Food Kung Pao Chicken

Perhaps that's it, certainly a return to a passionate enthusiasm of my youth. The then almost exclusively Cantonese food found in London's Chinatown when I was a young student was not only inexpensive but of a hugely higher standard than is now found; likewise the grocery stores of which there were many more, patronised by Chinese people and only a few 'Islington stir-fryers in boiler suits' as Digby Anderson so cruelly and accurately characterised us-though I hasten to add I never actually wore a boiler suit.

Fuschia Dunlop's recipes always call for potato flour (either added to the marinade or right at the end of the cooking to thicken things up). I find it thickens a bit more than cornflour, so they aren't a 1:1 substitute for one another.

Enforced confinement has bred in me an almost constant urge for Chinese food for some reason.
This very much chimes with our habit of heading straight to a Chinese restaurant on our return from a week or two in France, where we may well have eaten and drunk wonderfully but the thought of a Fung Shing at the end of the rainbow became stronger and stronger as our return to Blighty beckoned!