Sediment

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Dominic Sheppard, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Apologies if this has been covered already but I couldn’t find anything on search.

Just wondering if anybody has any tips to filter sediment? Maybe I’m hyper-sensitive but I find that even very fine sediment changes the mouthfeel & flavour so I like to avoid drinking it if possible. I always leave the bottle upright for at least a week which helps with the larger particles but I still find that I’m wasting at least a glass and sometimes more which is frustrating when it’s decent stuff!

I’ve tried unbleached coffee papers but they seem to have a massive impact on flavour and make the wine taste like cardboard to me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. I agree with you Dominic that sediment compromises the wine, but on the whole the best thing to do is to stand the bottle up for some time as you're doing and then decant off the sediment and just accept that a portion of the wine needs to be discarded. Muslin works OK to get rid of heavier sediment or broken cork, but it doesn't deal with fine suspended sediment.

3. Agreed on the muslin, but standing wines with fine sediment like Pinot Noir & nebbiolo is the right thing to do.

Those dregs can be very useful for stews etc.

Dominic Sheppard likes this.
  4. I use a glass wine decanting funnel that has a built in fine silica filter built in. I don't think the manufacturer (Eisch) makes them any more, but I suspect laboratories may well use similar products so something of that ilk should be available if one knows where to look. It works for all but the very finest of sediment and usually salvages most of the last glass that would otherwise be left in a claggy bottle.

5. I have one of the filters Simon refers to and it is excellent, however standing up for a week and sacrificing the last glass is probably your best solution.

6. Decanting cradles are actually quite useful for this problem.

7. It's interesting how sensitivity to sediment varies. Some people, including some of Burgundy's most famous producers, love drinking the sediment in the last glass at the end of a bottle.

8. Each to their own. However, I find that the sediment not only changes the flavour of the wine in a negative manner but also the texture.

9. On the odd occasion that I encounter a truly problematic bottle I put it through an aeropress with a metal filter. This usually captures everything and doesn't alter the flavour.

10. It's very vintage dependent in burgundy. Sometimes the sediment is completely unproblematic, sometimes ruinous.

11. Pristine clarity awaits those willing to indulge in brief use of a high powered centrifuge.

Stephen Pickles likes this.
  12. What are your top three burgundy vintages for sediment Tom :)?

Jonathan Budd likes this.
  13. And you get double bubble with Fourrier.

Nayan Gowda and Richard Zambuni like this.
  14. Salad spinner lined with muslin for a home solution?

15. I'm going to give that a go Matt.

16. I've got a nicely made stainless steel Rösle filter with a fine mesh. Works well

17. Tried that.......
    upload_2020-3-5_11-8-39.jpeg

18. That actually complements your tattoos, Paul

Jonathan Budd and Paul Anderson like this.
  19. Those who know me will know that t-shirt would never fit me :(

20. That's what my kitchen wall looked like the day i tried the Fourrier shake inside without the cork.

21. I have a two-part Screwpull wine funnel (AW-108) which uses a woven stainless steel Betamesh filter. It’s so fine in fact I still need to stand old bottles up for most of the sediment to fall around the punt otherwise the Betamesh becomes clogged & blocks on decanting. You can still buy these but are marketed/made by Le Creuset these days, assuming they are the same.

SCREWPULL-LO.jpg

22. Normal good vintages are fine, but the very warm or very cool can produce fairly toxic sediment, of which by far the best example is 1983 where many wines that are religiously cleared of sediment have been brilliant but when cloudy tend to taste strongly of rot. The sediments of 90, 92, 94 and 98 are to be avoided as well in my experience.

23. Yes, these are great, although as you say the slightest amount of very fine sediment will clog them in use!

24. I've not found that Screwpull funnel fine enough. Perhaps sediment passes through where funnel meets mesh.

Simon Grant likes this.
  25. Beautiful 'crema' with Lambrusco as well :D;)