TN So how bad can Lindeman's Bin 65 be???

I'm delighted to say that it is the even better 1984. I have been awaiting a suitable moment to share it with fellow "riesling" lovers.

I wonder if it is better or worse than today's iteration? the price hasn't gone up in 36 years.
I shall be sampling the current vintage soon, with prawn cocktail and Black Forest gateau, both of which are delicious with a little care lavished upon them.

I doubt they add sugar to Bin 65. They probably add a little acid, powdered tannin, and stop the ferment with a little sugar still there.
Irrigated, high-yield, dilute grapes, hence no real flavour.
They're trying to make Pinot Gris with yellow colour.
Cheap PG is all the rage these days. And it's all got a bit of sugar in too.
You offer a neophyte a glass of decent dry riesling and they say "oh no, I don't like sweet wines."
And they're drinking commercial PG.
Channelling grandma's prejudices through a prism of ignorance. Yeesh.

What's the 1 for Richard!

Regarding Blue Nun, Michael Schuster used to regularly stick a bottle in to blind tastings in courses and for MW students - it invariably was rated and price pointed higher than it's lowly reputation. Including by me!

I wonder if it is better or worse than today's iteration? the price hasn't gone up in 36 years.
I shall be sampling the current vintage soon, with prawn cocktail and Black Forest gateau, both of which are delicious with a little care lavished upon them.

I agree on the dishes, especially Black Forest Gateau which is superb if done properly.

Very excited by the idea of black forest gateau with prawn cocktail topping.

I doubt they add sugar to Bin 65. They probably add a little acid, powdered tannin, and stop the ferment with a little sugar still there.
Irrigated, high-yield, dilute grapes, hence no real flavour.
They're trying to make Pinot Gris with yellow colour.
Cheap PG is all the rage these days. And it's all got a bit of sugar in too.
You offer a neophyte a glass of decent dry riesling and they say "oh no, I don't like sweet wines."
And they're drinking commercial PG.
Channelling grandma's prejudices through a prism of ignorance. Yeesh.
Graeme,

Interesting that you think they might add a bit of powdered tannin to a white. Would that be to give it a bit of grip or some sort of feel of substance in the mouth?

“Channelling grandma's prejudices through a prism of ignorance”. I think you may have provided me with a new platform to get elected. Ta.

I have seen the opinion expressed elsewhere that Bin 65 is far worse than it was. Charging the same price as 30 years ago must entail some corners being cut!
I've not had the Bin 65 in decades but based on Richard's note I'm certain it used to be far better. If I recall it was regularly cited by wine magazines as being a "best buy", the term QPR not yet au courant. Did I mention that I used to cook with it?

I don't think I've ever actually had Black Tower, now you mention it...
Speaking of Black Tower, it seems that I am not the only one with an old bottle. Here is a bottle I inherited from a friend of the family when she renovated her basement some years ago:

BlackTower1996-Front.jpg BlackTower1996-Back.jpg

Cheers .............................. Mahmoud.

I've not had the Bin 65 in decades but based on Richard's note I'm certain it used to be far better.

I see from my database that the last vintage I tasted was the 2001, and there are three notes for the 2000 vintage, all four notes written between 2001 and 2003. I consistenly scored it 86, so just worthy of a 'bronze' medal. From my memory that is what I thought of it at the time: simple and commercial, but well done. I don't recall tasting any more recent vintage strangely enough, and there are no notes in the database.

Bin 65 tasting Notes

I always viewed the admittedly dispiriting lakes of Liebfraumilch and suchlike wines as bland and inoffensive rather than throat-raspingly repellent.
I've not had the Bin 65 in decades but based on Richard's note I'm certain it used to be far better. If I recall it was regularly cited by wine magazines as being a "best buy", the term QPR not yet au courant. Did I mention that I used to cook with it?

Speaking of Black Tower, it seems that I am not the only one with an old bottle. Here is a bottle I inherited from a friend of the family when she renovated her basement some years ago:

View attachment 12714 View attachment 12715

Cheers .............................. Mahmoud.

It's a quality wine and there's a full litre of it, which means a third more quality than usual. What's not to like?

It sounds quite repulsive, Richard, thank you!
I feel I should return the favour-is there any widely available commercial tat about which you are mildly curious?
I have the feeling that chaptalisation is forbidden in Australia-if it leads to a taste of sugar in the finished wine it has been done very badly indeed!

Yes unfermented sugar is just, well, added sugar.