Test Your Chablis Knowledge

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Paul Anderson, Jul 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Found this fun quiz. First two levels are OK (I got full marks on each one :)) but the 'expert' knowledge one was quite tricky (only managed 4/11 :().

Games - The wines of Chablis

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  2. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

6/6, 6/7, 6/11. Some of the last section near impossible - my 6 correct included two complete guesses :)

Paul Anderson likes this.
  3. 10/11 - I guessed that 80% was exported...

4. That's given away one wrong answer :rolleyes:

David Mansfield likes this.
  5. 5/5/5.
    Consistent :)

Ian Sutton and Paul Anderson like this.
  6. I think one of the answers in the beginner's section is wrong...
    I got 5/6, 3/7 and 10/11.

7. 6/5/5 with plenty of guesses, intelligent or otherwise!

8. 5,6,4 - fun!

9. 6/6
    6/7 (getting wrong one of those I was confident on, and lucking 2-3 guesses)
    Didn't try the expert level as I really would have been guessing - I do know very little about the region and have drunk relatively few bottles.

10. 6/5/6. Not bad I suppose.

11. 6/7/8 with some guesses in the last section.

12. The number of the beast

Gareth Powell and Ian Sutton like this.
  13. 6/7/10
    Got lost counting up communes.

Ian Sutton likes this.
  14. 6/5/5 - went with the wrong choice on several questions where I had narrowed the option down to two.

15. A steady decline - 6/5/4

16. 6/5/11

didnt know date of local Chablis fest and also carelessly clicked on the wrong river while perfectly well knowing the answer

17. Tom Cannavan

I did exactly the same - what a yawn

18. You're looking very serene?

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  19. Tom,
    There were two in that section that cased a pause for me.I was thinking about Aligote and Sparkling Chablis.
    I was gifted some of the latter at La Chablisienne about 20 years ago though can't for certain recall the complete labelling.
    What was your area of concern?

20. Tom Cannavan

Obviously there are lots of other wines made in the greater Chablis/Auxerrois region, including Aligote, Cremant, Irancy, St Bris, etc. but none of them are AOC Chablis which I think is a source of some confusion in this quiz - especially when it asks about sparkling wines and the percentage of red wine fron the region as far as I can recall. With a fair wind behind my guessing I would have scored 8 in the 3rd part of this, being thrown off the track by the wording of one question or second-guessing what they meant by another, but really at the level of questions in part 3, seriously expert and detailed knowledge was needed, which I lacked

Thom Blach and Raymond Tilney like this.
  21. So it was fairly split into beginner, intermediate and expert :)

I did find it through the home page so knew that the whole site was about Chablis AOC, so based my answers on that. Still, it showed I have a long way to go to be expert :p

22. Having explored it a bit more it is quite a useful site and has a good map of the vineyards and location of producers. There is also a section on restaurants and hotels which may come in handy as a stopover, coupled with a producer visit (or two).

23. Red wine, of which there is plenty, but Tom's explanation is clearly correct.

24. I have today seen on a local retailer list a Bourgogne rouge by Denis (Isabelle et Denis) Pommier. We really like their Chablis , so this is a must buy. I suspect it will result in disappointment, of course.

25. 6/7/5 My guessing was on fire today :)

Tom Cannavan likes this.