TN In need of some summer quaffing? In Lidl tomorrow

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Tom Cannavan, May 20, 2020.

1. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

I've been marginally impressed by some of the wines in Lidl's 'Wine Tour' of special parcels that runs every two months, but their Med-focused selection in stores from tomorrow has thrown up some lovely little wines if the nine samples I got hold of are representative. Full tasting notes:

Lidl 'Wine Tour' 2020 | wine-pages

Nice Alto Adige Gruner, unusual and delicious barrel-fermented Rias Baixas, a beautful Godello, a fine Cava, a tasting little Portugues white, and more.

2. I may well wander up the road tomorrow, if time permits. The whites have some appeal, particularly in view of current weather.

3. Lidl? That'd mean leaving the house ... I've not been further than putting out the bins since March!

Just got 12 bottles of Von Schubert Max Grunhauser 2007 Gutsriesling out of TWS storage, which I'm hoping will provide some summer drinking and cooking wine.

It was a bit odd that, despite being in storage at TWS for 10 years, it came in a new logo TWS box (not original cardboard box, or even 2010 vintage TWS logo box), suggesting it had been repacked in the last few months, presumably in the last week for delivery. Either the original box had failed, or something else? If somebody had to go in an repack it, I'm a bit surprised that I didn't just get a message back saying they were unable to fulfil that delivery at the moment, as they're not sending out mixed cases that require picking.

4. Tom Cannavan

Yes, the Godello lovely, though the cheapie Portuguese white is very pleasant.

5. A few years ago they had an Alto Adige Sylvaner in the same range which was very pleasant. I'll have to keep an eye out!

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  6. Tom Cannavan

Same producer Neil.

7. Good news, Andrew -- they are!

8. Secured the Godello & Gruner. The Alabariño was sold out - due to the the power & reach of Wine-Pages?

9. Popped in and got four each of the Godello, Grüner and Albariño. Look forward to giving these ago.
    Did you get to try the Bolgheri Tom?

10. Tom Cannavan

Mark, Joe, hope you enjoy them - especially with this beautiful weather that's perfect for them I think. Mark, the Albarino is around as I've had messages from a few people who've bought it today, so it may well come back into store. Joe, I did not taste the Bolgheri - only the 9 wines I reviewed. If you crack it open at some point, let me know how it is. I see it comes from a named estate called Medici Riccardi when many in Lidl don't, but I don't know their wines.

11. Thought I would open a bottle of the Godello tonight and in short, it's delicious. Summer quaffing puts it perfectly, but there is a bit of class in it too. Nice pear, melon and a faint whiff of struck match on the nose. Palate has a clean, lemon edge which is nicely balanced with the warmer fruit. I think this is surprisingly good for a budget supermarket wine.

Neil Holland and Tom Cannavan like this.
  12. Tom Cannavan

Excellent description.

13. Was after this this morning as well as the Portuguese white. But none there. However the Portuguese white was a quid less.

14. Tom Cannavan

Sean, interesting that NI has different pricing. Hope you enjoy it even more :)

15. Hi Tom - I bought a couple of bottles on your reviews, for which many thanks. The Gruner Veltliner I bought within the 'Tour' was from Niederoesterreich in Austria, not from the Alto Adige in Italy though.

16. Tom Cannavan

Different wine then Richard, as the one in my review is definitely from Alto Adige. Maybe the local store got mixed up if they've put it in the wine tour offer? Hope it's a good one!

adler.jpg

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  17. Picked up the Godello and Albariño in Northwich. The Portuguese white as well. Deferred opening as it is #spectacularSouthAfrica this weekend plus a Loire Zoom call with the North West forumites.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  18. I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I'll check again next time I'm there.

19. I shall look these out when I next run the gauntlet of essential shopping.
    Whilst I am there will any of these or anything else that springs to mind work in a "Spritzer" ?
    Debbi enjoys a white wine and soda, but she tells me that the best ones are made by our regular curry house who I think use the most awful cheap Suav Blanc/other grapes mix that they seem to get from a wholesaler.
    Any thoughts would be truly welcomed.

20. Tom Cannavan

When I looked at Lidl's site earlier to check something I did note that their special offer white wine at the moment is a "French Chardonnay" - at £2.99. That might fit Debbi's bill, though I suspect it could be even worse than your curry house special.... Duty, and the VAT on the duty, is £2.68. The remaining 31p has to cover absolutely everything else....

They do also have a Vinho Verde at under a fiver that is respectable and half way to a spritzer already....

Raymond Tilney likes this.
  21. Did you Tom - or anyone - try the German Pinot Noir which I think is part of this offer? Under a fiver and also reccoed in The Times last Saturday.

22. Tom Cannavan

I didn't Adam. I read a note somewhere on this wine recently that was pretty negative but I honestly can't remember where or whether the taster had any credibility - it may have been something I stumbled upon in a blog when putting my article together.

23. Is it sold in a bottle? :eek::eek::eek:

24. Tom Cannavan

With a label and a cork :)

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  25. I visited Lidl in Stratford, east London today. They seemed to have most of this range in stock. I bought a bottle each of the Godello, the Gruner Veltliner, the Carles Priorat amd the Paco do Bisco. This evening I opened the Godello and I concur absolutely with the sentiments expressed above. It really is delicious and just right for this weather. Yum!