NWR Family car advice

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Ben Hunting, May 26, 2020.

1. If you care about the climate crisis don't own an SUV. They are more energy intensive to produce and have lower fuel efficiency due to their extra weight and bulky profile. Indeed the increased sales of SUVs has more than negated all the fuel efficiency enhancements of the improvements in the combustion engine in the last ten years I believe I read recently. Plus a normal estate car has at least as much boot space as an SUV and often more. If you believe that the idea that you're "safer" then of course the corollary is that those of us who don't use them are less so.

2. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Jonathan, but you would not suggest that people who believe they are safer, make a deliberate decision to drive something less safe, to show some sort of solidarity with non-SUV drivers?

3. Well there are a few considerations. If you would actually like an electric car then you can afford one with salary sacrifice especially if your a higher rate payer. (Over 40% off the price of the car, insurance, servicing etc) of course you don’t own any residual in the car at the end but octupusEV are the guys for that if interested.
    Depending on budget I’ve always in the past looked at cars around 3 years old but gone with the top of range rather than a much lesser low end but newer car.
    AMG E63 estate on the other end of the scale to a full electric :)

Volvo XC60 a very solid choice.
    I have a Jaguar F Pace (discontinued 3 litre V6 petrol) and its great on space, performance and the tech has just about sorted itself out (now have Apple car play as well which is pretty good) personally I think it’s a car that needs a decent engine and is setup to be quite “sporty” so can be quite jiggly on the suspension.
    BMW X5 is a horrible car to drive from my viewpoint. Nice car in many ways but drove like a boat (had the V8 as a loan once)
    Tiguan was on the smaller and expensive side when we last looked for the wife’s car.

heard the Skoda Kodiaq is decent but not even been in one.

Ben Hunting likes this.
  4. Alpine B5 Touring surely? All the car anyone could need :)

Jim Agar likes this.
  5. If you live in London the first questions are how much do you really need a car and how much of a premium are you prepared to pay for the convenience (if it even is a convenience)? I don't think I'd have one now if I didn't have my own off road parking, but then I don't have children and use a bicycle and/or public transport for the vast majority of local journeys.

Ben Hunting likes this.
  6. Buffy-Porson two seater.

Ian Black likes this.
  7. Interesting how you and Chiu Lin differ. I grew up with estates and my wife grew up with SUVs and we lean in each direction.

In New York, we rented a Subaru Outback to go to the North Fork for a few weeks, which almost bridges the gap between an estate and an SUV, being an estate in shape but more raised from the ground.

Strangely, Outbacks are almost the default car on Long Island and sell well in the U.S. yet seem completely unpopular in the U.K.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Jim Agar likes this.
  8. I'm not.

I also like Car Play!

9. I've always used public transport but children completely changed the equation.

Nick Donovan likes this.
  10. Agree with this.

Not sure SUVs are safer. I think they're much more prone to rolling over than normal cars and rolling over tends to be bad news for the occupants.
    Definitely not safer for pedestrians.

11. This was pretty much our approach - got a shortlist based on budget, engine specs (e.g. we knew we wanted petrol, which ruled out some models, and wanted it to do 0-60 in roughly 6-8 seconds), general reviews, then test drove/sat a few. Make sure you know how big your baby seats and buggy are, if you don't take them with you!

Some we managed to rule out without even driving them, e.g. Focus boot clearly too small once the buggy was in it, Octavia felt plasticy, BMW 5-series obviously going to be difficult to park in zone 2 London without offering that much additional internal space. Some we managed to rule out after driving them (e.g. Audi A4) - you just 'know'. Ended up with BMW 328i GT - sadly discontinued but to our minds sits in the sweet spot between an estate and an SUV. You might consider a used 3-series GT as it seems to suit your needs.

12. ‘Er Indoors has had BMW 3 series touring for the last 15 years and then changed (down?) to the X1.

Upsides include
    - easier parking due to being both shorter and higher, a big bonus in the city
    - better visibility
    - easier loading of shopping and kids (which will be important with little kiddies and their car seats)
    - better on the green lanes (not so relevant for London, although some of those kerbs in Tesco’s Car park can be quite high)

Downsides
    - slightly less boot space
    - not as sporty through the fast bends (if that is relevant)
    - no 6 cylinder engines if performance is your goal, which it does not seem to be)

Overall, only the boot space would be a concern if I was you.

13. I wonder how much importance people here place on fuel economy? Not much by the look of things!

Edit to add: Of course there's also the local pollution aspect (which was probably the most significant for me) and here plug-in hybrids can be good even if they're arguably worst of both worlds in some senses.

Jonathan Hesford likes this.
  14. most cars at this level come with a choice of various petrol and Diesel engines and then from mild hybrid to plug in, if not full EV options.

I have driven diesels for the last 20 years on the continent as I have been driving over 20,000 miles a year.

Now I drive less, and will probably not buy another oil burner again.

15. Being quite tall with 3 outsized teenage children and having to do quite a lot of short journeys, I now have a Skoda Superb estate petrol. There's more legroom in the back than an S-class and the boot's the size of a tennis court.

35mpg urban / 55mpg motorway a definite plus. Also it costs pennies to insure.

16. A great car. I used to have the diesel hatchback version.
    In fact, I was pretty committed to buying the plug-in hybrid version (in estate form) before I was seduced by the Tesla (which surprisingly also has similar boot space to S-class estate [I mean an E-class])

Dan Vyvyan likes this.
  17. An S-Class estate would be quite a car;not sure why they don't build one, they do plenty of other variants.

Dan Vyvyan likes this.
  18. Oops! I meant an E-Class ;-)

Jim Agar likes this.
  19. One of these will have to do instead, Jim, and could be the answer to Ben's original question

Jim Agar likes this.
  20. Probably right Dan, we had a succession of E- Class Estates when the kids were young, W124 300’s and 280’s. Built like tanks in those days but their successors really went downhill in build quality, for possibly 20 years. No hesitation in recommending them again now if they suit but I really enjoyed my BMW 540/535D Tourings as family rockets before switching to the more nimble 3 Series when it was just the two of us again( plus dog and golf clubs!).

21. Snap! Great minds and all that. You'll be telling me you like red burgundy next.
    Have to say I love this car and, touch wood, can quite easily see myself owning it for a long time.

Nick Amis likes this.
  22. It's good isn't it. There aren't many (everyone seems to buy 320d...) so I ended up having to go to Nottingham to collect it, and compromised on having 80s-style pale tan leather and cream carpets in order to get one with (most of) the options I wanted. The interior therefore looks a bit crass and isn't practical, but everything else about it is great. Looks like this from the outside:

[​IMG]

23. Nick

I hope you have string backed driving gloves - in fact I hope you 'sport' them. That is the correct terminology, I think

Nick Amis likes this.
  24. Tan leather's great. I hate black interiors, which is unfortunate as it seems to have been by far the most popular choice of the last two decades.

Paul Anderson likes this.
  25. Agreed Phil, this is very pale though! At least it's not bright red.