Ooni Pizza Ovens

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Richard Ward, Oct 13, 2019.

1. 9F124A15-898D-4004-B0A8-222FDDE5DD66.jpeg 56C9AEBB-67A9-4806-A260-87EDF4315EB8.jpeg

On a pizza stone in my gas powered Weber on Saturday evening. It’s a bit of a beast. Temperature is reputedly 380C. Cooks in about four minutes or so. I don’t really time them as I’m so petrified of them burning......

HRH is looking for a wood fired pizza oven for the back of the garden. I suggested a gas powered Ooni, but she has been looking at the Morsø Forno as it provides a full blown wood or charcoal fired alternative to the Weber. Anyone got one of those?

2. I used our weber pizza stone on our gas weber for the first time this weekend. It worked a treat. Used a Richard Bertinett (yeast) pizza dough recipe which was really good as well. Cooked it at a lower temp than yours Mark (about 400F) so took about 9 mins to cook. Would you recommend the higher temp Mark?

Next to try, a sourdough pizza recipe.

3. I’ve never really tried to cook at a lower temperature Andrew, as I’ve always followed the idea (without any great thought tbh) that pros cook pizza as fast as possible at a ridiculously high temperature and therefore so should I.

The only difficulty that I’ve encountered is that by the time I get to the third pizza the stone can be too hot and it’s certainly not easy to cool them down..

I solved the problem by getting a second peel which means I can have a second ready to go the moment I take the previous one off. I can then prepare the third in the few minutes whilst the second is cooking. Three pizzas in ten or twelve minutes and the stone can’t get too hot in that time.

I do however do them as sourdough as a matter of course, so I can tell you that it works! The ones above are sourdough.

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  4. They look fantastic, Mark.

I am sorely tempted by an outdoor oven, but not sure I can really justify it. I think I will procure a decent sized skillet and try the super heated pan method to try and get more competent with pizza first I think. I’ve been doing them on a pizza stone in the oven and been having some issues with sticking etc. Tried a small one for the little ‘un on the back of my steak griddle pad the other day and it came out quite well.

5. As Ian says, surprisingly little. I wanted to get it up to temperature for pizza and naan breads and ensure it would maintain a good temperature for brownies (and one of my sons slipped in some banana bread) before it started to cool very gradually whilst cooking the lamb etc. I would say I used a generous wheelbarrow load which is probably quite a lot if you have to buy it from your local petrol station but nothing if, like me, you had a branch of a walnut tree come down a year or so ago. There are some things which living in the sticks is good for: plentiful supplies of wood for cooking and country walks during lockdown!

Leon Marks and Ian Sutton like this.
  6. I can highly recommend the book mastering pizza

7. Mark - having had your pizzas a few times I think that you will get quite marginal gains by having say an extra 70 degrees C to play with.

I too am tempted by a pizza oven but the results from my Weber - which is not as powerful as yours and so only gets to 340-350 - are so satisfactory that I’m finding it hard to justify. I think I’d use it a LOT less if I had to light a fire each time, rather than flick a switch. But maybe I’m just lazy.

Mark Palmer and Thom Blach like this.
  8. My Kamado thing does make extremely good pizzas, but the downsides are that you burn a ton of charcoal to get it up to heat, and the super-high temperatures do shorten the lifetime of the gaskets substantially. So, given that it looks like we'll be spending a large amount of this summer sitting in our own garden, I've bitten the bullet and ordered a gas-fired Koda - the new larger version, because size is obviously everything.

Ian Russell and Krishan Roopun like this.
  9. It's the amount of fuel burnt that puts me off such things, which obviously doesn't apply when catering for larger numbers; and with a young family it seems like a very smart idea indeed.

10. Thanks Ian,

On order.

Ian Russell likes this.
  11. Bryan ordering the biggest he can find? Shock news, who’d have thought it

12. With reference to wood use when I say little I mean just that. The first long slow burn of the year dries it out but takes 6-8 hours and a lot of TLC. After that it lights with ease. 3 medium logs in a n shape. Some newspaper, a couple of those wax infused wood shaving fire lighters, a handful of kindling criss crossed, maybe 6 smallish logs then 3-4 bigger logs and it is good to go. From start to finish the fire is ready in 30-45 mins depending how hot you want it. Don’t get me wrong you can pile the fuel in but then it gets stupidly hot, off the scale on the laser temperature gadget. Too hot you struggle to cook even using a long peel and insulated gloves. Pizza burns on the crust very easily. I like to cook hot but not too hot. Recent experimentation with less heat produced worse pizzas. Obviously if a hungry bunch of forumites have drunk their way through your Sparkling Shiraz and Henschke you use more wood! First world problems

13. Based on my initial impression of my regular Koda, I don't think you'll regret it. Owning the previous pizza oven means I know what I'm doing with dough and the peel, so I hit the ground running. Key things seem to be a) leaving it 20mins minimum for the stone to heat through (otherwise you get a beautiful top but a doughey bottom) and b) not taking your eyes off the cooking pizza for even a second. But as long as you are competent using a peel to insert and adjust/manoevre it really is so user friendly.

Bryan Collins likes this.
  14. High wind is clearly a non starter for an Ooni, but having learned that lesson I won't make the mistake of even trying again. I guess that also depends on how exposed your garden is (mine is very).

15. Ian, what is the temperature reading when you start cooking?

16. Thanks Mark.

17. I haven’t checked it this year. Previously 500c maybe more. It is so fierce it’s difficult to stand closer than a foot from the door when it’s really fired up. I’m trying to ease it back a bit to 400-450 I guess. I will report back in due course

18. That's blistering!!

19. That's why I cook so many other things when I fire up the oven. We had lasagne for lunch today reheated from yesterday's efforts and tomorrow it will be tandoori chicken with naan. Meanwhile, my children are enjoying brownies. At this rate, I'll be having another session at the weekend!

Thom Blach likes this.
  20. Just christened the Ooni Koda 16. Dough is 62% hydration 00-based sourdough; sauce is much-reduced Corbara tomato passata with half a puréed onion, garlic, oregano and a couple of teaspoons of harissa just to help it along a bit and to ensure I do my part in upsetting the Neapolitans. Results solid rather than spectacular, but I know a few things to tweak next time. Still a very pleasant lunch al fresco.

2020-04-26 12.20.12 small.jpg

2020-04-26 12.37.19 small.jpg

2020-04-26 12.48.17 small.jpg

2020-04-26 13.01.38 small.jpg

21. Bryan,
    They look pretty good debuts for a new device
    Healthy appetites remain then...... or are you skimming some to the neighbours:)

22. Can I suggest not reducing the passata at all next time, Bryan? the oven will certainly do that!

23. Interesting, Tom - I did this because I've had issues in the past with too much liquid on the top of the pizza, and the first one this time was similar, so I actually gave the remainder of the sauce a quick sieve before cooking the next one. Perhaps I'm just putting too much sauce on (I'm trying to be reasonably parsimonious...)

24. Fair enough, Bryan. I use lowly Cirio passata rustica and I find it by no means too liquid but my improvised heat probably comes more from above. In Naples they used drained tinned tomatoes crushed with the hand with no further cooking.
    It does seem to me that people here want their pizze extremely brown and crisp!

25. I too have fiddled around with various version of tomato sauce for pizza.

The latest is to drain a tin of tomatoes through a sieve and get rid of the juices (these are then kept and used as the basis for simple tomato sauce for pasta at lunch during the week) and put the tomatoes into the food processor with a little dried oregano, salt and pepper and a smidge of olive oil. Whizz until a purée. Surprisingly it works