State of the Nation!

Discussion in 'The Beer Forum' started by Rob Lockwood, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Fabulous brewery IMO and their JHB is sensational too.

2. The own label Citra - and, even better, the Double Hopped Citra IPA - Oakham make for M&S are two of the best in that supermarket's estimable range. JHB might be my favourite British ale of all - but then I've been fortunate over the last 15 years in having 3 different locals where it is the house beer.

Prompted by Rob's original post, I've done a certain amount of empirical research in the name of science down the supermarkets over the Christmas holidays and was generally impressed both by the diversity and average standard - arguably better now than it's ever been? Favourite bottle by some distance was a new one on me - Badger's Cranborne Poacher - a pleasingly chocolate malty ruby ale with an intriguing tang of damson - like an old fashioned ESB but slightly drier and spicier

3. Is there an accurate website which might advise an interested party where JHB might be on tap in zone 1 (or elsewhere?)

Would be most handy!

4. Oaka at The Mansion House, 48 Kennington Park Lane is an Oakham tied pub and has a pretty full selection of their beers on tap and for take home.

Neil Holland likes this.
  5. The brewery will likely advise as well Neil, but you probably knew that ;)

Neil Holland likes this.
  6. Much more to Alan's taste will be tonight's Kernel Brewery Export Stout, London 1890, 6.8%.
    Rich,dark and malty with a hint of chocolate sweetness, a surprising match for a horribly inauthentic Pad Thai type beef stir fry with decent chilli poke.

Rob Lockwood likes this.