NWR The "What are we listening to?" Thread

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Rod Smith, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Thanks to forum advice I’ve been listening to Dixie Chicken, American Beauty and (currently) Live/Dead.

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  2. The Alan Parsons Project - Lucifer

Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  3. Lovely song.

Nigel Palesford likes this.
  4. I’ve been listening to some Crosby, as in So Far, which I have not played for at least twenty years. Lord knows why, it has many fine tracks.

As a consequence the “to play” pile has Long May You Run (Stills-Young Band) and American Stars & Bars (Young w/Crazy Horse).

I can recommend anyone who missed the BBC4 prog on John Lee Hooker last Friday night to check it out on iPlayer.

Peter Webb and Alan Smeaton like this.
  5. I got up at 4am this morning to participate in the ‘Dartmoor Demon’ sportive cycle ride, which rode off from Exeter Race Course (over 200 miles from N1) and which has two terrifying hills with gradients averaging 15% or more over a mile. I got through it, egged on by the surreal scenery.

Given that the incomparable Tony Blackburn with his Encyclopaedic knowledge of hits from the sixties came on later at 6am, I had to dig deep into my CD collection, and one interesting relic which turned up was Flash and the Pan.

Formed by Harry Vanda and George Young in Sydney in 1976 they had a hit with Hey St Peter, great song though the video is a bit dodgy.

Vanda and Young were ahead of their time, and were ripped off by Tim Rice, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus (of ABBA fame) with Murray Head’s One Night in Bangkok, which came much later in 1985.

George was the older brother and mentor of Malcolm and Angus who formed AC/DC. George and Malcolm both died in late 2017.

George also founded the Easybeats soon after the Young clan emigrated from Glasgow in June 1963 as a result of the previous winter. Stevie Wright the lead singer of the Easybeats has also passed away.

The Young family are a gifted dynasty now perhaps coming to its end. Angus is still up and running for AC/DC but Brian Johnson has a problem with his hearing. I can’t imagine why.

6. Long May You Run proved a great success and received two plays in two days.

Since then it has been full on Epic, Kamasi Washington’s first, which I only got round to buying recently, and Django and Grapelli’s Hot Club recordings.

7. I've been listening to the supremely talented Camille Bertault recently. However when I want to get moving in the morning you can't beat a bit of Lancashire Hotpots.
    I really do fear Ikea......

8. Heartbreaking.

9. Eric Burden & The Animals – Ring of Fire

10. A band that is new to me, but I cannot stop playing their new album. Such joyful music. This is from it:

11. The new Frank Carter (End of Suffering) is very good indeed, really rocks.

Anthony Taylor likes this.
  12. Chumbawamba – I Get Knocked Down

Murray Head – One Night in Bangkok

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  13. A bit of Elton John tonight having seen Rocket Man this afternoon. The film was actually very different from my expectations and I liked it a lot. Not sure I’d recommend it to my parents (some sex and a fair bit of drug taking, and “strong” language), but I may even see it again as my brother fancies it.

I thought Taron Egerton was believable as Elton. Even got a lot of the facial gestures right. But it’s not a biopic, and as the blurb says, it’s based on a true fantasy.

Nick Templeton likes this.
  14. Patty Moon - Under Water

15. UB40 - Red Red Wine

:)

16. Pink Floyd - Echoes

David Crossley likes this.
  17. Mönchsgrasmücke/ Blackcap

Tears for Fears - Mad World

Alan Michael Gay likes this.
  18. Black Peaches...

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  19. Would second David's recommendation for the new Frank Carter record. Superb. Vying with Kick by Dave Hause and We Need a New War by Craig Finn as my favourite this year. It finishes with this, which is a real gem IMHO

20. Elgar - Enigma Variations.