Food Roasted Beetroot

Rather a reminder to myself to re-cook this classic from my recipe collection. Really such a long time that I made this dish. I strongly recommend it as a main dish or as a side dish.

Ingredients

1kg beetroot
200g fresh goat cheese
2-3 clove garlic with skin
2 bay leaves
3-5 sprigs thyme
good dash aceto balsamico
olive oil

Preparation

1. Wash and peel the beetroots

BB1.jpg

2. Quarter the beetroots

BB2.jpg

3. Put the quarters to an oven-proven form

BB3.jpg

4. Add olive oil, garlic with skin, bay leaves

BB4.jpg

5. Finally add thyme and then for 1h and 190C/374 F in the oven

BB5.jpg

6. Mix 2-3 time and add aceto balsamico after 30-45min.

BB6.jpg

7. Serve with fresh goat cheese on top. Finally add some Maldon salt and olive oil. ENJOY

BB7.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious, thanks Martin. Iberico, an excellent contemporary tapas restaurant in Nottingham, have a superb dish of roast beetroot, hung yoghurt and pickled shallots. I also love roast beetroot with mackerel and horseradish.

Those of us of a certain age remember when it was usually only encountered in its jarred and vinegared version, one of many traditional British foodstuffs which required a considerable sense of humour to appreciate. I do seem to have the reborn vegetable much too often in restaurants nowadays; like so many roots it is simply too sweet for me to enjoy.

Sparkling Shiraz isn't something I normally think of, though it has to be said that I quite like the more savoury examples, Seppelt's Original for example, especially with a some age. As for Lambrusco, I don't think there is anything available here other than the cheap, bulk producer stuff.

Might a new world Pinot do the trick?

Mahmoud.