Midweek Wines 13-16th July 2020

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Mahmoud Ali, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Monday night here in Edmonton and after an evening of running shiggy trails in the river valley that runs through the city and drinking a couple of beers we went home and settled down to dinner, steaks sliced from a cross rib roast served with roasted bell peppers and potatoes. I decided to open a 2000 Patric Lesec Vacqueyras. "Grandy" (13.5%)
    LesecGrandy2000.jpg
    I decanted it and cooled it in the fridge for about a half hour. The color was brick red with a terracotta rim so it had clearly moved along, however despite it being almost 20 years old, it was remarkably vital, edgy, with dark skinned cherry fruit, mineral-edged, almost like iron filings, and still fresh. With time it got "sweeter" and slightly more perfumed.
    LesecGrandy2000.jpg
    This is the third aged Patric Lesec wine that I have been impressed with.

Cheers ............................. Mahmoud.

2. A 2018 Pinot Noir from Weingut Roterfaden was really juicy. Velvet fruit and just 11% from a young couple in Swabia (only around 30km from Stuttgart). I've tasted their whole range more or less before, but this is the first bottle I've bought to drink at home. For pure joy and simple pleasures in the best sense, it was glorious.

1EBED2C1-869D-45E2-B4A0-CD2DCA9DF0B1.jpeg

3. Sounds lovely, Mahmood. I love those older s Rhone wines when they are like that. Often they are not that grand either.

Charles Muttar and Mahmoud Ali like this.
  4. 2018 Coteaux du Loir, Pascal Janvier.
    He's a Jasnieres grower, so I was expecting something fairly severe. Nothing could have been further. Really joyous, vivacious, hard-to-put-the-cork-back stuff.
    I'm assuming it's Chenin Blanc, no details on the label. It reminded me initially of Knewitz' Holzfass Chardonnay, with a hint of Chassagne-Montrachet generosity, and maybe a really fine Alsace Pinot Blanc. But nothing like any Vouvray, Jasnieres or Savennieres I've tasted. Perfect with cold roast beef and various salads.

IMG_20200714_131922549.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  5. A rather guilty pleasure - I picked up a 1 litre bottle of Sainsbury's Red vermouth for £5.... just sipping that with some ice and a slice of orange. Perfectly quaffable in a Madrid-vermut-bar-with-tapas kind of way (apart from this is an Italian vermouth)

6. South West wines nothing fancy. Honest stuff.
    D8D4A82C-4B43-4143-9290-433F92D959CC.jpeg

Graham Harvey and Mahmoud Ali like this.
  7. Wolfer Goldgrube, Kabinett 2019, Vollenweider very light green, a small amount of spritz. Lime cordial and even gooseberries on opening, with some floral notes. Clean and light, some more lime with some tight acidity but balanced by underlying sweetness. Excellent length. The acidity stays in the middle of the tongue for a long time giving the impression of a high-quality lozenge. On the second day the lime cordial might be a bit more green-apple than gooseberries. The minerality typical in the aftertaste of this wine is well hidden beneath the refreshing acidity.

Wolfer Goldgrube, Kabinett 2018, Vollenweider a little more olive in colour compared the '19, much more spritz and reduction on the nose as well as some richer tones, perhaps some honey and almonds but still a tangy promise overall and quite restrained for the vintage. Rounder than the 19, with zesty acidity under the sugar and reduction and a long mineral follow through typical of the site. On the second day reduction still there. Some marzipan notes and perhaps some pear where the '19 was more apple. A rounder wine.

Both excellent examples of what Daniel makes and it really is a joy to drink them: a skilled wine maker, lovely old vines and a great site. Most importantly, they are exactly what I look for in Mosel Kabinett.

I purposefully opened the two side by side, because they both come from hot vintages and the chalk-and-cheese reviews in MFW - gushing over the '19 while damning with faint praise the '18 - piqued my interest. So here's my 2c.

The two wines are a little different, it would be quite easy to tell them apart in a blind tasting, for example. Is one better than the other? As Kermit says, better for what? If you wanted a wine for a picnic by the river, some cheese, crusty bread etc, then '19 is the one. If on the other hand you were having a more formal meal, say chicken with a mushroom sauce or roast pork-loin with apple, then you'd go for the '18 every time. In fact, on balance, I can see how one might prefer to have more of the '18 in the cellar. So I'm a little bemused to see the usually restrained and reliable MFW team show quite this level of enthusiasm for the '19. Such a shame that the Howard Ripley tasting can't take place this year so we could all tell for ourselves what's what with all the '19s.

In the end it is reassuring that in the Mosel it's possible to continue to make wonderful wines in such solaire conditions as long as you have the skills. Great stuff, Daniel!

8. I've been enjoying Janvier's wines here in California for a number of years. Delightful and inexpensive. Don't miss his Pineau d'Aunis if you can find it.

Charles Muttar likes this.
  9. I tasted & purchased some '18 last year. This year there is no opportunity to taste before buying, so I played safe & opted for the spätlese.
    Daniel is a highly skilled artisan & authentic good guy.

Charles Muttar likes this.
  10. Very interesting observations Stefan, and a reminder to us all about how vintage variation isn't that important when a skilled winemaker is at play and, equally important, when and how we drink the wines.

Cheers ......................... Mahmoud.

11. Last night had El Gran Enemigo 2009 from Casa Vigil, Mendoza. This was the blend rather than one of the single vineyard Wines. Served with a herb crusted rack of lamb, puréed sweet potato and sautéed spinach, this was very enjoyable. Is a few years since I had the last one of these, it has transformed into a very elegant wine, the tannins, which were previously ideal for a grilled steak, are still present but now very soft and fully integrated. Notes of black fruit, a hint of stewed fruit perhaps, it has good length, with the 14.5% abv nicely balanced. Wish I had more of these.

12. First restaurant meal since March for lunch yesterday. I brought along 2 bottles I had already started with Coravin (it is a place where they know me and my strange ways....) as there were only 3 of us and one was driving.

JM Bolliot Rully 1er Meix Cadot 2010 - this is really incredibly concentrated and high acid. I really liked it very much, and would have assumed it was something rather grander, although it definitely wasn't user-friendly white burg.

Clavelier V-R Brulees 2005 - had my first glass of this around Easter and had got through about half the bottle since. Now with the cork out in some ways it seemed younger and denser: quite a lot of tar on the nose. I wouldn't call it closed, but there is quite a long way to go, and it will always be on the structured, powerful, end of things I reckon. Proper wine, though, no doubt.

So nice to spend 3 hours eating food I haven't cooked myself, in the presence of other people, in a beautiful setting, and with lovely wine. Phew.

13. Keller Riesling "von der Fels" 2018 - 12% abv; 35€ (ouch! double what it costs in Germany!)
    Ok, this is pretty good stuff. I was afraid, remembering the summer temperatures in Germany, that this would be soft, fruity and very possibly disjointed by excessive fruit and inadequate acidity - I was essentially expecting a 2003 clone. Instead it was intense, properly acidic and, I must be hallucinating, elegant. Elegant is not a word I tend to use with hot year wines. Or do I just misremember when the heatwave hit Germany? Was it not 2018 where the 40 Celsius mark was broken? Anyway, buy again? Nope. Not at Finnish prices. At German prices, where this could be found for under 20€ I would buy more.

14. Thanks for the note. I took a punt on a case of this at £20 a bottle earlier this week. Apparently the wine lasts a long time although I am not sure if it improves. What do you think?

15. I’ve just finished a bottle of Valdespino Fino Inocente. Strangely, I’d never tried this before. This has to be at the forefront of standard fino sherry. More depth than Tio Pepe and more elegance than La Ina. More expensive than Tio Pepe Fino en rama though.

16. Friends down and they brought a bottle of Haut Bages Liberal 2009. They wanted to share with me as I'd suggested they buy some 2009's back at EP time and they purchased four different cases on the recommendation of their local merchant Lea and Sandeman. A really lovely wine. Still a little young but entering a beautiful drinking phase so much so that I think I need to start exploring my 2009s.

17. Yes a pretty good wine. The 12 blend I’ve had a bit of and drinking well now but they age also. The 12 single vineyard Cab Franc is still not ready really though the 11 is drinking very well indeed. I ended up getting a case of the 11 as grew impatient on the 12.

18. Branaire Ducru 2005 is a wine with quite a bit of class, rather elegant and nicely woven tanins, this bottle just entering its period of being open. Pavillon Margaux is not nearly as classy as one might expect given the exaggerated claims made for second wines, lacks elegance and has rather, to my taste at least, slightly coarse tanins. There’s certainly very little pleasure in drinking it. (Croix de Beaucaillou 2005 however gives a lot right now).

I’m sure it is possible that I’m just drinking the Pavillon too young and that it’ll resolve - but I look at notes on cellartracker which praise this wine and ask have you actually drink any good claret?!

Ben Coffman and Ian Sinnott like this.
  19. Haven't had this recently - I used to buy it at Lea and Sandman when visiting La Trompette...
    Trying to cut down on wine purchases but I may have to order a 6-pack soon.

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  20. Still my favourite. Not quite what it was though in the slimmed down modern version.

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  21. Ventured back to 67PM last night... I'd forgotten what a proper night out feels like the day afterwards. Definitely enjoyed myself though!
    • 2009 Michel Gonet Champagne Coeur de Mesnil Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru - France, Champagne (7/14/2020)
      Delicious balance between marmitey yeast and refreshing lemon. Crisp and enjoyable. Keen to try again. (93 pts.)
    • 2016 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/14/2020)
      Attractive floral nose, with hints of kerosene, but somewhat underpowered on the palate - pleasant enough, but not a great deal of impact, let alone excitement. (89 pts.)
    • 2017 Lavantureux Freres Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (7/14/2020)
      I very much enjoyed this wine on its own, with its appealing balance between a slightly oaky and tropical nose and more typically 'Chablis' citrus and mineral influenced palate, but it was somewhat overpowered by the oysters we had with it. Good wine, but not great. (91 pts.)
    • 2017 Staglin Family Chardonnay Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (7/14/2020)
      Really enjoyed this - plenty of richness, but the oak wasn't too blatant and the depth of flavour was a delightful match for lobster in a creamy sauce. (91 pts.)
    • 2002 Domaine Jean Grivot Chambolle-Musigny La Combe d'Orveau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (7/14/2020)
      Wonderful on the nose, a lovely melange of fruit and spice, but fairly lean on the palate - more acidity than fruit, although it became less strident with air and food. Suspect this is around peak, although no hurry to drink. (92 pts.)
    • 2016 Benjamin Leroux Vougeot Clos du Village - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vougeot (7/14/2020)
      This didn't shine as much as when I first tried it, seeming a bit young and oaky by comparison with the 2002 1er cru that preceded it. There's still plenty to enjoy though, with tons of silky fruit but no sense of ponderousness. (91 pts.)
    • 2008 Domaine des Lambrays Clos des Lambrays - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos des Lambrays Grand Cru (7/14/2020)
      This felt surprisingly mature, but not advanced. Rich, gamey, well-balanced. (92 pts.)
    • 2014 Henri Magnien Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (7/14/2020)
      Typical 2014 - cool, restrained, mineral. Really clean and drinkable with some attractive dark fruit. (91 pts.)
    • 2016 Uvas Felices Vinos de Madrid El Hombre Bala - Spain, Madrid, Vinos de Madrid (7/14/2020)
      Not particularly interesting, and paled by comparison to a 'new wave' South African Grenache I had recently, lacking any of its ethereal delicacy. (88 pts.)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  22. Clavelier is a producer I can never quite understand why is not more sought after, I own but haven't tried the Combe d'Orveau but have had really fantastic experiences with the Nuits Aux Cras and VR Brulees.

Alex Hills likes this.
  23. You certainly don't much around when you have a night out Nick

24. Long may iit remain so.

Mahmoud Ali and Alex Jagger like this.
  25. +1

Alex Jagger likes this.