Food Lockdown Loaves

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Bryan Collins, Mar 20, 2020.

1. I’ll try it next time. At least I’ll have something to benchmark against!

2. Bakery Bits seem to be much more on the ball now.

Ordered 5kg of French T170 Wholemeal Rye and a couple of other bits on Saturday morning. Quoted 8-10 day delivery. Arrived this morning.

Might have a crack at a Dr Russell’s Borodinsky soon!

3. I'm pretty sure that we keen bakers now mostly have domestic stocks very considerably in excess of what we have ever previously contemplated....

Sean Chiang likes this.
  4. Given the choice of 16kg of bread flour or none at all.....5kg of rye or none at all....

I’m looking on the bright side. It gives the chance to have a crack at things that I wouldn’t ordinarily have contemplated. Wholemeal loaves, Borodinsky’s, Spelt and 100% whites.

Thanks to Ian Russell I now have a very good book on pizza making.

Just hoping I don’t develop a gluten intolerance any time soon.....

Thom Blach likes this.
  5. Mark,

The "00" Molina Marino organic flour from Bakery bits makes excellent pizza. Just ordered another 5kg bag.

6. I may just happen to have a couple of kilos of that.....

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  7. Mark I love the balance of science, story telling and recipes in the pizza book. I haven’t made many yet but I’m prompted to order some of that 00 flour from bakery bits. Their a Canadian white bread flour has certainly upped my game.

Borodinsky style breads are very easy to make with the exception of the dough itself which is rather sticky and needs to be coaxed in to the tin. I would advise using parchment paper to line the tin. It’s other beauty is it lends itself to the addition of so many things, sunflower/pumpkin/chia/flax seeds or fennel seeds or caraway seeds etc etc. It makes a great accompaniment to those soft runny cheeses Courtyard dairy and others sell!

Mark Palmer likes this.
  8. Couple of oval bannetons ordered from Bakery Bits, plus some flours I’ve had trouble getting, so looking forward to some better shaped loaves! Thanks for the tip, Mark.

9. BE3E5F04-919D-4039-95EF-461048DEC695.jpeg Was given this flour so gave it a go with my starter. 75% hydration, which felt too high as some weight must be in seeds which won’t absorb any water. Came together reasonably well in both shapings and happy with the result.

10. I quite like it. He’s a bit evangelical for me but some might prefer to think of it as inspirational...

I do like the scientific side of things and it does give a lot of explanation of the different elements of breads (and not just pizza as you might expect) and the effect not only of the ingredients, but really clear explanations of how they act and interact with each other according to the various techniques being used.

Plenty of really nice topping ideas too.

Thanks for the recommendation.

11. Is the book being referred to "Mastering Pizza: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pizza, Focaccia, and Calzone" by by Marc Vetri?

12. Any thoughts on semolina flour for the pizza base? I bought some semola "rimacinata" and also "decorticata" which seems to be a larger size meal than the rimacinata, but the bases I made using each of these alone resulted in a very firm crust. I quite liked it, but was surprised at its toughness and think my family would be less keen, so blended it 50:50 with white flour for the next one.

13. I don't much like bread dough made with semolina, it doesn't have much lift. On the other hand it is almost indispensable as a lubricant when stretching pizza dough.

14. I have a lot of lubricant then!

15. Yes the book is mastering pizza

G. W o l f f likes this.
  16. Yes.

G. W o l f f likes this.
  17. Make some of the eggless pastas of Southern Italy, straightforward and enjoyable.

G. W o l f f likes this.
  18. I've never tried making my own pasta, but have been p-curious for some time now, so this sounds like the perfect opportunity

19. Yesterday's effort, about 40% rye, 60% white, roughly 75% hydration (I made a series of errors with calculations and had to correct volumes, so these are all approximations this time). Salt held back for an hour or so.

20200508_072403.jpg 20200508_102558.jpg

I am continuing to use the larger volume of starter now (200g starter for 500g new flour). Prior to the last loaf or so, I had been using 100g starter for some reason. No discernible difference in crumb structure, but a massive improvement in flavour.

20. Does anyone have a recipe for this type of Pasta? I have many recipes for egg pasta but not one of my cookery books have one for eggless. I know its just flour and water, but what's the best flour and in what quantities?

21. Couple of questions for the experts here:
    Working out hydration %- I’m calculating it by adding the 50g of flour in my starter to the 500g in the bowl and aiming for 75% hydration, taking away the 50g of water in my starter from 412.50g (75% of 550) leaving me with 362.5g to add. Is this the correct method?
    Different starters for different loaves. I think Mark P said that he’s made different starters using a tiny amount of one type to have a number of starter types. I’ve compromised by just feeding the starter with roughly the type/proportions of the flour I’m about to use. Is this good enough or should we all have several types of starter on the go? Thanks in advance.

22. Yes and yes.

Easy peasy....

23. Indeed! Thanks Mark.

24. Semolina flour, necessarily Italian. You need a bit less than half its weight in water, it should be quite dry and needs plenty of kneading. The easiest shapes are maltagliati, fregnacce etc,gnocchetti ,cavatelli and the like, and trofie,pici and orecchiette are only a bit more difficult.

Andrew Blunsden and G. W o l f f like this.
  25. I've got a sourdough loaf just shaped and in the proving basket. Usually my final mix ends up being 75g rye (from the levain), 550g strong white. This time I fed the levain with 100% strong white, rather than a 50:50 white rye mix, so the only rye left is the 15g from the original starter. So it's 15/610 rather than 75/550. The difference in working the dough is remarkable. It's as though I've upped the hydration 7-8%. I suppose it shouldn't be a big surprise given how much water rye absorbs but still... Will be interesting to see how the bread comes out tomorrow.