NWR The "What are we listening to?" Thread

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Rod Smith, Jan 6, 2016.

1. BBEFFFFF-37F5-4288-BC96-C9919E36DE95.jpeg This was a great choice before lunch.

2. I through VI all superb. The Master of dub: he shook the nation. Another ‘without John Peel’ etc etc

David Crossley likes this.
  3. Roxette - Fingertips

4. Decided to wind down for a Friday evening by listening to The Skids "Burning Cities" album, then "Warsaw" by Warsaw.

5. Been listening to a wonderful David Sylvian compilation 'A Victim of Stars'. I pretty much switched off after his first solo album - I wish I hadn't. Marvellous challenging music when he gets it right. Now Rickie Lee Jones' first album. I'd forgotten how good it is.

6. Ekseption - On Sunday They Will Kill The World

7. Anyone seen “Big Gold Dreams” (the story of Scottish Independent Music 1977-1989) yet? Looks rather good (for the most part). Think it’s out on 22 Feb.

Thing is, it’s five cds for about £40, good value, but the track listing I saw gives just the song titles. I recognise some but don’t have a clue about most of the 115 tracks listed.

It’s funny because I’ve been having a bit of a thing recently for a few of these bands. I’ve got some on 45, but a hell of a lot is effectively lost on cassette (as I intimated elsewhere).

8. The Undertones - My Perfect Cousin

9. Queens of the Stone Age - Go with the Flow

10. Mandolin Wind

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Mahmoud Ali and Rudi Finkler like this.
  11. Excellent evening with Glenn Tilbrook supporting Wilko Johnson. Two excellent sets with loads of old Squeeze numbers alongside Glenn’s solo material and then the customary excellent performance from Wilko with of course the inimitable Norman Watt Roy and Dylan Howe. It is always a good night out but you always wonder whether “Bye Bye Johnny” might be for the last time.

12. Collected my copy, today. Along with the new Sleaford Mods. And a old U-Roy.

13. A day of Talk Talk in memory of Mark Hollis. I love all of it, from the early synth pop (e.g Such a Shame and that A minor piano solo on Call in the Night Boy, culminating in that brilliant chromatic riff landing on B flat minor), up to their incredible atmospheric late period. Also some of the rare live concert stuff is amazing, Montreux 1986 in particular. Hot, sweaty, raw and intoxicating.

johnny Shek likes this.
  14. U- Roy. What a star you are.

15. I just got back from a month in New Zealand (fantastic!) and the new Yann Tiersen album was waiting for me as a consolation prize, and a reward for 23 hours in the air.

I thought that one reviewer was exaggerating when they said “It’s one of the most gorgeous pieces of music you’ll hear all year, and perhaps for a long time.”
    But no! I couldn’t agree more!

A breathtakingly beautiful record.

[​IMG]

16. My wife bought it last week. I loved his last cd but this is a little more expansive and merits all the accolades being thrown at it .

Breathtakingly beautiful indeed.

Rod Smith likes this.
  17. The Rapture - In the Grace of Your Love

18. I actually went to see Wilko, in Glasgow, on his farewell tour a few years ago, as he had decided not to proceed with further medical intervention. Unknown to me, until my pals pointed out, I was standing right next to Alex Kapranos for the duration of the gig. Bye Bye Johnny was quite emotional then, due to the circumstances and I'm sure most of the audience believed it really was Bye Bye. Fortunately he changed his mind about the treatment and has survived to do several tours since. I have seen him several times since (I keep threatening to take my ticket for the Farewell tour to get a refund, or at least get it signed by him :cool:).
    Anyway, while relieved he is keeping well enough to tour, we are now a bit fed up with listening to Bye Bye Johnny ;)

IMG_0069.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Mark Carrington and Peter Webb like this.
  19. You may even have it by now, David, but the retailer named after the south American river list all tracks and bands and it is £33.99

20. Tonight I shall be mainly listening to The Stranglers, supported by Dr Feelgood, at the Alhambra, Dunfermline. :cool:

IMG_0070.JPG

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  21. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

I think all forumites should buy a minimum of 10 copies each. Nobody will regret it.

22. I did 2 farewell gigs back in 2013 - including the final farewell at Koko in London. Never imagined would see them through into 2019.

Paul Anderson likes this.
  23. Thanks Paul. I don’t have it as I’ve been at my parents for several days, returning home later today, so thanks. I will try my local independent and be happy to pay a fiver more, assuming they have or can get it. But will def get it.

24. Driving along this morning & Anarchy in the UK popped up on my player. The song still retains the power to thrill.

25. Really like that. Never listened to them before.