Ooni Pizza Ovens

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Richard Ward, Oct 13, 2019.

1. So my Aldi pizza oven has died (metal all warped from repeated heating/cooling - I guess that's why they were cheap...), and I am considering an Ooni oven as a replacement/upgrade.

Does anyone have experience of these? Or any better suggestions?

Building a proper pizza oven is not an option.

Ian Russell likes this.
  2. Oh, they've changed their name! Used to be Uuni.

A friend of mine has the Ooni Koda (gas), and cooked pizzas for a group of eight of us a couple of weeks ago. I must say I was very very impressed - results were pretty much indistinguishable from very expensive wood-fired ovens, and just as fast. The downside is the size - it's strictly one pizza at a time - but if that's not an issue then it's a no-brainer.

Antti Jokinen and Richard Ward like this.
  3. Koda is the gas version, right? How do they taste?

If I do get one, I'm undecided between wood pellet or gas versions.

4. I haven't tasted pizzas from the wood pellet version but the gas ones were seriously good. I wouldn't have had any idea they weren't from a wood oven. I suspect most of the flavour of a wood-fired pizza is down to the high temperature rather than the cooking medium, and the Koda gets to 500+ Celsius.

Richard Zambuni and Richard Ward like this.
  5. Thanks Bryan.

6. They look seriously cool!

Edit: Or should I say hot...

7. Has anyone tried the Chadwick oven? I'm intrigued, but not enough to spend £500.

8. Martin Z posted on these a couple of years back...

9. I searched "Ooni" and nothing came up. Just realised posts were made under the old name "Uuni". Seen them now.

10. A nearby deli does a Friday pizza night using a wood-fired Uuni and the results are superb. The owner swears by them.
    I can't really justify the space so bought an aftermarket gadget for my Weber kettle called Kettle Pizza. I can get the stone up to 450C and the results have generally been pretty good. The only complaint is that I have to rotate the pizza halfway through for it to cook evenly. Not sure if this is necessary on proper pizza ovens.
    Wessex Mill do an excellent pizza flour which I believe contains a small amount of semolina. 2019-07-08 17.53.51.jpg 2019-07-08 17.37.47.jpg 2019-07-08 17.35.04.jpg

11. We have the Maximus pizza oven - we are so incredibly happy with with it....

Very high temperature... stone base.....about £350....oooh just noticed the price has shot up to £650.....

Probably because it is light, can be moved and is great quality. We are very happy with it

12. I have a Koda in France. A friend has the pellet version. The Koda is considerably better, not far off the wood-fired brick oven we have here. One thing: it takes a few pizzas to get the stone properly seasoned to get the authentic flavour.

13. I would say that any pizza oven needs a proper base and dont underestimate how long it takes to properly warm it up - just because the oven itself is 400c doesn't mean the base itself is ready..... We find through experience that 45 minutes of hardcore heating creates a decnet base stone temperature..... of course, your pizza will cook in 40 seconds...but it will be cooked both upwards and downwards.....

A sloppy base is a crime

14. Our friends bought an Ooni wood pellet-fired pizza oven in the summer is delighted with the results. 450°C and pizzas ready within a minute, so only being able to cook one at a time isn't much of a limitation.

15. Can you cook anything else in them?

16. I feel like I have a garage full of pizza type additions to grills etc it would have been cheaper just to build one, i did build a clay one once.

I've got the uuni 3 i think it is , wood pellet and I've also got the gas attachment.

the issue from my point of view is that these are not open and use products, there is definitely a technique and given the space constraints a lot of burnt pizza initially, especially if you are at the 400 - 500 degree range. If you have the time and inclination to play with then then you can get great results but if you just want to cook a couple of pizzas on a Friday it is a faff. (hence the gas addition to see if that simplified it)

I think it works best for groups when you have a ton of dough and toppings and the odd burnt one can be discarded, but very annoying when you make 2 and one burns, which happens very, very quickly but not an issue isolated to ooni.

I suspect with a bigger one this would be less of an issue.

Thom Blach likes this.
  17. I finally got round to purchasing an Ooni, which was delivered yesterday - went for the gas fired Koda in the end, just for ease of use (with apparently no negative impact on flavour, compared to wood chips). It will be very easily portable should I ever wish, though it slightly longer than I expected meaning it doesn't easily fit into a utility room cupboard (Vicki not happy about this). Now I just have to wait a couple of months until the weather is good enough to actually use it!

Thanks again to everyone for the various recco's and bits of advice.

18. True for pizzerie as well. Best to avoid turning up just as they're opening. Give it a good 30 mins to let the oven properly heat up.

Antti Jokinen likes this.
  19. Whenever I want to understand people who cannot understand why I'd spend more money on bottles of wine than them, I turn to a wine-pages thread on pizza ovens. I love pizza, I applaud the dedication to the craft, but cannot myself envisage spending that much time, effort and money in cooking some pizzas! :D

Though just to be clear, I'm very open to practical arguments in the other direction!

20. Pizza is much cheaper than wine, even when you factor in building an oven. It is also an extraordinary crowd pleaser.

21. If you are talking purely financial terms, I suspect it will pay for itself in a couple of years worth of garden pizza parties compared to BBQs, the cost of pizza ingredients being significantly cheaper than buying a load of meat. And, as Thom says, a novelty for people and a crowd pleaser.

22. Most importantly for me, I absolutely love proper pizza, and it cannot be recreated in a domestic oven.

23. Really awfully tempting. The trouble is knowing where to stop when it comes to catering equipment, I've always craved one of those Doner spits and a tandoor as well, not to mention a duck press.