Midweek Wines 13-16th July 2020

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Mahmoud Ali, Jul 14, 2020.

1. It was on your recommendation that I tried it Tom - thanks. The only reason I'd overlooked it is that it is actually hard to find.

2. The wines are fully priced EP though as I recall? Usually at the very top end.

Stefan Bogdanski likes this.
  3. 2017 Bedrock Wine Co. North Coast Syrah

An entry level offering which affirms probably my most (personally) surprising conclusion about the wine here in CA - it is an almost perfect environment for Syrah. Black pepper, bloody, inky deliciousness. Even for a crap vintage it's quite remarkable. Obviously Morgan @ Bedrock is quite the winemaker but the purity here is just astounding. It delivers so much for so little.

4. They are fiendishly expensive & not really worth pursuing. Honest.

Stefan Bogdanski and Alex Hills like this.
  5. First visit to our local pub last night and chose this bottle priced at £42 which I thought was decent value at around x2 markup. Good choice too.

72551068-7E59-4EA1-BD8C-844544D2CF2A.jpeg

6. Nice one, Richard. It’s the best - although as Thom says they have reduced the alcohol compared to the good old days. Lea and Sandeman stock it

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  7. By the way, you mentioned Tio Pepe en rama. How would you compare it to Inocente?

8. My experience of really quite a lot of bottles from 1993-2001 has been that the best have been glorious but that there was far too much bottle/cork variation. I imagine that that has now been dealt with but they are too expensive for me now.

9. It's perhaps not a completely fair comparison in like-to-like wine style, but I'd put Tio Pepe en rama a nose ahead (2020 bottling that is).

10. Tio Pepe En Rama is perhaps closer to the 'natural' end of things:D.

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  11. Thanks Richard! I didn’t quite see what the fuss was about the first time I tried it, but that might have been because I was comparing it to the intensity of Inocente. I’ll keep an eye out

12. It’s a very close-run thing Tim. The Tio Pepe en rama has slightly more fresh putty and linseed oil notes on the nose and just a tad more depth. The purity and outstanding balance of the Inocente is really just as good, just different in style. We’re spoiled for choice - both are top notch.

Tom Grande likes this.
  13. I've had a few 98&9s and have also found them a touch variable, although no downright flawed bottles. This was my first 2000s bottle. Likewise currently out of my price range but I'm very glad indeed to have a little stockpile.

14. 17809B79-C9F1-44A3-81D6-B84EA8594362.jpeg

2004 de Vogüé BB tonight.
    The colour is not as evolved as the photo would make it seem. A clean nose with scents of orange blossom and limes. Mature White burgundy Is what you get on the palate, but certainly not oxidised. More citrus notes then some nuttiness, with a nice streak of acidity on the finish. Perhaps slightly past its peak but a fine burgundy still.

15. This is now sold as a Grand Cru rather than BB.

16. With a price tag to match many a Montrachet.

David Mansfield likes this.

17. A postscript: last night I tried the half of so of Pavillon 2005 that had been left in the fridge loosely stoppered. The wine has improved not inconsiderably. It has freshened up, the tanins are finer and there’s real depth and a certain classiness that revealed themselves. Quite a surprise to me!

18. We have been in France for the last week and have drunk well.

We have drunk quite a few excellent bottles of champagne since our night in Reims, including two from Paul Bara, Le Mesnil BdB, Phillipponat 1522 zero dosage and RH Coutier.

A highlight was our dinner at La Pyramide last Sunday where we drank:

Chateau Grillet 2005 - this wine is still very light and unevolved looking. Light and deft. Fresh herbs, mineral, acacia, honeyed, white flowers and white pepper and spices. Really outstanding.

Chave Hermitage (rouge) 2010 - already approachable and providing enormous pleasure. It is epic, intense and layered, but at the same time has exquisite poise and finesse. It has the whole panoply of red, black and blue fruits, spices and mineral aromas which go on for an eternity. Reminds me of the 1990 at a similar age but even better?

On Tuesday we had Leoville Lascases 1996 which is nicely evolved, more so than Leoville Barton, less structured and full-bodied than one might expect it has medium acidity and the accent here is on poise and exquisite balance. It still has many years to go however.

On Wednesday night we had the Conseillante tasting, see separate thread.

23BF52D2-86A9-45A3-802A-925C8F5CA789.jpeg

On Thursday we drank Chateau Latour 1994 with seabass baked in crusted salt. It was a surprisingly good match. Like the LLC the Latour is well into its drinking window but still in the early years of its plateau of maturity. Not a flashy wine, it has mellowed a bit and has the Latour signature; it gets better and better with each glass.

It was difficult to choose between this the LLC and the bottle of La Conseillante 1998.

Last night again with fish, this time turbot, Faiveley Chambertin Clos are Beze 1989, a wine picked up at auction recently, which was beautifully resolved but in the open air restaurant its divine aromas were occasionally compromised by cigarette smoke and the much more egregious whiff of perfume. Despite these challenges this was a very fine bottle which rose admirably to the occasion.

CA605622-DDCB-428C-AC70-82D6FE4C6F70.jpeg
    Photos by MEK

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  19. How was the food at La Pyramide, Ian? and did you see the list of cellar treasures?

20. BDDA118D-E824-4774-9A45-B6A866741924.jpeg Continuing the Rose in such fine weather. Very enjoyable and huge value for money given it’s 6 euros at the winery. A halbtrocken spatburgunder.

followed this evening by a 2017 Domaine de la Cote - blooms field Pinot. Not ready yet but superb. Light, powerful and soft enough with 4 hrs decant. Very approachable and will be fascinated to see how they are when I bring the case from storage in a good few years time.

Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  21. I think you would say it is comfortably Michelin standard Thom but MEK’s dishes - razor clam salad and pigeon - were more inspiring than my hunks of hommard and Cote de Boeuf, as recommended by the waitress.

The wine list was not as extensive as we had hoped. Because of Covid the wine list was passed around more sparingly, and one hand to spray one’s hands before touching it. They take Covid seriously here. There were few older, fully mature wines on the list. We focused just on the rhone. Seems like the list has been plundered over the years. Our wines really chose themselves. The Chave was a fraction of UK retail, if you can find it. The overall experience was memorable. The hotel is immaculate and breakfast in the garden was a treat.

Razor clam salad - superbe

20269CCA-25EB-4761-974C-CB41A41B6537.jpeg

Lobster starter a snip at 105 euros

DF4865D1-FFF3-4020-8EE6-FB1CA77BE72D.jpeg

Pigeon main

9DC63048-FADC-47C3-B60F-0242E2A1579C.jpeg

Testing Chateau Grillet

B6E517E8-A735-4754-8FA0-7EA9272B24E3.jpeg

Chave 2010 a genuine bargain for 357 euros

331A17A5-C24A-49D0-9A02-625DF53EFC6A.jpeg

Breakfast pastries dans le jardin

00B1429E-0C9A-4D76-8C3E-738C87E75932.jpeg

22. Starting on Vollenweider 2019s, will report back.

8D2F16A0-DD20-44FA-BA29-A3C588BCBB41.jpeg

Well for me the clear ‘sweet spot’ is the Spatlese.

Kabi is rounded yellow fruits, not a lean green one (which is how I generally like them) this is atypical a bit for here. But a lovely stoney finish.

Spatlese is much more vibrant and nervy. Again the yellow fruit profile but everything is turned up. A hint of botrytis, creamier but also tangy. Excellent.

Auslese, again the same yellow profile, richer and more supple texture though. Not much sweeter than the Spatlese but certainly richer texture.

Saved the GK for another day.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Nick Amis and Mark Carrington like this.
  23. Russell, did you order direct from Daniel?

24. Do you happen to know if the trocken has emerged yet?