TN La Grande Annee Rose 2012

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Matthew Hemming, Jul 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM.

1. Following the recent discussions on the thread about PNVZ15, I thought there might be interest in this one, too.

Quite a deep salmon pink. This leads with dramatic red fruit aromas, very ripe, with summer pudding notes. A perfume and flavours of wild strawberries are followed by a bone dry and authoritative palate profile that is extremely vinous and has an inner richness. Turns floral on the mid-palate, with a rose character, spice from the oak and even a touch of mint. Has weight, sweetness and volume yet finishes almost bracingly dry, with chalky cut, and a lingering floral scent. 95/100.

Cheers,
    Matthew

Alex Jagger and Nick Amis like this.
  2. Matthew,
    Thank you for the note.
    Sounds like another winner in the current roll Bolly seems to be on.
    And whilst perhaps no harm to enjoy now I would be pretty confident about ageing these for a while ?....not that we shall be able to keep our hands off them!

3. An interesting one, Ray.

Based on all the reports of the Rose being the safest cellar bet from Bollinger in recent years, and also the structure I found in the wine, I'd be for cellaring this for 5-8 as a minimum. For a contrary view Richard Juhlin it pretty much yesterday!

Raymond Tilney likes this.
  4. Yes I did buy some given I’m a huge fan of the 2004 and funnily enough bought another case the night before this was released. Interesting to see how I find “bracingly dry” but the other elements sound very much my sort of pink champagne. I’ll be keeping some for the long haul as well.

5. I found several cases of the 04 to be distinctly hard/ungenerous last year. Then again, I’ve never found an aged rose to work for me.

6. That’s interesting as I’ve found them pretty rounded and very drinkable, quite rich with a good drying finish but I like those sort of elements and may not be typical.
    Are you in Ray’s camp of drink them pretty young.?
    I must open a bottle this week as a refresher.

7. indeed, drink them young would be my view but they’re too expensive to do that. If I’m paying that much for a wine I want it to be able to develop complexity with age whilst retaining it’s fruity joie de vivre. I’m just not finding that with roses - seems to be one or t’other.

8. The window for enjoying rosé champagne is perhaps the must elusive butterfly in the wine world.
    It is made all the more difficult by the recent changes in closures, dosage, jetting etc.
    But it does seem that many “experts” now accept that the rosé version of even the elite cuvées is at the pinnacle of what Champagne can offer.
    As a reference I would sight Tom Stevenson’s comments over the last decade and the endless listings and competitions(not that they carry much weight) that have Cristal Rosé as the worlds top champagne.
    It is not unusual to also find the likes of DP where the pinkie can outperform the brut .
    In the case of Bolly Since 1995 the only LGA that Springs to mind where I would choose the brut over the GAR is 08, and that is because they ain’t released the rosé yet!
    It seems the Bollinger 12’s may be another case in point.

9. 1985 Veuve Rosé is really my only reference point for a mature pinkie to have hit jackpot.
    Often they just go a bit rusty and end up like a potentially great champagne that someone has piddled about with.
    Krug Rosé with bottle age often exhibits this tendency better than most.

10. Edit to add:
    I have high hopes though for Roederer 2008 Rosé in magnum, and I have a dear friend of this parish who I know has some:)

11. Metzendorf seem to recently be strutting it out to the ITB... Interesting, not the usual whiff this side! :)

12. '16 base Arnould Fleur Rose' knocks it out of the park! :p

13. Only found a single bottle at a Wimps table :) very good it was too.

14. Sorry to derail a 2012 thread but did try a 2004 tonight and I get what Dan says as the finish is dry and almost a sense of bitterness but not that of the cranberry 2005 bitterness.
    My notes of richness probably extends to the nose and not so much palate but I very much enjoyed this and I am a friend of richness and fruit,

15. The bitterness of the 2005 is likely from Botrytis, whereas the 2004 possesses substantial dry extract. Botrytis will begin to dominate the 2005 at some point and the Champagne will oxidise.

Mike Humphreys likes this.
  16. I have opened and drunk 4 bottles of this Rose in the last few months, the last being two days ago. All have been excellent!

17. Nicos,
    My favourite Rosé of the last decade. It has changed a little over time but I would echo your observation...... “All have been excellent”

Nicos Neocleous likes this.
  18. Surely, there can be nothing better for a wine lover in this day and age than to have a palate that’s not in sync with experts’... :p

19. Well that has suited me just fine for all these years;)