Online tasting, any interest?

I'm joining a zoom tasting tomorrow night. It will be my first time on zoom. I say "joining"...I'll merely be looking in because I think the idea is that you will be opening a number (six I think) of wines, and I'm not going to do that. But the added bonus is that the winemakers will be on the call to interact with. People like Matthiasson (though not sure whether Steve himself), so it should be interesting. Especially to see how many take part. The merchant/importer is Nekter, but I say that for info only...I'm not trying to get people to join, and I think the cutoff was noon today in any case.

Well I never drink at home Mon-Thur. saying that after a week at home with working and having home schooling of two 7yo boys to deal with ive had to open the Fourrier 2014 GC VV
It’s pretty good though initially I’m finding it hard to pinpoint a few elements so if anyone opens one tonight please provide your thoughts and notes as I don’t drink much burgundy. For a village wine it’s doing pretty well though not getting much on nose at all, cherry and some spice and bitterness, almost salty. A fair bit of a finish to it
Possibly not ideally paired to a lamb tagine but most of the bottle has gone by the time I’ve finished it and before it’s warmed up.
Feels bit light in middle but quite punchy on the finish. Says 13% alcohol but feels like might be a touch more.

I’ve opened one tonight too. Bit disappointing. Finding it a bit skinny and too acidic. Think it’s probably too young. I had a 2011 last year which was way more enjoyable.

Simon, thanks.

I opened my last bottle of three: Fourrier Griotte-Chambertin 1998.
Bright, pale colour. Good nose and elegant balance. Round, seamless finish. But it does not entice on the nose like the very best Griottes. Fourrier is even better these days even though this 1998 was a step up in its time.

Bought untied from Howard Ripley at £29 IB per bottle in May 2000. I have kept only a few old catalogues for old times' sake, and this was one.
It has my scrawl ... "x3" which is what I was planning to buy and did actually buy. This was a "filler" (i.e., something you didn't really want, but just to help get the things you really wanted). :) It was quite reasonably priced even then: Dugat's Griotte 1998 was £70 IB in the same list. Leroy Musigny 1998 was £240.The oddest listing is perhaps La Tache 1974 in jeroboam for £305.

IMG_0736.JPG

Thanks for joining Paul, it was good to have a nice wine chat tonight.
I opened a Fourrier Gevrey VV 2010 which I decanted for around an hour and it was pretty open by then, there was plenty of earthy Gevrey fruit and a lovely balancing acidity, no shaking needed thankfully

that list is quite something, almost unbelievable from today’s view

I’ve opened one tonight too. Bit disappointing. Finding it a bit skinny and too acidic. Think it’s probably too young. I had a 2011 last year which was way more enjoyable.
That’s interesting. I did drink mine a little too chilled but thought it had something about it but had a few odd elements and bits sticking out,
Yes seemed bit thin in middle and finish was decent but showing alcohol and maybe the acidity helped knock that out of whack a little also.the wife left half of her glass so I tried it this morning and was better cold. Finish bit more spikey and sour which is from the acidity as you suggest.
I didn’t decant or shake. Nose was very subdued. Do these lower end wines take a long time to come around ?

No, Mike; it could be that it has started to close, other vintages have at this age; but they do generally need a shake even when there is no obvious spritz.

I don't fine 2014 particularly charming and am planning to leave mine until they mature. Don't have huge experience of every vintage, but it might be the last one I'd open at the moment. Do others have a different view?

No, Mike; it could be that it has started to close, other vintages have at this age; but they do generally need a shake even when there is no obvious spritz.
Great to know thanks, that does explain the lack of nose and sort of dulled palate - I think it could be pretty decent though considering. My other 6 are in storage with TWS and there they will remain for a while - Just had this as a "sighter" Don't really drink much Burgundy as most of its 2015 - 18 and not in huge numbers.

Great to know thanks, that does explain the lack of nose and sort of dulled palate - I think it could be pretty decent though considering. My other 6 are in storage with TWS and there they will remain for a while - Just had this as a "sighter" Don't really drink much Burgundy as most of its 2015 - 18 and not in huge numbers.

Corked at a low level?