NWR Panic buying - the saga continues...

Guardian had had a letter from a chap to say that on Monday his paper shop had only two copies of The Guardian, so he bought them both in case he couldn't get one later in week.

We are in Cape and have managed to get an earlier flight back home, but when we return we are supposed, because of our age, to self isolate for 12 weeks. So we tried to make an online delivery order - Waitrose website was overloaded yesterday so this morning managed to make order at 05:40 UK time- first delivery slot is 2 April.......

(Wine is the only thing we are not short of)

Peter, If you can’t get out due to self-isolation, but need cheese, give me a call at the Fleetville Larder and I can deliver! Ed

I was going to hold up in a remote part of west cost of Scotland from tomorrow, but my ferry has just been cancelled. I guess the good people of Knoydart don't want the virus brought in by the city folk.

It's a long walk in Jonathan, but doable. I guess the issue is that GP's and healthcare is spread thin up there, and I know that some of the flights to the islands are now only running for locals.

I was going to hold up in a remote part of west cost of Scotland from tomorrow, but my ferry has just been cancelled. I guess the good people of Knoydart don't want the virus brought in by the city folk.

Ferries ARE still running for now, to the normal timetable on most routes (maybe not yours), but only on a turn up and go basis - new bookings are suspended until July 15th as they cannot guarantee to function if staff shortages continue to rise. That may change of course.

Having mostly joy in cancelling hotels and car hire for our abandoned Californian trip, even those booked on non-refundable, non-cancellable rates. Two independent hotels, and very pricy ones at that in Santa Barbara and Palm Springs, were my biggest concern, but they refunded and confirmed almost immediately. A couple of others booked via bookings.com are being more sticky. The big chains (Hilton, Marriot, Westin) already have flexibile policies in place. Only about £400 down at the moment, but those are ongoing cases.

Some of the best smoked salmon and smoked haddock in the UK delivered safely this morning...View attachment 10633

We may be running low on plenty of things, but at We have a little bit of luxury secured there.
I visited Alfred Enderby 5 years ago when I first retired, when he still owned it. I had a personal tour. It’s opposite
Where the haddock is auctioned. I brought 6 boxes home for family and friends.
indeed I have two boxes arriving in Suffolk next week. It was taken over by a chap called Patrick Salmon two years ago.
It is without doubt amongst the finest available. Cannot be recommended enough.

I think "tracing paper" was vital to my education. Anyone who had to use the stuff, will also remember that with no interweb, the sum total of knowledge in the average primary school was an Encyclopedia Britannica and a few other reference books. Any written project work needed tracings of diagrams and pictures, the loo paper was vital for this. It also enabled me to copy plans for balsa aircraft :) It led to many happy hours with wood,tissue paper, dope and glue.

I visited Alfred Enderby 5 years ago when I first retired, when he still owned it. I had a personal tour. It’s opposite
Where the haddock is auctioned. I brought 6 boxes home for family and friends.
indeed I have two boxes arriving in Suffolk next week. It was taken over by a chap called Patrick Salmon two years ago.
It is without doubt amongst the finest available. Cannot be recommended enough.

Yes, I was introduced to it by my Aunt as she lives nearby. She had gone on a tour as she knew Patrick (I believe he used to work for her first Husband who ran a grain merchant). When she served it to me I was so impressed - It is truly excellent.

Never mind panic buying there seems to be a certain degree of effort being exercised by wine merchants to encourage sales in terms of offers etc in these uncertain times.

Last edited:
I think "tracing paper" was vital to my education. Anyone who had to use the stuff, will also remember that with no interweb, the sum total of knowledge in the average primary school was an Encyclopedia Britannica and a few other reference books. Any written project work needed tracings of diagrams and pictures, the loo paper was vital for this. It also enabled me to copy plans for balsa aircraft :) It led to many happy hours with wood,tissue paper, dope and glue.
I have two words to say: off-set copier.

I have managed not to panic buy anything except Tarquin's Cornish ‘The SeaDog' Navy Gin (57%) when Ocado had their 50%off sales bringing it down to £21 a bottle. Of course, now the Ocado website is suspended so you’re buggered.