Majestic closures and migration to Naked

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alan Smeaton, Mar 25, 2019.

1. I've some P & a M, with YC '17 pending at £35 all in from someone AB & a V. Then again the en Remilly '16 wasn't far short of the £50 barrier. Fortunately, there is another source in Burgundy where some '17 hopefully will be set aside on release next month & should be quite a bit cheaper. Though if sterling slides......

David Crossley and Ian Sinnott like this.
  2. I think both Oddbins and Majestic did us all a favour by educating a generation (or two?) of the wine trade.

Who is doing that now, I wonder? I might be wrong, but my impression is that independent merchants are not investing in that aspect of the business to quite the same extent.

3. [QUOTEI think both Oddbins and Majestic did us all a favour by educating a generation (or two?) of the wine trade.

Who is doing that now, I wonder? I might be wrong, but my impression is that independent merchants are not investing in that aspect of the business to quite the same extent.][/QUOTE]
    Does that link in to the move to online shopping and the infrequency of F2F contact? Difficult to educate just via a website and no opportunities to taste.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Steve Slatcher likes this.
  4. I've been told by my man on the inside that even relatively senior staff were given no advance warning before the public announcement.

5. that's no surprise either.

6. In the trade it was often remarked that Majestic was a highly successful property company that happened to sell a bit of wine.......

7. Good article here from former Standard journalist Andrew Neather:
    Tumblr

8. In London there are plenty better of opportunities, but sadly the rest of the country is generally let down, I suspect. Some good indies in Cambridge I know and the odd bright spots (eg Solent Cellars in Lymington)

Jonathan Hesford likes this.
  9. Three decent merchants in West Dorset. Nothing in South Dorset, though.

10. I wonder if the demise of Oddbins and Majestic might actually help the truly independent merchants? I think the nature of retail does seem to be changing and becoming more about the experience (,man,) and perhaps they would be able to flourish.

Jonathan Hesford likes this.
  11. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Rowan Gormley speaking to The Drinks Business:

“People will shop online if they want convenience, and if they come in store they want an experience,” he told db.

“That means a 3,000 sq. ft. warehouses piled to the roof filled with wine ain’t [sic] the future – but the people in those stores [are]. I firmly believe face-to-face has an important future, and to deliver that you need the right people.

“People inside the stores have an important future; four walls and a roof, not necessarily,” he said.

12. A kiosk and a laptop

13. I have to admit that I'm struggling to understand that.

Surely if you don't have four walls and a roof, you don't have a store in which people can have their experience?

14. A new chain of alfresco wine stores (or maybe round shops?) awaits.

Or maybe they could go around in vans like mobile libraries?

Andrew Stevenson likes this.
  15. Tom Cannavan

He makes reference to "pop-up" shops....

16. Here comes the Liebfraumilch man!

17. It's a shame for me that their stores will disappear as I do enjoy visiting my local branch. A very important shop in my wine life. I purchased my 1st full case from the Swindon branch. 1983 Lacoste Borie £59 for the case. Loved Oddbins too, but the price they charge in the few remaining stores is OTT. However as a customer my purchases have become less and less over the last say 5 years so I guess i'm partly responsible for these pending store closures.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  18. Tom Cannavan

Yes, I'm sure a lot of us feel that slight sense of nostalgia, even a tinge of guilt over Majestic and Oddbins (as well as Woolworth's, Maplin, etc., etc.) but I don't think we are entirely to blame! :)

19. In recent years I've really only used Majestic as a pick-up point for wine from Lay and Wheeler - every time I've done that I've had a look round the store in case anything aroused my interest but, sadly, nothing usually did...

20. Exactly!

21. I’ve been trying to “unsubscribe” to receiving emails from Majestic and so far, at least on my phone, I’ve been unable to categorically do so, unless the unticking of a few marketing preferences is effective. Most sites confirm that one has unsubscribed, but nothing from ugly naked guy (the Friends reference seems quite apt to me).

charles morgan likes this.
  22. Prepare for the deluge David!

23. Tom Cannavan

A friend of mine subscribed to french company Chateauonline in 1998 and has been trying to unsubscribe ever since. I suppose it's nice to have a hobby.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  24. Same with me, except from my laptop so I can only assume they are doing it deliberately. The Emperor's new clothing store has failed completely to do so. I popped into Majestic Gerrards Cross the other day for some beer, and despite the lovely and helpful staff I saw not a thing that took my fancy. It is dead to me now.

David Crossley likes this.
  25. Aha! They're going for the Pieroth model and, presumably, the Pieroth market.

Mahmoud Ali likes this.