Dystopian Reality: Weekend Drinking 27-March ->

On Friday Domaine de la Bongran Vire Clesse Cuvee E.J Thevenet 2014. I love this wine and this was the first of a case of 2014 that I have drunk. It was as good as I had expected. The usual unique combination of freshness and richness at the same time, possibly lighter than some previous vintages but delightful with roast chicken cooked with fennel and artichokes. Yesterday Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 2017. Not complex but very enjoyable and looking forward to the next bottle.

8D612808-A20B-4E34-95EB-D5AD8FBF2F95.jpeg

With first rotisserie chicken of the season. Out of a blue sky the black clouds suddenly gathered, it began to spit with rain and then I knew it was time to barbecue. Shaking my fist in defiance at the Gods of Blighty, I was rewarded with only squally winds blowing my burners out on three or four occasions, but the rains, they were abated.

What to say about the accompanying wine? This is my third bottle of this. The first, a couple of years ago was a little meh. Nothing terribly or obviously wrong, just not showing anything other either. The second, seemed more developed, but was a pretty classic Chateauneuf in so many ways. Spicy, slightly earthy, with that molasses sugar thing that for me identifies a wine as Chateauneuf rather than any of the surrounding appellations. More interesting, but not quite what I was hoping for. Given the ridiculous price these sell for, I was considering putting the other six-pack on the chopping block. After all, I could replace these with a more generic version and still have plenty of shekels left over to buy something else.

This bottle has probably changed my mind.

On opening it seemed pretty similar to the previous bottle, but seemed a little more open still. After about half an hour it began to really bubble up with the magic. Whilst the palate still tended towards a fairly classic Chateauneuf style, the wine started to churn out an extraordinary bouquet of pure peony over a base of framboise or kirsch with a strangely jarring edge of white pepper thrown in for a bit of tension. The wines of Rayas are often described as Burgundian, with which I’d generally agree, with the caveat that the resemblance is not in the actual range of smells, but more in the sense that the bouquet is the thing and the palate is more of secondary interest.

Be that as it may, this has the Rayas magic after all, albeit a sort of country cousin version (if this has reached its apogee - and that’s not absolutely certain at this point). There’s nothing to suggest that this is going to head towards the refinement of bouquet and palate that is possible with the senior wine, but it certainly has enough to warrant its place in the cellar.

F20EC75A-982C-40B5-8730-AFB1B9EAE67A.jpeg
I’ve been exploring Piedmont a bit more recently. This last night was rather good with some strong-flavoured pasta sauce (pancetta, anchovies, fennel and red pepper).

Gently faded, but not washed out, red fruit and vanilla on the nose. Fresh acidity. Grippy but not at all heavy tannins. Somehow the whole thing seems fragrant and spacious. Not massively complex but everything in its place. And I promise, no sign of the 14% alcohol. Fully ready. Tenuta Rocca Barolo Bussia 2010.

A bottle of '18 Tempier Rose was a treat with sourdough pizza w lots of wild garlic pesto. A strawberry and watermelon infused delight. Is there more fun to be had in a bottle..?
By coincidence we also had Tempier rosé last night 2016. Really lovely with the BBQ'd tuna, but I wasn't really in the mood for a TN!
Talking of BBQ, the star of the show last night was actually the courgettes! Just sliced in half longitudinally and grilled for about 15 mins. Served with halloumi and a squeeze of lemon, it was really rather delicious.

Good courgettes are an underrated delicacy, though for me they must be small, not much larger than my middle finger which is admittedly larger than the average. Marcella Hazan has a recipe for a boiled salad that is a revelation, the courgettes come out tasting of the most delicate seafood.

Good courgettes are an underrated delicacy, though for me they must be small, not much larger than my middle finger which is admittedly larger than the average. Marcella Hazan has a recipe for a boiled salad that is a revelation, the courgettes come out tasting of the most delicate seafood.

The Italians are well aware of this, of course. They are the undisputed experts - I find even growing them myself I can't often get to them while they're still the right size! Never buy them in this country, of course.

decanted for about 2 hours and then drunk over the following 2 hours with honey roast gammon. Very enjoyable, lots of black currant and pencil lead. But it was not quite as open for business as I thought it would be. Just a little reticent. The tannins are firm on the finish. I think I’ll wait a while to open another one.
Thanks Simon. I opened a bottle last year and thought it was showing potential but not quite ready. It was nice but you knew it was too young and would provide more enjoyment in 5 years.

A rare bird from Pegau last night. 1997 Cuvée Justine. Bottle 69/607. Classy old school Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Very elegant with the sweetness of the Grenache well balanced by the grip of the Mourvèdre. Very long and carrying its 14% alcohol well.

Attachments

• 95614565-3198-42EF-9B96-F2B27747F09C.jpeg
    95614565-3198-42EF-9B96-F2B27747F09C.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 14
  • 9DDE7C2C-40B9-407C-B9D0-C4A608D36C1B.jpeg
    9DDE7C2C-40B9-407C-B9D0-C4A608D36C1B.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
I occasionally make a courgette and mint omelette for breakfast which is an enjoyable way to start the day.

Drove into the office last week to rescue a couple of recently delivered cases from being marooned until god-knows-when. Korean delivery tonight made a good excuse to get started.

2007 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (3/28/2020)
First of a case. Deep yellow colour is the only obvious sign that this tremendously fresh wine is in its middle age. Kaleidoscopic like all the best Rieslings, showing by turns cream, green apple, orange peel, grapefruit and burnt lime. You can detect the sugar, but it's not distracting - really refreshing and energetic. Finish lasts around 45 seconds. (93 pts.)
Korean delivery...tell us more!!

On Friday Domaine de la Bongran Vire Clesse Cuvee E.J Thevenet 2014. I love this wine and this was the first of a case of 2014 that I have drunk. It was as good as I had expected. The usual unique combination of freshness and richness at the same time, possibly lighter than some previous vintages but delightful with roast chicken cooked with fennel and artichokes. Yesterday Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 2017. Not complex but very enjoyable and looking forward to the next bottle.
Very good. I have a case of 2012 I’m half way through and I have a couple of cases of the 14 which I’d imagined I will start next year. A touch lighter won’t be a bad thing. I’m was hopeful it would be a good version given 14 was a decent white vintage.

I had a couple interesting bottles lately.

Arnaud Lambert Clos Moleton 2015 was a pleasant surprise. Ripe but nicely balanced and very pleasant to drink. His wines seem to be very high quality across the range.

Inspired by recent Piedmont 2016 offers I picked up some Voerzio’s Disanfrancesco Langhe Nebbiolo 2017 at Eataly in Paris. Serious and absolutely beautiful wine, with remarkable energy to it. A certain wine merchant suggested that Voerzio’s wines bear a similarity in structure to Domaine Leroy’s; I’ve only tasted Leroy once recently, but I can see that statement making sense even with this entry level bottling. I ordered a case immediately.

2016 Chapelle St Theodoric Les Sablons has to be my favourite CndP for the money. It’s 100% Grenache, very elegant and with almost no perceptible tannins, and the nose is pure Pu-Erh. Can’t wait to try the other St Theo cuvees.

Finally, on Saturday, I opened my treasured bottle of Fourrier CSJ 2010. I bought it at Vinmonopolet release of 2010’s in early 2013. Back then I was upset because a dude buying for a wealthy local put his arms around a pallet of Cathiard’s wines and refused to let me have a single bottle - I had done my research and really wanted some Malconsorts. By way of consolation, next to the pallet there was a stack of about 10 cases of Fourrier CSJ. I took a few bottles and then chatted with the merchant who convinced me that Rossignol’s Taillepieds was a better buy (thanks to Burghound I suppose) so I left with only one of CSJ. The bottle has since then followed me across countries, stored in various cupboards, and even survived through some very hot summers in London. Luckily, the bottle was perfect, while probably more advanced than a professionally stored one would be. This was drinking absolutely beautifully and at once made ridiculously justified all expense spent on Burgundy.

Attachments

• 0680841C-2602-4E01-9BDD-8ABCF9B2DC82.JPG
    0680841C-2602-4E01-9BDD-8ABCF9B2DC82.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 16
Chinon Les Roches Saint-Paul, Chateau De Ligré 1985, magnum. I've been wanting to open this for ever and never found an occasion, so I've opened it today with the acceptance that if it doesn't get finished the world will not end. It is a wine, quite simply, of heartbreaking beauty, not grand or complex but stunningly fresh with an astonishing aroma of smoked blackcurrants and graphite and that perfect integration of register that comes only from age. It really does taste of the year 1985, which I fully recognise as a subjective and nostalgic judgement. Yet another perfect 1980s cork-when did things go so badly wrong? this bottle was intentionally stored upright for the last 18 months to (very successfully)settle the fine sediment.
No alcohol stated on the label but I'd be very surprised were it more than 11%.

Last edited:
upload_2020-3-29_14-24-9.png

Following on from the PR2012 - we have had these two Italians: The Vermentino at 14% was a big mouthful of peaches/mango and apricot - fantastic value for money - illustrates why Sardinia is the best place for this varietal and you don't have to pay Capichera prices to find a good example. If there is a better Italian Rose than SOF I have yet to taste it. It has an impeccable pedigree - the original family that owned Ornellaia - stunning soft strawberry fruit, rich palate but yet still fun - dazzling rose.

Korean delivery...tell us more!!

It was on Well St in Hackney, but wasn't very good unfortunately; the only dish that really excited was a seafood pancake, but the rice, meats and dumplings were mediocre. Selected because it had good ratings on Deliveroo, and a friend we Zoomed yesterday afternoon was complimenting a Korean he'd been to recently in Finsbury Park.

It was on Well St in Hackney, but wasn't very good unfortunately; the only dish that really excited was a seafood pancake, but the rice, meats and dumplings were mediocre. Selected because it had good ratings on Deliveroo, and a friend we Zoomed yesterday afternoon was complimenting a Korean he'd been to recently in Finsbury Park.
The one right next to Finsbury Park station was probably Dotori, which is modest but excellent food, but given size and kitchen capacity would be very surprised if open for delivery though maybe takeaway, will investigate.