Ooni Pizza Ovens

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Richard Ward, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Which semolina? the domestic variety is a waste of space but the Caputo variety in particular I find indispensable.

2. I use an aluminium peel with a liberal sprinkling of Caputo flour. I suspect rice flour might be even better. I tend to agree with Richard that minimal time on the peel is quite important. I always give the pizza a bit of a shake on the peel after assembly to make sure it’s not going to stick before I get it anywhere near the stone, the theory being that if it moves freely on the peel ten seconds before I intend to put it on the stone it will definitely move when I do.

I have no idea what a wooden peel would do, but can’t see why it would make any difference either way.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  3. Thanks all. More flour then! :)

4. Well I bought the book... Certain members of the family think I'm mad ('why on earth do you need a book about making pizza?'). A batch of 70% hydration dough is in the fridge awaiting lunchtime tomorrow.

5. I haven't followed the entire thread but have been making pizzas regularly during the shelter-in-place period as well as over the past couple of years. I'm not using an ooni but a Kalamazoo gas grill, which heats up to 700F. I had read somewhere that a wooden peel works best for the pie before it's cooked (with some corn meal on the wooden peel before the pie is placed on it) and then a metal peel to remove the cooked pizza. The two different peels are based on the texture on the bottom of the peel before and after. I have made dozens of pizzas using that suggestion, and it works great. Neither peel is effective consistently for the opposite task (in my experience).

6. Things have gone a little quiet on this post, but I hope I might get some advice.
    Has anyone a recommendation for a 30 cms cast Iron skillet with either no handle or a pair of handling "ears"
    I have been trying out many of the suggestions including the cooking method using the grill which Thom shared.
    My oven grill will go to 300c plus with the door closed that has proven too much for my SKK titanium frying pan with a removable handle that I have been using.
    I have seen cast iron skillets from the little green egg BBQ brand, but they are pretty pricey and the devil's own job to get dimension details, and Judge products seem out of stock everywhere.
    I have looked into Petromax cast Iron fire skillets and they seem to do a 35cm diameter which would have a base large enough to do a 10" pizza which is what we try to achieve. Image attached
    Nisbitts the catering suppliers list several sizzler plates but I am unsure they would work as well as a pan/skillet.
    Has anyone got any suggestions or recommendations?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  7. Tom,
    Thank you for some suggestions for me to follow up.
    I am wondering wether the thickness of cast iron is material to the result?
    I am not much of a cook so I am very much learning on the hoof.

8. Raymond Tilney likes this.
  9. I suspect it does. De buyer pans are all of a decent thickness (which is why I suspect it wouldn't actually make a decent paella pan) but not to the extent of a proper cast iron pan.

Edit: A quick measure of my Lodge and De Buyer pans, the De Buyers are all around 3mm whilst the Lodge 5-6mm, so it'll add up to a significant different in heat capacity.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  10. You could have a look at Netherton Foundry.

Raymond Tilney likes this.
  11. Thom,
    In my post “Judge” was me misremembering Lodge, so I am pleased I was on the right track.
    As you highlight shipping is more than the goods as all European distribution seems out of stock.

12. Just to thank everyone for their help.
    I now have a Petromax cast iron 35 cms fire skillet with double handles En route to me.
    Wether it is lockdown or whatever it seemed that every time I researched a given model or brand by the time I went back stock had gone.
    So I hit the button on what seemed to be the last available choice.
    I need to get it quickly as Debbi has developed a pizza habit for ones cooked in the manner described, and my old friend the SKK pan is going back to the makers in Germany for a factory re finish.
    This is a photo of the closest I have gotten to a shareable outcome....
    82BB4C55-8D31-40C2-AF75-787AFD7A25CD.jpeg

13. 20200620_185154.jpg 20200620_184445.jpg 20200620_183704.jpg
    Made these in the Kettle Pizza this evening. Old School Naples dough at 60% hydration from Mastering Pizza courtesy of Mark P.

I really enjoyed this dough. Easy to work with, a crisp base and a rewarding, chewy texture. May try something closer to 70% next time.

Attached Files:

14. P.S. i am still crap at shaping the perfect circular base but on the plus side I may have stumbled upon the perfect pizza wine - Podere 72 San Lazzaro Rosso Piceno Superiore, a 50/50 montepulciano/sangiovese blend which was smooth and sunny with the most endearing profile of cherry, licorice and sous-bois. Although very versatile, it paired especially well with the sausage and fennel topping.

15. I have persuaded my kids that they really want to try a daddy home-cooked pizza. Best dough recipe for the frying pan under the grill method?

16. Mix flour with 65-70% of its weight in water depending on the protein content, 0.25% of its weight in instant dried yeast and 1.8% salt. Leave until risen(don't overdo it), stretching and folding a few times at intervals. It is really very much better after a couple of days in the fridge. Take out of the fridge and ball it well in advance to ensure extensibility.
    Currently I particularly like Polish Poznanska flour at 65%, inauthentic though it may be.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Nick Amis likes this.
  17. Getting the hang of our Ooni Frya, in terms of temperature, cook time and technique, and the dough. We tried the basin Ooni recipe and it was ok, but very wet and difficult to handle. Soughdough was ok, but we didn’t like the flavour as much, so back to the Ooni with a little less hydration. 00 flour was good yesterday, but tonight’s made with normal strong white was a winner for everyone. Easier to handle too. Just need to get a wider paddle so we don’t need to make rectangular pizza!

64580E9F-FC5B-4B0E-AE7F-94EFF80B470C.jpeg

18. Simon,
    I made a couple using the Caputo red 00 flour but found the results a bit less authentic in texture when compared to strong bread flour.
    I let the bread machine make my dough so I thought that was the reason strong flour worked better.
    Perhaps though there may be more to it than just the Caputo not suiting my bread machine dough making.

A snap of last nights effort toppings chosen by Debbi and needed the firmer mozzarella as this soft stuff puddled a bit, edges got a bit caught but base texture was pleasing
    717F593F-0D68-4C02-9AB2-A1FD3CE3A2FA.jpeg

19. IIRC Caputo red is designed for the very high heat of professional ovens.
    I think your mozzarella looks as it should, I don't think it should colour or leak its fat, but you can drain the cut mozzarella on kitchen towels for a while.

20. B48BFC3E-D36B-4623-A1B7-809FF5E53A54.jpeg

My partner and I have really enjoyed experimenting with frying pan pizzas. This was attempt no. 3, the first made with actual 00 flour. They’re so tasty that I’m even considering ditching my long-held dream of building a pizza oven...