Supermarket promotions 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Muga Reserva Esp 15, Bosconia 07 and Contino 07 in the previous Waitrose sale. Bosconia drinking well now. The Muga has decades ahead of it and pretty much closed up at the moment but should be a great wine (the 14 is drinking much better at the moment, but still worth keeping). Haven't opened the Contino Blanco yet.

thanks for the feedback, Paul.
In fact upon checking the box, the tondonia was 06 and the Bosconia 08. Any ideas on their drinking window?
I had no intention of drinking the Muga yet, in fact really want the 14 as the Imperial 14 is lovely atm, but think 15 will be better in the end. Didn’t get imperial this time as Co op shows 09 at under £20 but I had a wasted journey this morning to local store.

Damn, didn't think to look for such!

Charles, there are lots of excellent sherries in the offer. Another one from Williams & Humbert is the Dos Cortados Palo Cortado, which is a steal at £14-odd for 50cl. And where else can you get the wonderful Gonzales Byass Apostoles, Matusalem and Noe for under £15 a half? (I only wish they did the Del Duque as well.)

They also have Henriques and Henriques 15 YO Verdelho and Blandy's 15 YO Bual at very keen prices.

The de Bortoli Old Boys 21 YO Tawny is good too.

In fact, the fortified wines are always the first ones I check in these Waitrose offers.

The range of English wines, especially sparkling, is however hugely reduced from what's normally on offer. There are usually 20 or more English fizzes available, including some very interesting and top-end stuff, whereas this time there's only a handful.

Recently had the classic cuvee Hattingley - not impressed. I think, though, that the English style of fizzy pink is lovely. Perhaps this accords with my other notion that English Pinot is better than English Chardonnay/Meunier.

I don't like the classic cuvee either, Alex, but its pink counterpart is definitely good.

thanks for the feedback, Paul.
In fact upon checking the box, the tondonia was 06 and the Bosconia 08. Any ideas on their drinking window?
I had no intention of drinking the Muga yet, in fact really want the 14 as the Imperial 14 is lovely atm, but think 15 will be better in the end. Didn’t get imperial this time as Co op shows 09 at under £20 but I had a wasted journey this morning to local store.

I haven't tried Tondonia '06 yet although it is probably a 'good' vintage rather than top notch. I have tried a few '05s in the past couple of years, but they are not on song at the moment. I should try a '06 as it may drink sooner. Interesting that the Bosconia is the '08 as I wasn't aware Waitrose was a regular stockist and just assumed that they had 'found' a parcel of the '07. Again '08 is more in the 'good vintage' area but, as long as they are good they useful for filling the gaps between great vintages.
The '14s I have tasted so far are going really well and you'd be correct to wait longer for the '15s as it looks like it will be worth it. I also have some Imperial Reserva '15s which I'll hang on to. I believe Waitrose also have the LRA Arana Reserva '11 which, at under £16 in the sale, is a great price. I'm a big fan of Arana Reserva and still have some '11s but also have some GR '12 from when it was 'upgraded'.
Although I'm not supposed to be buying more wine I did check out Waitrose and see they also have the Martelo Reserva '12 at £21 which is a very good price. I bought 6 last year at about £30 from a different source but still have 4 left so will give it a miss this time. It is also very good but more modern in style than the Tondonia or Imperial or Arana.Viña Real GR is another from the CVNE stable that is very good. I posted a note on '12 last weekend as it was excellent (and fortunately managed to track down 3 more bottles, as everyone seems to have moved on to the '13).
Given the quality of Rioja vintages since the outstanding '04 I would say that '13 is the only one to be wary of and there's plenty of choice to provide interesting tasting over the next 2 decades from all the other vintages.

Charles, there are lots of excellent sherries in the offer. Another one from Williams & Humbert is the Dos Cortados Palo Cortado, which is a steal at £14-odd for 50cl. And where else can you get the wonderful Gonzales Byass Apostoles, Matusalem and Noe for under £15 a half? (I only wish they did the Del Duque as well.)

They also have Henriques and Henriques 15 YO Verdelho and Blandy's 15 YO Bual at very keen prices.

The de Bortoli Old Boys 21 YO Tawny is good too.

In fact, the fortified wines are always the first ones I check in these Waitrose offers.

The range of English wines, especially sparkling, is however hugely reduced from what's normally on offer. There are usually 20 or more English fizzes available, including some very interesting and top-end stuff, whereas this time there's only a handful.

the Bortoli old boys is superb!

Status
Not open for further replies.