TN In need of some summer quaffing? In Lidl tomorrow

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Tom Cannavan, May 20, 2020.

1. My daughter very kindly visited 2 Lidl stores after only finding the Paço do Bispo and the Falanghina (3 bottles of each) in her local store on Friday. She then arrived (at a social distance) on Saturday armed with 2 bottles each of the Grüner Veltliner, Ceo Godello and the Barrica Rías Baixas. So, along with half a dozen Vinhos Verdes recently purchased from Waitrose I should have some pleasant Summer garden quaffers :)

2. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Your sorted, just as the weather plays ball too...

3. Tom Cannavan

I blame predictive text

Paul Anderson likes this.
  4. I just hope your predictive weather is correct :D

5. Hoovered up most of the Northwich stock this morning. Godello, Albariño and gruner. Also the Branco at £5.99 which we tried yesterday. I seem to be the only punter tuned in around here!

6. Tom Cannavan

Well????

7. Tom Cannavan

Lovely - seems to be generally decent availability which is good :)

8. I tried the GV, Albariño and Godello. All good but for me the Godello the pick of the bunch so I went back and hoovered up some more. The red Priorat though was not for me and after a glass and went straight to the freezer - the curse of Carignan!

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  9. Fantastic. Been out in the garden all day. Steaks for the BBQ tonight and will eat in the garden. Lidl GV for scallop starter. Looks like there's more (similar weather) to come all weekend.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  10. I'm not sure what to have this evening but I am wondering if the Godello will be the bargain white wine of the year for several of us.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  11. Likewise, though I think the GV might run it close.
    I've just finished my week on call so I thought I would try the Medici Riccardi Bolgheri 2016. Not the cheapest that Lidl sells (~ £12) but it is a lot of wine for the money. Nose has lots of dark berry fruit with smokey, exotic spices (black cardamom perhaps) and dried herbs. Quite a bit of black olive and tannin give the impression of tapenade on the palate along with some sweet cherry and blackcurrant fruit. Long finish.
    It might not be everybody's cup of tea because it's pretty in your face but nonetheless a very good bottle of wine which I can only imagine will improve and certainly better VFM than I was expecting.

12. I returned to Lidl in Stratford today and they still have plenty of these wines. I bought two more of the Godello and one of the Rias Biaxas. Tonight though I'm trying the Paco do Bispo.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  13. Eventually opened the Godello.
    • 2019 CEO Godello Monterrei Monterrei - Spain, Galicia, Monterrei (09/06/2020)
      Pale straw; spicy, on the leaner side, musky, pear skin; dry, with underlying rich notes, focused; finishes well though on short side. One for drinking over short term, but surprisingly good. (88 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker
    Bit stingy with the score, I suspect. We re-upped with a couple more, but in view of synthetic cork, these will be drunk in the near future.

• 2018 Eisacktaler Kellerei / Cantina Valle Isarco Grüner Veltliner Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler Adler - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Valle Isarco / Eisacktaler (20/06/2020)
      Primrose colour; gentle spices, easy going aromatics; rich, acidity provides a neat kick, hints of tropical fruit, spicy, on the full side; for the short term. (86 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker
    Don't serve too cold - final glass the best.