Travel San Sebastián Wine Shops

The nearby town of Getaria produces most of the Txakoli you get in the bars in San Seb Under the Getaria Txakolina doc and I like it, not unlike a vinho verde I thought and great with tapas. However there is another Txakoli DOC towards Bilbao Called bizkaiko Txakolina which is a bit more serious and often sold with a year of bottle age rather than the DYA Getaria stuff. Worth looking out for in a restaurant by way of comparison.

I visited SS a good decade ago. I remember passing a wine shop on one of the street off the main square. It was shut but had some great looking bottles in the window. Not much help I realise.

Russell

I don't know what your taste is, but in my opinion Txakoli is dreadful. Thin, tart and short. That'll be the first wine offered to you, though.

I wouldn't waste time looking around for an acceptable one. Don't sacrifice yourself on the altar of local authenticity

I share your view about white rioja, Russell. But for my taste there are far better Spanish white wine options that would pair well with the local gastronomy.

If you like it, however, you'll find loads of bottlings you can't find anywhere else