    your Slade single was I am sure post decimalization when they had leapt to 10 bob or more!

3. On my daily bike ride today having only recently compiled a playlist of All Songs.
    The haunting opening drumming of a track I had not heard in perhaps 30 years announced David Bowie's 5 Years.
    I felt a bit disturbed by it, but it seemed timely and appropriate to be reminded out of the blue about a great track.

4. Noddy Holder had a great voice. Cum on Feel the Noize a favourite in this house.

David Crossley likes this.
  5. Yes, either 45p or 50p. 50p was my pocket money at that time. I used to walk into the city (approx two miles) with my mate David White. We used to buy a single each (usually from Boots by then) and walk home. We couldn't afford a 45 and the bus fare. So many great singles...Roxy Music, Bowie, Elton John. Then one day Whitey had a Black Sabbath album and that was that.

6. I love 45's. I must have about 500. When my children were little a regular Friday afternoon activity was choosing a pile and then dancing around the house with them until exhaustion set in. Apart from buying new singles when they came out I also bough tons from second hand shops where you could go through piles of them and find gems and pick them up for 5 or 10p.
    I just stuck my hand into one of my 45 cases and pulled out one at random;

7. The very first musical purchase I ever made was of the 45rpm 'Mama, we're all crazee now' by Slade. You know where you are with Slade.

8. Thom, I am quite stunned by that revelation!

Charles Muttar likes this.
  9. If lack of pretention is a virtue then Noddy Holder is no Bob Dylan.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  10. Umm. End of the world times must be here when I listened to a completely new genre, prog(?), and enjoyed it. King Crimson Earthbound. Bad sound quality but almost free jazz energy. This was quite a journey away from my usual diet of Renaissance, Baroque and free jazz. :D

11. What an astonishing decade the 1970s was for music, in retrospect.

12. I also bought this!!

13. Depends what type of music you're talking about. It was essentially the death of jazz (thanks, Miles!), which only has been slowly recovering since the 1990s.

From an overall cultural perspective, I personally consider the 1970s the bleakest decade of the 20th century, maybe followed by the 1980s.

14. I think we've been here before on this discussion about the 70s! Since nearly everything else was bad, all the positive energy was channelled into music. It was outstanding and the decade where African-American roots music finally merged with mainstream pop in very exciting ways. Neal Martin posted a wonderful link on FB to Stevie Wonder playing Superstition live on Sesame Street in 1973 (sic). There you have it - the 1970s bottled up in 6+ minutes of pure joy (a quick search on Youtube will do the trick).

15. Radio 3 was excellent yesterday.

16. The latest Vikingur Olafsson CD is an intermingling of Debussy and Rameau, a rather fine combination from the man who is probably my most inspiring pianist at the moment.

17. You should watch Bad times at El Royale if you haven’t already. I won’t spoil it by saying any more.

18. This might be of interest to some:

"Dear Members and Friends of the Wagner Society of Washington DC!

Last week we presented our first webinar, my own talk about Lohengrin. The reception was very positive, so WSWDC will be presenting a number of additional broadcasts in the weeks ahead.

On May 7, at 7:30 pm Eastern Time, the concert pianist and eminent Wagner analyst, Maestro Jeffrey Swann, will be present a talk on the "Immolation Scene" from The Ring. This long scene, which brings The Ring to a close, is one of Wagner's immortal, and most complex, creations. As Brünnhilde takes center stage, she provides a kind of resolution to the events that have stricken the Gibichungs, the Rhine Daughters, her father, the great god Wotan, and her husband, the hero Siegfried. Her final act of self-sacrifice returns the Ring to the Rhine, clears away Valhalla, and redeems a future for a new world. The music rises monumentally to the occasion as never before.

Maestro Swann will illuminate his remarks with selections from the piano.

This webinar is free and open to all, but pre-registration is required.
    Click here to sign up: Welcome! You are invited to join a webinar: Jeffery Swann presents "The Immolation Scene from The Ring". After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the webinar.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

We look forward to your participation!

Jim Holman, Chairman
    Wagner Society of Washington DC

19. I can't seem to post the link!

20. Watched it about a year ago. What an enjoyable movie!

21. Hank Williams.