Travel Provence/Languedoc-Rousillon tips

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Mark Priestley, May 21, 2019.

1. Thinking of a a road trip down to the South of France (either Provence or somewhere in the Languedoc-Rousillon area) in late June/early July. Possibly around the Bandol area for Provence and the Picpoul de Pinot area for the Languedoc-Rousillon although am open to other suggestions.

I've never visited this area of France so would welcome any tips from the forum of where to stay, places to visit, restaurants, wineries worth visiting?

I'd like to be on the coast or a short drive from it. Somewhere with some interesting areas to walk would also be welcome

Many Thanks

2. Cassis is a very pretty and classic place to stop and people-watch and lunch; and you can walk across the nearby Calanques - limestone cliffs that jut out to the sea.

3. Domaine de la Rectories, just behind the seafront in Banyuls, merits a visit. If nothing has changed, there should be a very warm welcome.

Uillaim Tait likes this.
  4. I would vaguely echo Mark's suggestion. If you're coming this far south, then it's worth staying in Collioure. Narbonne is also lovely; but I am biased, as we live there.

By "walking", do you mean sauntering or hiking? If you mean sashaying, then I would advise on Cap d'Agde...

Once you figure out where you will be, I'm sure the other recs will come flooding in.

5. Another vote for Collioure. A good combination of coast, vineyard, lovely scenery and Cathar castles.

Jonathan Hesford likes this.
  6. Lovely wines too. Must buy some more.

7. Collioure is the prettiest town on the Languedoc-Roussillon coast and has several good wineries nearby, nice coastal and hilly walks. It's pretty busy in mid summer though.

8. Collioure is one of my favourite places in Southern France but sadly it can get very busy in the school holidays. I seem to recall Bages and the surrounding area, near Narbonne, being rather pretty but it is a long time since I visited. Sete is an interesting working port with one of the best markets I've every seen in France-especially for fish obviously. Close to Cap d'Agde and other beach resorts as well. Nearer to Montpellier is the coastal fortress town of Aigues-Mortes-again gets busy in the summer and famous for its sea salt.

I seem to recall visiting a massive wine store in Montpellier many years ago which claimed to sell most of the wines of the region at prices the same, or thereabouts, as buying direct. A quick Google makes me think that is was the Maison des Vins du Languedoc (they have a comprehensive website). Certainly can pick a great cross section of the wines of the region from here.

9. Hi Ben, don't suppose you have any particular reccos for Cassis? I'm spending a long weekend there at the end of the month and could do with some gastronomic direction.
    Cheers, Will