Majestic closures and migration to Naked

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alan Smeaton, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Does anyone know what the plans are for Majestic wholesale arm?

2. Just had a chat with someone in the know. MWW is not merging with Naked and is close to being sold. There are around 16 to 20 stores that will close. Most are in areas where there are more than one store and had been earmarked as at risk prior to the story emerging in the press.

3. So where does that leave Rowan Gormley, head of MWW but now being sold off? Back to head up Naked wines, or an obscene payout for achieving nothing of value in Majestic?

4. What do you reckon ian???

Jonathan, I wonder if the sites being sold off happen to have the greatest development potential....

5. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

I don't think Jonathan's info changes anything: the financial statement last week made it clear that Naked Wines was the brand Rowan Gormley was taking forward as it had 'the most potential', and that they were divesting Majestic and looking for a buyer for the whole Majestic business: stores for sure, but I think their trade business too, as he highlighted that as one of their growth areas that should interest potential buyers. I think his colours have been firmly nailed to the Naked Wines mast for some time...

Ian Sutton likes this.
  6. I'm sure that will be high up the list of criteria.